View Single Post
      05-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #22
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
OBVIOUSLY, the C63 sounds incredible and is an overall more masculine and mighty car. However, I would never buy such an expensive car with that lousy gearbox. At least you can enhance the M4 experience with an exhaust. That C63 DCT is pretty lame. Even the ZF8 auto in the series BMW does a better job than that drugged C63 DCT.
I will be the first to admit that overall, as a performance-oriented gearbox, the DCT is better than the MCT. It just is. I agree that the ZF 8-speed auto that BMW uses is brilliant as well.

That said, the MCT is not crap. I certainly wouldn't call it lousy. It's the car's weak point but I think that its automatic modes are far less jerky/clumsy than the DCT's.

In M Mode, the DCT is flat-out more responsive. There is no lag on upshifts whatsoever. There can be some hesitation on upshits with the MCT but the downshifts are stellar.

MB's problem is that it builds all of its transmissions in house. It doesn't like to outsource like BMW does for the DCT (Getrag, I believe?) and 8-speed auto (ZF).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Lets not skip the part where he prefers the C63 steering. Oh and he really likes the C63 chassis.

Wasn't just that he doesn't like the S55.
Those aspects always get overlooked in comparisons involving the W204, particularly the LCI model. It's like AMG can't shake its reputation from 10 years ago.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0