View Single Post
      05-28-2023, 02:43 AM   #210
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmoney View Post
so by this logic, those of us wanting 6MT are unlikely to benefit from waiting a year or two for the G87 comp which if ends up being built won’t come in a manual…just like G8x manual buyers they won’t get a power bump even with LCI. that being said it seems the G87 S58 is significantly underrated anyway…so there isnt much room in the hierarchy.
That sounds mostly right to me.

However, while peak torque can't be raised, non-peak areas could be raised. Using the IND dyno run as a reference, non-peak is from 6K** to redline. Boosting torque here will also increase peak HP. But really, "improving" the S58 just means reverting to what the M3/M4 already has.

As far as "room in the hierarchy," I think that's the bigger sticking point. The problem isn't technical, it's business, else BMW wouldn't have detuned the S58 in the first place.

My totally uniformed wild ass guesses:

1. There won't be a C. (If so, I predict no manual.)

2. The CS will have peak TQ and HP bumps but be very expensive and have poor bang-for-buck. (To protect the M3/M4.) Also no manual or DCT.

3. The base G87 LCI will receive tiny bumps for marketing purposes (+10HP, -10lb AKA forged wheels) and lose the manual*. Maybe gain some more cosmetic options.

*because as the ICE/MT era winds down, BMW will be incentivized to drop the MT option so they can carry less parts inventory. The take rate will have to be incredible to keep the MT alive, so I'm betting against it (see: M240i).

**5870 RPM is the precise number according to Tag.

Last edited by Squidget; 05-28-2023 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0