06-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underated View Post
I am thinking about taking my F30 N55 to the track too and I would like to use Pagid RS29 pads on the front as well, but some says that the pads is only compatible with new rotors.

My question is how many miles do you have on the rotors before using the pads and what is your bedding procedure?
I mounted the RS29 with 6,000 miles on the stock rotors. I know Pagid and many people say that pads may not work as well when other pads have already deposited material on the rotors but I had zero issue. I have swapped street and Pagid pads for years for the track with the same rotors.

The trick is to clean your rotors from pad materials before swapping them. A common trick is to use your track pads for this: track compounds are fairly abrasive when they are cold, so you just mount them on your car a few days before heading out to the track and simply commute with them. In normal driving circumstances your track pads will not heat up much and stay in 'abrasive' mode, removing the transfer layer of your street pads. You are then ready to bed your track pads and I try to follow Pagid's recommended procedure (although the 112 MPH part is not obvious if you are not at the track ) :

1. BREAKING-IN
(creating a perfect contact-pattern between rotor and brake pad surface)
10 stops with low pressure and low temperature from 150 km/h (90 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH). Distance between each brake stop approximately 600 – 800 meters ( 600 to 800 yards).

2. HEATING-UP
(Warm up in order to initiate some core heat in the whole brake system)
A sequence of 5 stops with medium to high pressure from 180 km/h (112 MPH) to approximately 60 km/h (37 MPH) with maximum acceleration between the stops. After the last stop cool down for 3 minutes with the speed preferably not higher than 100 km/h (62 MPH).

3. RECOVERY STOPS
3 to 5 stops with low pressure from 150 km/h (90 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH). Distance between each brake stop approximately 600 – 800 meters ( 600 to 800 yards).

After your trackday, leave the track pads for the trip back home or the next day and it will clean up the rotors again. You then just reinstall your street pads.
In brief, cleaning the surface of your rotors is the secret and taking advantage of the more abrasive nature of cold track pads works well.

The RS29's have proven to work well on my stock 335i brakes and show little wear after 3 trackdays. They surely are tough on the rotors and brakes may end up grinding a bit, but without consequences on performance and it will go away after the track. Over time you will have to think about new rotors though.
Aftermarket rotors are cheaper and just as good as OEM, so I purchased a set of StopTech 340mm rotors for only $275 from Turner Motorsports and keep my OEM rotors in OK shape for when I sell the car.

I hope this helps