View Single Post
      04-04-2023, 01:27 PM   #4
ratchild
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingtaser View Post
looks great! yes, tinting would make it even more evil

interesting to read that you compared it with the S.

why did you chose it over the S? and what was the decision to trade it against the panamera?
To answer your first question - why the 740i over the S Class? For one - the looks. I find the S Class to be too understated. It blends in with other Merc sedans too much for my taste. Also, the 740i was more comfortable and the tech was better, in my opinion. I've had a few Mercedes over the years and I never kept them longer than 18 months. For some reason, I never bonded with them. They were boring (for lack of a better word).

Comparing the 740i to the Panamera is a little more complicated. The Panamera was certainly more sporty and more of a driver's car. The tech was solid (slightly dated in my 2020). However, the car was not comfortable - the seat became more and more uncomfortable over the years of ownership and I couldn't quite find a position or setting that made it better. That was the biggest reason for looking for a new ride.

Why go full luxury? Mostly because I've driven sport sedans (and a few exotics) over the past few years and I wanted to try something different, with a focus on tech and comfort. I was getting a little reckless with the speed of these sport cars and figured I had better quit while I was ahead. And when I test drove the 740i, I was (and still am) completely blown away by what BMW has done in this generation/model. Truly a leap forward.
Appreciate 2