Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchild View Post

Why go full luxury? Mostly because I've driven sport sedans (and a few exotics) over the past few years and I wanted to try something different, with a focus on tech and comfort. I was getting a little reckless with the speed of these sport cars and figured I had better quit while I was ahead. And when I test drove the 740i, I was (and still am) completely blown away by what BMW has done in this generation/model. Truly a leap forward.
I fully support this comment. Congrats on the car. I just picked up my 760i last night for the same reasons. I went from a Stage 2 X5M Competition to the 760i as my daily. I have a solid 1-1.5hr commute in NYC for 10 miles to get home. If you do the math, that's stop and go all the way home in crappy streets. Full luxury was the way to go.
I have a bunch of other side toys for nice roads, but what you said above was exactly why I went for the 7er.

My assessment is that it's the most boring fun car I've ever owned. Technology is a bit intimidating. Took me a while to find out how to open the glove box, and I work on cars as a hobby / tinker with my own tuning.
The lack of direct controls is a bit of a PITA (rear sun shade, HVAC, etc.) but I guess I'll have to get used to using the BMW Personal Assistant via voice commands.

Have you tried some spirited driving with it? I would not feel comfortable at all on the backroads with this, whereas, I would comfortably oversteer with the X5M and had it doing full blown drifts on the track. Weird to say...