07-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #19
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by esslera View Post
hollpe sorry to jump on an old thread, but after some advice. We are just south of Sheffield, and I was wondering how you fared with the RWD in winter when the roads are a bit slippier. We have a diesel X3, and I'm struggling to understand whether the IX3 will be OK without winter tyres etc.
Sorry I'm a bit late replying on this one! It wasn't really that cold when I got mine at the end of Jan so there wasn't any snow. It was ok in the slippery conditions. However I will be putting winters on later this year. 2+ tons of car, snowy conditions and hills is not a great combination! We also do a few trips up to Scotland in the winter as well, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sytner's bodyshop is full of 4WD's on summer tyres with front end damage in the winter! Even with all the fancy trickery of the latest x-drive, Quattro etc it can't do much to stop the momentum of hard summer rubber sliding towards some object when the conditions are bad.

I've always had winters on my cars (mostly RWD BMW's) and never had an issue with getting about. The only thing that has stopped them has been ground clearance when the snow gets really deep! Depending on how long you keep your car you are not too far off breaking even when you factor in the reduced wear on your summer tyres and the value when you come to sell them.

I'll start looking for some soon and report back with what I can find!
Appreciate 0