01-24-2024, 09:50 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC2er View Post
Not long ago. I made a post asking alternative oil for the b58 in the g42. I did not get a exact answer. So I emailed the genius, this is what he said

“For your BMW, you can add engine oils that meet the following oil rating standards: BMW Longlife-01 FE. If an engine oil suitable for continuous use is not available, up to 1 US quart/liter of an engine oil with the following oil rating can be added: API SL, API SM, or API SN.

When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has the viscosity grade SAE 0W-30. The suitable viscosity grade is indicated on a label in the engine compartment.”

For the record, this is what I wrote to them “For my brand new G42 m240i with ztk package, only ll-17 fe+ which is 0w20 is listed. However, during the summer time I feel that might be too thin, especially so when doing occasional track days. Is there any alternative spec with a higher viscosity grade I could use? If there are, what are those specs? Does it void the warranty if I do use it?”

Does this mean that I can add 0-30w as well?
Check your car's owners manual. The one for my 2024 230i xDrive allows for the use of 0w-20 or 0w-30 oil.

But check your owners manual. And then based on my experience with other brands of cars -- and the same I think applies in the case of BMW -- check with your dealer/service department in case BMW has removed 0w-30 from the list of suitable oils.

More and more factories are directing car owners to the dealer for these questions to get more up to date info -- for example while in my VW's manual VW called for 10K mile oil/filter services a bulletin was issued that cut this to 5K miles due the area/region (KC MO) being (re) classified as a severe/harsh usage area -- and so the factory doesn't have to reprint the owners manual.
Appreciate 0