08-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdanomite View Post
well, depends on your level of technical skill. for the avg. DIYer, i'd say 7/10 (10 being hard as poop).

1. remove airbox tube and airbox (6mm hose clamp on front and backside of box, 2 torx screw for the air tube, unclip vacuum tube attached to air box, 3 wire harness attachments on back of airbox must be detached)
2. are you still with me???
3. remove pipe with diverter valves (gray lock ring, twist to unlock, pressure sensor near throttle body)
4. remove throttle body (4 10mm bolts, plastic tube, wire connector)
5. carefully pull up on harness junction underneath throttle to access aluminum torx bolt that holds hard fuel line. bolt is marked blue (this must be replaced and torqued properly)
6. undo all fuel connections at HPFP, 2 total (17mm). **crack them loose carefully, high PSI**
7. HPFP is located on the side of the block under oil filter housing
8. disconnect wire connector to HPFP
9. THIS IS THE TRICKY PART - using a LONG 5mm ball-headed allen socket, remove the 3 allen bolts that hold the HPFP. **oil will leak when removing pump**
10. align HPFP cam (it only fits one way) and re-assemble everything in reverse.

that should be everything. if you can follow those steps without pics, you're above the avg. DIYer. good luck, don't hold me responsible if you mess up.
Reviving this thread....

Thanks for posting this. Since you seem to be in the know, curious about how much this would actually cost to pay a dealer to do this? How many hours are billed? Any idea on the cost of the HPFP itself?
Appreciate 0