02-22-2024, 02:04 PM   #4
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsti View Post
Coming from other platforms that require tuning for any engine modifications, I'm curious if either piggyback (Dahler, RaceChipe, JB4, etc.) or unlocked ecu tuning is required on the S58 for engine modifications in order to be safe.

I'm specifically interested aftermarket intakes. I'm not really interested in exhausts yet, although I'm looking at mid-pipes. From what I've gathered so far, based on how the motors are set up, intakes will be fine. Thanks for the info!
There is no MAF sensor on S58 so no intake specific tuning is required (B58 has it but mostly to check the airflow model plausibility with no effect on fuel trims). Stock Compressor Map values may become a bit too aggressive which would lead to more boost control PID corrections but all of that would be well within acceptable parameters range. An effect of a higher flowing intake will be seen as lower final WGDC value compared to a stock one. However, as DME is targeting torque first the performance with high flow intake would be almost identical to a stock one if you leave the map stock or have a tune that still targets torque - DME would just use less cylinder filling and boost to hit that main torque target.