View Single Post
      05-17-2023, 01:33 AM   #215
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
While I'm somewhat in agreement, let's not go overboard.

G80 xDrive from the factory, has ~1 degree less front camber, higher weight, slightly higher front end, and steering that is less crisp.

While I agree that it is a very good system, there are certainly some downsides.

If the G87 was offered with xDrive at the same HP level, I'm not sure which one I'd get, but prob RWD.
My comments are based on ownership experience with G82s both in xDrive and in pure RWD. I didn't detect any meaningful downsides to M xDrive in my time with that version. It never felt less crisp to steer than the RWD cars (maybe due to the slightly faster steering rack?).

I've pushed it quite hard and was impressed by how well M xDrive does in corners. I could see why the xDrive cars were seeing incrementally faster lap times over the RWD Comp at most venues. As mentioned, has nothing to do with skill, the car just does a stellar job optimizing its usage of available grip at both axles. Well worth the weight penalty.

In this video, they explain that the system watches for understeer and actively avoids it. It works exactly as I described previously.

Appreciate 1
baron951748.00