12-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #20
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
That was a very informative explanation, and exactly why most everyone prefers a true flash tune...but here we are.

And not meaning any disrespect, but it sort of reads like you're suggesting Jesse's tunes, or the JB4 in general, is not very safe. I've heard there's been lots of blown turbos with Map 3, which likely coincides with your explanation of the fail-safes being over-extended. However, for maps 1, 2, 4, and 5, plus 6 when done by someone that knows what they're doing, all my research suggests the JB4, and the Dinan, are great products with a tremendous track record. Will catastrophes sometimes happen? Of course, but that's part of the game. Heck, there's even risk in simply doing a dyno with a stock car.

Something else you made me wonder about is regarding the knock sensors. Does this mean our cars with piggyback tunes are essentially working non-stop off of knock detection? I sure hope not!
Mostly what I’m getting at; is that we are not tuning here. Pushing the boost to find the limits of your factory engine failsafes on your given fuel blend and then backing it up a little is not tuning, not where I come from. So largely I’m just talking because I am triggered by the loose use of a phrase I take more seriously

Yes by merely cranking the boost and make no adjustments to ignition or fuel injection to accommodate it, you are now leaning on your knock feedback strategy full time along with wideband o2 feedback. But the ECU does have trim tables where it “remembers” things so you aren’t just knocking like hell every time you floor it. Probably the first few times though, as it takes notice and learns.

I’m not saying jesses “tune” isn’t safe. Sounds like he’s watching the logs and finding how far your combo can go before you’re beyond the thresholds of protection. Sounds like that in essence is what you are paying for.. otherwise anyone can turn up boost more. Watching your logs for issues and bringing in the boost softer is all you can really do to make it safer though. You’re very limited in capabilities with just boost control, no matter how strategic.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50