Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
What are you getting for a track car skierman?
I'm getting a '98 E36 M3 with 87K on it. It's absolutely stock, it even has the stock airbox still (a rarity these days). I'm going to pay $9K for it. I'll have it inspected by my local BMW speed shop and throw some track pads on it and head out. I'll probably do some other stuff over the winter like put on brake ducts, the x brace and strut brace, and probably a SSK. Eventually I'd like to put in some race seats, a roll bar, and 5 point harnesses.

I originally looked at one on a salvage title that had been hit in the left rear quarter panel. The reconstruction looked alright and I would have bought it but it had evidence that a supercharger had been installed at one time and then removed. There were some other electric gremlins too, no traction control, and a messed up MAF. I decided to pass.

I figure I'm getting into an E36 M3 for less than the price of motorcycle, PWC, or snowmobile. It's hard to pass up. Plus, I won't have to insure it at the cost of $300+ every track weekend like I have to with my E92. Tires and brakes are a lot cheaper for the E36. Also, there are a ton of parts for E36s aftermarket and used.

The only drawback is I'll be going a little slower and I won't have the V8 soundtrack in my ear as I head down the front stretch.