04-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
Why is this called an M Sport? There are no performance gains are there? Just some stuck on aero kits. Is this just a marketing ploy? Does BMW typically put their M Badge on vehicles without bumping up performance? Seems like it kinda waters down the name.

We are new to the BMW world but when I think of M series I think of performance (bigger brakes, more HP/TQ), apparently that is the wrong assumption. I can't help but feel like this kit is similar to what some 18 year old would glue on their honda civic. I wonder why this doesn't at least have a retuned ECU. That could be done at a small cost and offer great performance gains. People have been tuning the N55 for a while now.

Maybe it is just the nomenclature - M Sport vs M Series?
M Sport typically gives you firmer ride (shorter springs), servotronic steering or better (faster rack maybe), yes some subtle skirts etc which are painted (vs unpainted plastic which to some could look crude), sports seats, sports steering wheel, bigger wheels/wider tyres. These are not M cars, they are simply set up up to look and feel a little more sporty. The changes work in many countries, maybe just not where you are.