Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
A few thoughts:

There's no doubt the e9x m3 is glorious sounding. However, every video I've heard makes the f8x m3 sound wonderful as well. I've heard plenty of great sounding n54/n55 engines, so I would be truly surprised if the f8x M isn't capable of wonderful sounds.

If you go back and re-review the e46 and e90 m3s when brand new, you might rememebr the e46 was a weak sounding, raspy, and bit tepid vehicle at low RPMs. It was also rough riding/oversprung.

The e90 was better sounding and better riding and reviewers felt it was more cold and clinical as a result. Bah.

Final thought: This is a relative to my background, but I think the best vehicle to benchmark this vehicle against is the e39 m5. It's dimensions are the next best thing to identical. It has a very similar profile in terms of peak output numbers & low end torquey nature.

Mainly though, the f80 m3 is a much bigger vehicle than say the e46 and notably bigger than the e90. It's now a 5-series from a decade ago in size.

And I think it's going to compare very favorably when looked at through that prism, in terms of feel, connection, and performance.
+1
Appreciate 0