View Single Post
      05-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #22
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Anything with Brembo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
That IS a ceramic BBK ..... it's just the rotors that are different ..... calipers & pads are the same. The rotors are $10-$20k an AXLE.

and +1 on the hype-factor
That's actually not true.

Traditionally, the calipers and pads are in fact be different between carbon ceramic brake kits and cast iron.

For example: Porsche offers an optional PCCB upgrade for the majority of their vehicle models. The calipers may be the same between the cast iron option or carbon ceramic option,... BUT,... the calipers were engineered specifically around the ability to be used with carbon ceramic discs and pads.

Also, in the event that you switch to a cast iron replacement disc on a vehicle that came originally equipped with carbon ceramic (which is very common for people who are regularly or aggressively tracking their vehicle) it is mandatory to change the pad compound at the same time.

Carbon ceramic is a brilliant technology, but not quite ready for high-performance aftermarket use, where the driving style, road or surface conditions, intended usage, and vehicle setup can all change regularly. Carbon ceramic brakes work near flawlessly within an specific temperature range and up to mildly aggressive or spirited driving. Outside of that range, most often during heavier and more aggressive track or track like conditions, they are much more susceptible to performance and longevity related issues.

There are a few companies in the process of fighting to be the first aftermarket supplier with a legitimate carbon ceramic offering for aftermarket consumption, unfortunately most of them are not actually manufacturers of the components or directly involved in the development of carbon or carbon ceramic technology, and are simply using trial and error engineering to piece together brake systems.

There are definitely going to be a few people out there who are willing to be early adopters of this technology on their street cars, but there will be a price to pay for signing up to be the "guinea pig" for these companies to actually road test their systems. ME...I'd rather wait until a proper supplier and manufacturer of such technology releases a properly engineered system where they were able to do significant laboratory and road testing with proper engineering, R&D, and failure testing to ensure the product is specifically suited to our type of market.
BremboGuy on TWITTER Enthusiast Extraordinaire - While I do happen to work for Race Technologies, US Distributor for BREMBO Brakes, this is my personal account and the views and opinions expressed here are my own, and NOT that of Brembo or Race Technologies. The information I share is 100% factual to the best of my knowledge and I will be the first to admit when I am wrong.
Appreciate 0