03-04-2024, 11:30 AM   #3
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaSortaTerrible View Post
New G87 driver here, coming from a Civic Type R. For context, the type R was my first manual and I put around 17k miles on it, and I’ve put less than 1k miles on the M2. So, I’m still a noob manual driver.

That said, so far the manual gearing seems better suited to speed and not really to stop and go city driving. Clutch is kinda weird when getting into first, hard to get that 1-2 gear shift smooth (although I’m getting there), and it can be hard to find the appropriate gear for low low speed traffic. 1st gear can be a bit jerky with heavy engine braking, as expected, but I feel like I’m lugging the engine a bit at really low speeds in 2nd gear. In fact I almost stalled entering my parking garage at work yesterday.

What do you guys think?
Well it is more of a performance car than the civic, so you are correct to think that the civic gear ratio is better suited for the city and that the M2 G87 is better for higher speeds.

That being said, 1st gear is temperamental and short. You don’t want to lug your engine below 13-15mph whilst in 2nd. It’s okay to cruise around at 3-4k rpm in 1st if need be. That’s certainly better than slowly straining engine in 2nd.

What mode are you driving around in if I may ask? If you’re in Sport or Sport+, yeah it’s going to want to move through gears, hence why you may receive some jerk movement at lower speeds and lower gears.

What do you mean clutch is “kind of weird”? Like the catch point is weird? Your catch point is high up, this is why a lot of guys throw the clutch stops in from Burger tuning to shorten the bite gap.

She doesn’t like to move on flat surface without giving her about 1-1.5k rpm in sport+ so you’ll receive a lot of what’s called “chattering” if you’re below the optimal rpm while coming off the clutch.

Also- try not to come off too slow. Once she catches, let it go or you’ll slip too much.
Appreciate 3