04-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler
Great points, but I suspect that the 335i turbo engine isn't as light as the non-turbo engine due to beefed up components to deal with the turbo configuration. Wonder how heavy the engine of the V8 M3 will be compared to the 335i engine. And even if it's lighter I wonder if it makes much of a difference. As you can tell I don't know much about engines and the weight difference they can make in a car but this is the one of the ways (in addition to the use of lightweight materials like u said) I can think of the m3 being lighter than the 335i.
Yes, I know the M3 will be lighter than the 335i, even though it will have bigger wheels, brakes, etc. I just don't think it can avoid going up over the E46 version. I bet we see a CSL version in the US this time, though.

I would be interested in knowing comparative engine weights. The S54 with iron block is fairly heavy, and even though the turbo N54 has a magnesiium/aluminum block it's got two turbos and plumbing, intercooler, etc. I have not seen any info. on the V10 weight.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0