03-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3to1 View Post
Honestly if you live in a city it is basically useless around town (except maybe on the interstates through town) ... too many false positives ... as far as i can tell the main value of a radar detector is on interstate travel where you hope your detector picks up the reflection off another car.
That's where the GPS feature of the Passport 9500 comes in. You can lock in false alarms and it will ignore them.

I've owned a V1, a Passport 8500, and now a 9500. Between the V1 and 8500, it's a wash. Both are great at detecting threats, and each one has features that are nice.

The 9500 takes things to a whole new level though. With the other detectors, you tend to start to ignore hits around town, and it slows your reaction to things at other times. With the 9500 it knows how fast you're going because of the GPS and can adjust sensitivity based on it. If you're tooling around a parking lot at 5MPH it ignores just about everything which is nice. If you get false positives on routes you drive regularly you can lock in the location and it will ignore them. It also talks to you and tells you what kind of hit is being detected, which I have learned to really like.

On top of that the sensitivity of the LASER detector seems to be improved over the 8500. I actually got a LASER hit the day I got it (driving from FL to IN) that saved my ass a ticket. I've had it go off a couple of times since then before I actually got clocked. I still don't think any of them are going to detect most LASER traps, but this one is better than any I've ever used.
Appreciate 0