bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #1
xtlwulf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Addressing blemishes after installing tints

Had XPEL tints recently installed for my car and unfortunately the place I had them installed at was a very mediocre experience. I had to have the tints reinstalled multiple times within the span of the last 4 weeks as there were scratches and bubbles after each installation/correction

Each time, I would receive the car with overspray, and streaks all over the interior of my car doors.

While not being the end of the world, I recently noticed that there was a small piece of adhesive that stuck to my front leather seats and am having a hard time removing it.

I also noticed that on one of the windows, the interior plastic window trim molding has started to fade from black to white.

Any recommendations or advices to address these 2 problems?

Last edited by xtlwulf; Yesterday at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:01 PM   #2
xtlwulf
Private First Class
Rep

Pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I'd bring it up with the shop doing the work, but with multiple shops involved, how can you attribute any damage to the particular shop? I'd think it would be difficult to have "them" address the issue if not sure it was "them."

- a carpet cleaner like Folex
- trim cleaner/conditioner/restorer - https://www.autogeek.net/solution-fi...orer-12oz.html
- leather cleaner/conditioner to soften the foreign material. unless it's a scratch
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #4
xtlwulf
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
I'd bring it up with the shop doing the work, but with multiple shops involved, how can you attribute any damage to the particular shop? I'd think it would be difficult to have "them" address the issue if not sure it was "them."

- a carpet cleaner like Folex
- trim cleaner/conditioner/restorer - https://www.autogeek.net/solution-fi...orer-12oz.html
- leather cleaner/conditioner to soften the foreign material. unless it's a scratch
Thanks for the response, but it was only ever from one shop.

First time getting tints ever, and when I had the tints installed initially, there were bubbles/lint dust so had to have them corrected within warranty.. 3x times… each time I had the windows corrected, one of the windows would have an issue with it so I would have to go back. And now I have to go again for my passenger side window

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #5
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Warm weather is the best time for tint installation as the heat can help minimize/dry any bubbles.
Sounds like a lot of hassle you're dealing with - hope they came highly recommended & will do something to make you happy!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #6
bk_mike
|
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtlwulf View Post
Thanks for the response, but it was only ever from one shop.

First time getting tints ever, and when I had the tints installed initially, there were bubbles/lint dust so had to have them corrected within warranty.. 3x times… each time I had the windows corrected, one of the windows would have an issue with it so I would have to go back. And now I have to go again for my passenger side window
That is one of the worst tint jobs I have seen in a while. The tint should go up to the edge of the glass.

I have gotten several cars done here and they are excellent.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 12:48 AM   #7
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Professionally tell them that you will have it redone and to get them to compensate you. It's impossible to have a 100% perfect job, but the above is beyond unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:58 AM   #8
spammysammich
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_mike View Post
That is one of the worst tint jobs I have seen in a while. The tint should go up to the edge of the glass.

I have gotten several cars done here and they are excellent.
Agreed, that tint job is hot garbage. I haven't seen tint done like that by a professional installer in 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:17 AM   #9
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Not sure what the definition of multiple is....but it's past the 2nd redo, you need to move on, either compensated or not...

In order for tint to be removed or installed, the guys are using a slip solution or glue adhesive remove and or blade cleaning your glass to remove the glue. The stains you are on your door card and such....could be slip solution but imagine adhesive remove potentially left on the surfaces of the door card or adjacent surface. Improperly handled knife edge glue removal can result in linear scratches in your glass. Most tint remover easily with a bit of steam but even -fresh installed tint- tends to leave some glue behind that will need removal

What is the tint shop you are using ?

Have you spoken to the shop owner, manager, etc.
You may potentially - probably getting the tint redone by the same -worker- who did the originally install as some of the installers are not paid by hr but paid by -job-. so it's rinse and repeat from the same botched installer from the 1st to the current

Last edited by chefwong; Today at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:17 AM   #10
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

I'd suggest you cut your losses and go somewhere else. They obviously are incompetent and have no pride in their workmanship. I'd imagine you'll continue to see damage to your car and poor quality work.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:54 AM   #11
xtlwulf
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the responses

Yea I’ve had 3 redos and need to go back for the 4th for the window I shared a pic of

I went in based on the reviews I saw online and price seemed the best around me

Unfortunately I don’t have a choice but to continue to go back there since it’s covered by warranty. Dropped $1100 on these tints and don’t want to spend more.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:16 AM   #12
cbpip
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4C 3.0si 3 pedal

Garage List
2007 BMW E86C  [0.00]
Should be micro edging the upper tint edge, 1/2" gap at the top is a hack job. You should ask for compensation and/or full refund. Crap job leaving your car in the condition they did. Tell them you will post your dissatisfaction on social media.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:20 AM   #13
chefwong
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=xtlwulf;31511410]
Unfortunately I don’t have a choice but to continue to go back there since it’s covered by warranty./QUOTE]

Who is going the re-dos. Same installer or different installer.
It's your car but having multiple times where the door card or seats or whatever either getting wet, etc is your thing, so be it.

Sometimes you just need to take your losses and move on to -somewhere else-
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:08 PM   #14
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp 6spd

After the second time I would have asked for my money back and gone somehwere else. This isn't a warranty issue, it's bad work. And to pay $1100 is insane. This is a $450 job at the most by a competent installer.
      Today, 12:21 PM   #15
chefwong
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
After the second time I would have asked for my money back and gone somehwere else. This isn't a warranty issue, it's bad work. And to pay $1100 is insane. This is a $450 job at the most by a competent installer.
Pricing is regional. It's about $550-$700 for 4 doors and a windshield out here
Maybe the 1K included on the original install removal/cleanup of of prior tint.

IME, xpel is somewhat price locked (regional installers are -generally- all in the same ballpark).
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:22 PM   #16
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Pricing is regional. It's about $550-$700 for 4 doors and a windshield out here
Maybe the 1K included on the original install removal/cleanup of of prior tint.

IME, xpel is somewhat price locked (regional installers are -generally- all in the same ballpark).
YEah, NY is always more expensive and the installers don't do as many cars like they do down here in Florida. I've had over thirty cars tinted and not once did I need a redo.

It would have been cheaper for the OP to drive to Florida and had it done right the first time without any of these issues. And it would be applied within 1mm of th eedge of the window.