BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

05-29-2024, 09:03 AM   #419
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Maybe a cheaper option than getting all new suspension is putting a Quickjack lift in your garage and lifting the car overnight, every night....LOL.
Appreciate 3
Rdurty2838.00
TJZ67201867.00
PNTDG42494.50
      05-31-2024, 08:12 AM   #420
Madkows
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
The M340 has a different part number so they are not the exact same OEM part. HOWEVER, the Bilstein aftermarket adaptive shock absorbers will fit both the 340 and the 240.

I am guessing that the difference in OEM shocks is different spring/damping rates due to different vehicle weights. But aside from that, all the bolts should align up
Just out of curiosity, if the aftermarket Bilstein adaptive coilovers fit both the 240/340, has anyone tried installing the BMW OEM 340 adaptive rear shocks on the 240? Aside from maybe a slight difference in dampening, could fix the problem much cheaper than a full coilover kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 09:41 AM   #421
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkows View Post
Just out of curiosity, if the aftermarket Bilstein adaptive coilovers fit both the 240/340, has anyone tried installing the BMW OEM 340 adaptive rear shocks on the 240? Aside from maybe a slight difference in dampening, could fix the problem much cheaper than a full coilover kit.
I have not, but have considered it. I looked on Marketplace and considered buying used but the ones I found had significantly higher mileage so I didn’t pull the plug. I decided against doing that since I am sold on the Bils but I think it could be a viable option.

Maybe someone who has not taken their car into their dealer can ask if they can swap out with the 3-series part instead another 2-series damper… but I highly doubt a dealer would do that for many reasons, one being it’s not a direct part number match.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 07:37 PM   #422
inevitab1e
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i G42

I just picked up a '23 M240ix and I hear this noise coming from the front.
Very faint hollow thump. It's definitely annoying like something is wrong.

Another thread mentioned dealer replaced Strut Support Bearing for the fix

Last edited by inevitab1e; 06-03-2024 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2024, 10:46 AM   #423
jdemeter7
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3

Wow, just read 20 pages of this thread...

And I have the EXACT same problem on my 2025 G82 M4, and the noise was actually not there at all on my 2024 G82 M4!

Bringing it in for the 1,200 mile break in service next week and have mentioned it to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2024, 11:51 AM   #424
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemeter7 View Post
Wow, just read 20 pages of this thread...

And I have the EXACT same problem on my 2025 G82 M4, and the noise was actually not there at all on my 2024 G82 M4!

Bringing it in for the 1,200 mile break in service next week and have mentioned it to them.
And after 20 pages, no one seems to have recoded what the noise is.
You might all be chasing different sounds.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 06:00 PM   #425
Lohan
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

Weird. I have the right rear thump. Been there since I bought the car. Getting tired of hoping BMW cares. Ready to ramp it up with the dealer. So looking for the best way to get them to recognize what is already really obvious to many of us. Even when the radio is on. So I turned the radio off to see if it could be heard better. I know. I know. This is bizarre - the thump seems to largely disappear. Might just be the road I was on when I did it, but ---- Any similar experience out there? Isn't there an artificial enhancement for sound tied to performance setting? Could it be normal suspension sounds being piped through the speaker in the Performance setting, but somehow exaggerated. More than happy to take the hits for a stupid idea. But has the solution been found yet??
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2024, 12:43 AM   #426
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

If you disable Active Sound and turn off the sound system, you can still hear it. Be sure to do that so they don’t think it’s coming from the speakers. It does sound a little like a gentle burble except it happens when you’re rolling over a slight bump. Setting the dampers to the hardest setting will make it much more noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2024, 04:15 PM   #427
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Guys. The culprit has been found. It’s the design of the actual rear suspension with electronic dampening. Myself as well as a couple other members of the forum have torn apart their entire rear ends. It’s the suspension.

There is no fix besides going with aftermarket suspension (Bilstein Evo SE). You can try the lottery and hope for a part that is quieter, or try the equivalent 3-series part (different part number) but there is no official fix. BMW is not willing to entertain investigating further since its “just a nuisance noise” and is considered “normal operation”. A lot of us contacted customer relations and made no progress
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2024, 05:04 PM   #428
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW is not willing to entertain investigating further since its “just a nuisance noise” and is considered “normal operation”. A lot of us contacted customer relations and made no progress
I had a similar issue with my Kia Stinger and the noisy sunroof. After multiple dealer visits, they sent out an engineer, tested another car on the lot, found it had the same issue, then deemed it "normal." Ever since, I have vowed off ever buying a Kia again (and by extension, Hyundai & Genesis). BMW is now on the list.

I bought into the BMW brand because they still retain the sporty factor I like, but I thought for the price premium, we could expect a premium build to match. I've already been vocal, but this car is likely the worst for noises since brand new that I have ever owned. Even worse, even though I'm sure I have the thump, it's not the noise that annoys me the worst. Intermittent dash rattle, snap-crackle-pop HVAC vents, plapping sounds in the back, sunroof creaks over driveways, noisy door seals. I've lost faith in the brand.

I'm moving away from new and shiny and going used after this. I'm too critical of new cars, they just don't live up to my expectations. I don't know if I'm unlucky, or just unreasonable.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2024, 05:39 PM   #429
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
I had a similar issue with my Kia Stinger and the noisy sunroof. After multiple dealer visits, they sent out an engineer, tested another car on the lot, found it had the same issue, then deemed it "normal." Ever since, I have vowed off ever buying a Kia again (and by extension, Hyundai & Genesis). BMW is now on the list.

I bought into the BMW brand because they still retain the sporty factor I like, but I thought for the price premium, we could expect a premium build to match. I've already been vocal, but this car is likely the worst for noises since brand new that I have ever owned. Even worse, even though I'm sure I have the thump, it's not the noise that annoys me the worst. Intermittent dash rattle, snap-crackle-pop HVAC vents, plapping sounds in the back, sunroof creaks over driveways, noisy door seals. I've lost faith in the brand.

I'm moving away from new and shiny and going used after this. I'm too critical of new cars, they just don't live up to my expectations. I don't know if I'm unlucky, or just unreasonable.
Damn. Sorry you’ve been having so many issues. So far the thump is my only problem.

Definitely would be skeptical about getting another new BMW unfortunately… although it seems like there are issues with all new cars from any brand
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2024, 05:58 PM   #430
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Damn. Sorry you’ve been having so many issues. So far the thump is my only problem.

Definitely would be skeptical about getting another new BMW unfortunately… although it seems like there are issues with all new cars from any brand
The funny thing is some days it's actually really good, other days it's awful. The problem with that is the dealer won't be able to replicate anything that doesn't happen consistently.

And yes, I have scoured many message boards with alternative cars I would have chosen: Porsches, Lexus LC500, Audi, etc.; you can find noise complaints on every one. So it may be that I'm just way too picky. I just don't understand why I ride in someone else's car and wonder why it's so quiet. The other factor is the stiff chassis and suspension. So maybe my fault for choosing the sporty car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2024, 06:03 PM   #431
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The funny thing is some days it's actually really good, other days it's awful. The problem with that is the dealer won't be able to replicate anything that doesn't happen consistently.

And yes, I have scoured many message boards with alternative cars I would have chosen: Porsches, Lexus LC500, Audi, etc.; you can find noise complaints on every one. So it may be that I'm just way too picky. I just don't understand why I ride in someone else's car and wonder why it's so quiet. The other factor is the stiff chassis and suspension. So maybe my fault for choosing the sporty car.
I feel ya. I’m overly picky as well. My cousins got a brand new CX50 and all I could hear was rattles. Guess it’s the state of the industry at the moment. Maybe I’ll just have to save some more pesos for a Rolls 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2024, 10:02 AM   #432
ajaj96
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Recently took delivery of an M2 and had a right rear clink over bumps since day 1. Just finished my break in service and had them check out the noise as well. Ended up being break pads bouncing around in the caliper.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 09:15 AM   #433
tomsar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaj96 View Post
Recently took delivery of an M2 and had a right rear clink over bumps since day 1. Just finished my break in service and had them check out the noise as well. Ended up being break pads bouncing around in the caliper.
Is it possible that the brake pads are to blame? anyone can confirm this?

Regarding the discussion about knocking (I don't know if it hasn't already been written about here), at the Polish BMW dealership they say it's a known problem in other models and it's a matter of electronic adjustment of the clearance on the shock absorber valves. In the adaptive suspension there is a problem with the control of the valves responsible for damping adjustment. Apparently the only way is to wait for new software to help.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 07:13 PM   #434
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

I cannot speak on his M2, but I can promise that on my G42 it is not the brake pads.

Your description of a valve control issue in the rear shocks sounds potentially promising. Hopefully a software update can solve it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 07:10 AM   #435
singhr11
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:

Can agree with this. Just took my car in for service and got 2/3 rattles fixed. Makes the car feel solid - definitely let your dealer know to fix some of the issues you are feeling. My Audi’s have been much more solid from a build quality perspective.

Used for sure. Especially as stock improves and depreciation has become a thing again 😂
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 09:41 AM   #436
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
I cannot speak on his M2, but I can promise that on my G42 it is not the brake pads.

Your description of a valve control issue in the rear shocks sounds potentially promising. Hopefully a software update can solve it.
I agree. This was actually discussed at the very beginning when reports first started coming out, that a software recalibration could fix the dampening/rebound parameters. I can prove this can help because the noise is reduced in Comfort+ mode (BimmerCode) which changes the shock behavior. Unfortunately, I am very skeptical this will ever happen. IMO best case scenario, BMW quiet fixes it and it’s up to us to replace the part.

Mine has been very quiet all summer. I still hear it every now and then but it’s totally livable. But I know as soon as it gets cold the thump will be coming back. My Bilsteins are “supposed” to ship by end of month. We’ll see!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 01:16 PM   #437
Lohan
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

I've maintained from the beginning that the thumping sounded like a dead strut. So I think the comment that it is a software issue makes a lot of sense to me. But.... If installing the Bilsteins makes the sound go away, and the existing BMW software is what is driving them when you plug the car to the Bilsteins, then it seems it would more be an issue with the Monroe strut being defective.

Seems it only happens on the M240, the sound varies with the demand put on the strut (Eco Plus, Comfort, Sport), and it goes away when the Monroe is taken out of the equation. And if it's the strut, it would cost BMW more to fix it than just a software update. And following the money, and the fact BMW doesn't appear to care or plan to do anything, I'd go with the most expensive fix that they are playing blind to - bad strut that can't handle the pressure at the higher suspension settings. And coming out of the COVID, logistics, manufacturing, and transportation issues impacting profits, BMW is looking to recover their bottom line - not fix this issue. And if true, it doesn't say much about their commitment to the 'ultimate driver's car.'

I still love my 2023, but the thumping rattling noise from the back end just isn't the BMW quality I've enjoyed since I started buying them in the mid 1980s.
Appreciate 2
Rdurty2838.00
TJZ67201867.00
      09-13-2024, 08:43 PM   #438
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Id imagine that there would be some sort of contract in place between the vehicle builders and suppliers and where the liability goes in the scenario of defective parts. I would personally tend to believe more that BMW just isn't really paying attention to this issue more so than sweeping it under the rug. Even if it cost BMW the warranty labor rate to replace them, that isn't too bad for the opporunity to get your car in the shop and find things to upsell you and keep your foot in the door at the dealership looking at new cars and building up your overall relationship... instead of the opposite; building internalized resent for the brand over a stupid shock absorber.
Appreciate 0