home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

09-27-2024, 06:54 PM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Single vs Dual Midpipes - Which is louder?

I've done some research over the past couple of days trying to figure out whether a single midpipe or a dual midpipe would be louder. My car has catback exhaust with a single midpipe and my friend has a catback with a dual midpipe yet his sounds louder. If it's worth mentioning, he has a manual and I have an automatic.

I'd assume the single midpipe should be louder since the piping is massive but it doesn't seem to be the case. I originally thought it could be due to the axleback design but upon closer inspection, the valves are generally in the same area so it shouldn't really affect anything when valves are fully opened.

I've also noticed that my other friend's M4 with just a PSI midpipe (x-pipe design) sounded loud and could be heard from a good distance away.

Could it come down to the material that is used to create the exhausts? From what I know, both are constructed with 304 stainless steel but obviously quality can differ between brands but I'm very confident that both exhausts are made with good materials.

It could also be that I haven't really been outside of the car under full throttle but I also roll the windows all the way down when driving fast and my friend's car sounded way louder than mine when he did the same thing.

I'll leave the links to the exhausts here so that you guys on the forums could help me decipher what makes one louder than the other. Looking for an explanation from an engineering perspective.

My exhaust (IRL Catback) - https://irlllc.com/products/irl-g87-...42685615014046

Friend's exhaust (Milltek Catback) - https://europeanautosource.com/produ...47961399165250

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The dual midpipe is louder.

The single has a deeper midrange and a rasp-free high RPM.

The single is the most popular option because it offers the cleanest sound, not the loudest.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The dual midpipe is louder.

The single has a deeper midrange and a rasp-free high RPM.

The single is the most popular option because it offers the cleanest sound, not the loudest.
Agreed. The single with its deeper tone does give the feeling that it's not as loud. Their are DB meter apps on the phone that will give you more data.

Design, material, material thickness, muffler connection pipe angles, muffler flow rates all will change the volume and sound in general.

Aso this

''It could also be that I haven't really been outside of the car under full throttle but I also roll the windows all the way down when driving fast and my friend's car sounded way louder than mine when he did the same thing.''
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #4
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2 BSM

I think this is one of those topics that's as beat as a dead horse. There are a BUNCH of threads on this topic with the same answer(s). Search is your friend.

2024 M2 | BSM | 6SPD | Port-Installed M Perf HAS | MAD Axle-back Exhaust | MAD CAI with blue filters | Dinan Midpipe | Richland Forged RF-GT3R Wheels Brushed Competition Gold & machined face | AudioControl D-6.1200 Amp & DSP | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & Rear | Morel BMW-Specific Subwoofers | Lots of neat interior upgrades!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:36 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
I think this is one of those topics that's as beat as a dead horse. There are a BUNCH of threads on this topic with the same answer(s). Search is your friend.

I agree, but what can you do

It's better to answer it in case it helps other that are searching for the same answer

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
MASHCT1182.50