home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Interior Modifications

07-25-2024, 10:33 AM   #23
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Good to read there exists a distinct separation between audiophiles and audiofools.
Appreciate 1
wjones14792.50
      07-25-2024, 12:05 PM   #24
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Power equals headroom. Headroom equals dynamics. Power has little to do with volume. Yes, of course speaker sensitivity and efficiency come in to play.
You can have the most sensitive, efficient speakers made, but if they’re underpowered, you will lose dynamics because there’s no headroom left.

This is 101 basic stuff folks.

Any of you do this professionally for hundreds of thousands of dollars in both home and auto? Or just hobby shit hanging around on audiophile forums?
      07-25-2024, 04:42 PM   #25
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

“Power has little to do with volume”

Amen to that. Years ago I had PX-25 monoblock amplifiers coupled with a pair of 101dB speakers.
Each speaker was comprised of 2 full range 10” drivers and a self powered 12” sub.

Those 5WPC amps drove the speakers to window shattering SPL.

I owned an ultra high end audio business for 14 years after a 35 year stint in corporate America.
It was a blast.
Appreciate 2
BroDoze1524.50
wjones14792.50
      07-25-2024, 07:10 PM   #26
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
“Power has little to do with volume”

Amen to that. Years ago I had PX-25 monoblock amplifiers coupled with a pair of 101dB speakers.
Each speaker was comprised of 2 full range 10” drivers and a self powered 12” sub.

Those 5WPC amps drove the speakers to window shattering SPL.

I owned an ultra high end audio business for 14 years after a 35 year stint in corporate America.
It was a blast.
Of course this can be true - super efficient speakers & a killer, clean 5 WPC tube amp can sound fantastic & absolutely can deliver the goods.

But we ain't talking about home audio now, are we? We're talking about car stereo. A car is hardly an audiophile's paradise when it comes to quiet, ideal listening environment. 70db+ background noise vs 40-50 in a listening room, maybe even lower?

And I don't know of any 5WPC tube amps in the car audio world nor the high quality, high efficiency speakers you'd need to get the best such an amp (if it existed) could deliver. Maybe Klipsch can capitalize on the market potential here.

We're dealing with compromises all over the place with car audio. And one way to achieve dynamics & clean sound that can overcome the car environment is thru quality, clean powerful amplification & quality speakers.

It isn't the wattage that is delivering the louder sound to my speakers - but it's surely helping in the dynamics & headroom compared to the HK amplification. And it can very easily play louder, cleaner than the HK amp can. No getting around it. You crank the HK amp & audio quality suffers & you're still fighting in-car noise from every direction.

I really hate to say that HK makes anything crappy. But the OEM sound system, while it does the job, is just not cutting it if you want as close as you can get to excellent sound quality inside a car.

Again, I will say, if you're swapping out the subs & all else being equal, might as well keep the impedance the same if not only to keep the same power driving the sub. There is ZERO reason to halve it by going with a 4 ohm sub on the same amp.

Since we don't know the sensitivity of the HK subs (if anyone does - publish the info, please!) you can't know if the 4ohm sub you're getting is any more efficient. I can guess - and I likely know - the Morel subs are more efficient because they played noticeably louder (not ear splittingly so) with the stock amps/DSP.
2024 M2 | BSM | 6SPD | Port-Installed M Perf HAS | MAD Axle-back Exhaust | MAD CAI with blue filters | Dinan Midpipe | Richland Forged RF-GT3R Wheels Brushed Competition Gold & machined face | AudioControl D-6.1200 Amp & DSP | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & Rear | Morel BMW-Specific Subwoofers | Lots of neat interior upgrades!

Last edited by MASHCT; 07-25-2024 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2024, 03:18 PM   #27
matt@bavsound
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i

Hey, Mark here with Bavsound, thought I’d jump in!

If you're looking to boost your audio, a subwoofer system is definitely the way to go. It adds serious bass and takes some strain off your interior speakers, letting them play louder and clearer without distortion. This really cranks up the “wow” factor.

Upgrading your amp can help, but a good subwoofer makes a huge difference with those lower frequencies that give the music its depth. Our Stage One kit and Ghost subwoofer system are built to deliver killer bass and a richer sound.

The Harman Kardon system does have a solid amp and processing, giving you clean power and good EQ options. But it’s built with budget constraints, which can lead to issues like tweeter harshness, midrange clarity, and balanced bass. Our Stage One kit addresses these with premium components like woven Kevlar cones, Santoprene rubber surrounds, and silk-dome tweeters. Plus, it’s 100 percent plug-and-play, so no modifications are needed.

As for Bimmertech, we don’t want to bash our competition, but we can share some insights into the differences between our systems (we are going to be biased &#128516

In our 20 years in the BMW audio game, we've tested our speakers against stock BMW ones and BimmerTech’s Alpha One system. While BimmerTech’s Alpha One might offer more brightness due to its metal cones, our woven Kevlar components deliver a more natural sound and reduce audio fatigue. From what we can tell, they use pressed paper cones, whereas we use poly rubber cones. We opted for poly rubber to achieve tighter, punchier bass and better control, avoiding the muddiness often associated with pressed paper.

If you're considering adding an amp, you might look into the Bavsound amplifier upgrades on the secondary market, as we've discontinued them for economic reasons. Another good option is the Audiotec Fischer Match UP7. We wouldn’t recommend the JL XD600, as it’s not the best match for our setup.

We also offer a 100-day in-car trial because we're confident you'll love our upgrades—less than 2 percent of our customers return their systems due to sound quality issues. The Alpha One speakers might have a sleek look and fancy packaging, but our performance is where we truly shine.

Hope this helps!
      08-25-2024, 11:33 PM   #28
Ehloo
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

the stock system is underpowered with some pretty crappy speakers. the Alpha system just puts more power to the stock system. the allure to it is that it’s fully plug and play.

having a full custom morel system in my other car i’m debating its its worth the time and the money. more power never hurts and extra head room always a plus.

i can say with my m2 after all my exhaust and intake mods it doesn’t make sense for me to go crazy on the audio. only time i will really hear a difference is at the stop light. plus you are adding a ton of weight.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 10:51 PM   #29
julioengineer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 230i M Sport

Yes, I used the Match UP8 DSP/amp with the speakers that came with the HiFi system in my car. After tweaking a baseline audio file the sound stage imaging was opened up and centered. I tuned each speaker to open them up more and measured the distance to listening area. For it to sound perfect you need to add a sub in the trunk and run the under seat woofers as mid bass speakers. I have them crossed over at 100 - 500htz and turned up 2dbs from the fronts. The front center should be crossed over 125htz-3237khtz and 2 db up. You also need to turn the rears up 2dbs also to fill the rear and complete the imaging. I would invest in the DSP/amp and see how you like the new sound. I for one, have decided I’m not going to upgrade the speakers.

Here are the settings I used:

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
yash2726.50
      09-09-2024, 07:57 AM   #30
yash27
Private
Rep
Drives: '25 M2 Voodoo Blue (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@bavsound View Post
Hey, Mark here with Bavsound, thought I’d jump in!

If you're looking to boost your audio, a subwoofer system is definitely the way to go. It adds serious bass and takes some strain off your interior speakers, letting them play louder and clearer without distortion. This really cranks up the “wow” factor.

Upgrading your amp can help, but a good subwoofer makes a huge difference with those lower frequencies that give the music its depth. Our Stage One kit and Ghost subwoofer system are built to deliver killer bass and a richer sound.

The Harman Kardon system does have a solid amp and processing, giving you clean power and good EQ options. But it’s built with budget constraints, which can lead to issues like tweeter harshness, midrange clarity, and balanced bass. Our Stage One kit addresses these with premium components like woven Kevlar cones, Santoprene rubber surrounds, and silk-dome tweeters. Plus, it’s 100 percent plug-and-play, so no modifications are needed.

As for Bimmertech, we don’t want to bash our competition, but we can share some insights into the differences between our systems (we are going to be biased &#128516

In our 20 years in the BMW audio game, we've tested our speakers against stock BMW ones and BimmerTech’s Alpha One system. While BimmerTech’s Alpha One might offer more brightness due to its metal cones, our woven Kevlar components deliver a more natural sound and reduce audio fatigue. From what we can tell, they use pressed paper cones, whereas we use poly rubber cones. We opted for poly rubber to achieve tighter, punchier bass and better control, avoiding the muddiness often associated with pressed paper.

If you're considering adding an amp, you might look into the Bavsound amplifier upgrades on the secondary market, as we've discontinued them for economic reasons. Another good option is the Audiotec Fischer Match UP7. We wouldn’t recommend the JL XD600, as it’s not the best match for our setup.

We also offer a 100-day in-car trial because we're confident you'll love our upgrades—less than 2 percent of our customers return their systems due to sound quality issues. The Alpha One speakers might have a sleek look and fancy packaging, but our performance is where we truly shine.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the response. Does the bavsound stage one and the subwoofer have a break in period?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 05:33 PM   #31
matt@bavsound
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash27 View Post
Thanks for the response. Does the bavsound stage one and the subwoofer have a break in period?
Hey there,

Yes, there is a break-in period for the Bavsound Stage One speakers and the Ghost subwoofer. If you haven’t had them for quite some time yet, it’s totally normal if they don’t sound perfect right away. You’ll want to avoid pushing them too hard during this period to prevent distortion.

Typically, after about 10-15 hours of playtime, you’ll notice a big improvement. The rubber surrounds of the speakers will stretch out, allowing them to hit a broader range of frequencies and deliver their full potential.

If you have any more questions or need further advice, just let me know!
      Yesterday, 08:38 PM   #32
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Can we swing back to the plug and play solutions?

I'd like something nice and easy for better sound but the primary focus of the car is to enjoy the drive.

For me if be happy with a good upgrade.
Bavsound doesn't come with an Amp anymore. Would the speaker and subs be good enough or get the alpha with an Amp?
Appreciate 0