apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Autocross Impressions with mostly stock 6MT

Attended an autocross with my G87 this weekend. It was a ton of fun... More fun then I had in a G42. I ran in the novice group as this was only my third event.

Only mods on my car are MP HAS, some spacers, and the TRE ID 01 spoiler.

It was a really tight course... I think it was really too tight for the car - or at least for this driver! I had something like 4 clean runs out of 14 and 13 cones hit. There was only 1 spot I was even able to briefly get into 2nd gear, the entire rest of the course was 1st gear. Some folks never hit 2nd at all.

Given the course I think it went well - first I had a ton of fun and got to know my car better. I also saw constant improvement throughout the day (if you ignore cone hits).

I ran in MDM mode, sport engine, and sport or sport plus everything else. If I would have ever felt like power was holding me back or getting pulled I might have tried dialing traction down. I definitely was able to take advantage of the limited slip to help rotate the car under power in the numerous tight turns.

I kept tires at 34 front and 35 back throughout the day and did not feel any of the understear or pushing I was expecting (and witnessed from other cars). I didn't see any sign of too much rollover on to sidewalls. Car has stock PS4S*.

The one issue I did encounter was that twice I picked up rocks or gravel in the pits that ended up somewhere in my breaks or something and created a horrendous squealing and grinding noise. Reversing and turning left and right would shake it out. Didn't happen to anyone else.

Overall a really fun day and I look forward to unleashing the car a bit more at the upcoming track cross event.
Appreciate 1
BroDoze313.00
      05-13-2024, 10:25 PM   #2
mtoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2 G87

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
2021 BMW X7 xDrive40i  [10.00]
When I did the novice event a couple weeks ago, there was one car that I could hear have the same issue with rocks in the brakes. Just bad luck I think 🙂

At the next event I was going to experiment more with DSC off. But I'm nervous I'll spin out again, so I may try engine in Comfort and compare that throttle response to Sport, and see if it's any easier to manage.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:49 AM   #3
sebaflex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
The one issue I did encounter was that twice I picked up rocks or gravel in the pits that ended up somewhere in my breaks or something and created a horrendous squealing and grinding noise. Reversing and turning left and right would shake it out. Didn't happen to anyone else.
Seems to be a somewhat common issue, not sure what the fix is.

https://youtu.be/xqJpRaQ3fPI?si=3ew_pFUbo6Tkd5YI

https://youtu.be/nEeIP6Ry-Jk?si=KEhbOpW2aV4qlI1s
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:31 PM   #4
apez
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoo View Post
When I did the novice event a couple weeks ago, there was one car that I could hear have the same issue with rocks in the brakes. Just bad luck I think 🙂

At the next event I was going to experiment more with DSC off. But I'm nervous I'll spin out again, so I may try engine in Comfort and compare that throttle response to Sport, and see if it's any easier to manage.
Yeah... My next parking lot autocross event I will try DSC off (or maybe start at 5 and work down). I would like to build skill without the nanny, but carefully. Also don't want to just completely trash the tires.

Next event is track cross though, not sure I am up for DSC off on a track.. might depend on the run off.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:33 PM   #5
apez
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaflex View Post
Seems to be a somewhat common issue, not sure what the fix is.

https://youtu.be/xqJpRaQ3fPI?si=3ew_pFUbo6Tkd5YI

https://youtu.be/nEeIP6Ry-Jk?si=KEhbOpW2aV4qlI1s
I have seen those videos. This was definitely a rock or gravel somewhere in the wheel/break system. Heard it fall out and hit the wheel when I backed up. Once it was out there was zero noise.
Appreciate 0