BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2024, 10:48 AM   #67
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Porsche developed the V8, Audi the V6, in both brands they tune them their way in their cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 11:50 AM   #68
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Tune as in the fuel map? Or do they have different cams and stuff too? I suppose they have an adjustable valvetrain and that’s prob tunable as well and can seem like a different cam grind.

Everybody is using the ZF8 too? They got that transmission on lock. It’s such a good product, I hate it. I wish we had something cool like a DCT in the X5M.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 1
Bankerbry404.50
      05-17-2024, 07:53 AM   #69
PunsGalore
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Wagon

Gonna go with the X5 or Cayenne.. too many problems with Audi's as of late!
      05-18-2024, 01:38 PM   #70
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunsGalore View Post
Gonna go with the X5 or Cayenne.. too many problems with Audi's as of late!
Since they are all owned by VAG, there are many Audi/VW parts shared with the Porsche. I believe they are also assembled at the same assembly plant.
Appreciate 1
Bankerbry404.50
      05-20-2024, 04:17 PM   #71
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 21 M8CGC, 19 X7 M50

I realize that I'm late to this party, but I just wanted to share my opinion:
I can't specifically comment on the exact comparison, but I just recently sold my 22 Audi RS7 for a 23 XM5C and am also a former Porsche owner.
I also considered an RSQ8 prior to purchasing the RS7, so I'm very familiar with the model and differences between the Audi & the BMW. My ownership of the RS7 was short lived due to the frequent and extensive problems with the MMI (which the RSQ8 shares) and the horrible service from Audi! For me the BMW has been absolutely amazing and every time I drive it I'm reminded of how special it is. The Audi is probably a little bit more comfortable for ride quality, but I can honestly say that the trade off is not worth it, and now owning the X5MC for a bit I love it! The fit and finish of the interior in the BMW is far superior and doesn't feel like they cut corners to save a few pennies like the Audi did. Exp: Audi's plastic steering wheel, fake leather wrapped plastic center console, plastic door panels & no Alcantara headliner just doesn't make you feel like your in a $125k vehicle. And then there's the sound & driving dynamics of the X5MC! This thing drives & handles almost like a sports car and sounds amazing. The Audi doesn't possess either of those. From my experience Audi's quality has definitely gone down hill, and nearly every owner that I've talked to has had issues with their MMI system. Depending on the day, I never knew what I would get. One day I had to drive 2 hours with my flashers on because they wouldn't shut off. The next day the nav didn't work, and the next I came out side of my office to have my trunk open & doors unlocked. 🤣
The Porsche for me was never a consideration, and I love Porche's, but If I'm going to buy another one it will be a 2 door sports car. I'm not huge fan of the Cayenne's look and you give up a lot of tech and interior features just for the name.
There's my 2 cents hope it helps. Good luck to you! I hope you love whatever you buy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Defib60.50
      05-20-2024, 08:03 PM   #72
Stealth7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

Does Audi make a RS7 or just a S7?

I heavily cross shopped the LCI x5mc and the RSQ8 and somewhat disagree with your comments regarding the Audi. Full disclosure I have a 2025 x5mc coming at the end of next month or so.

To me the Audi felt and looked more elegant and richer and had a somewhat smoother ride that comes from the air suspension--the Audi looked like old money. It drove well but not as lively as the BMW.

The Audi was not the car for me because it felt like it needed a refresh, it is due for a refresh, I did not like the headliner position for the rear seat passengers, and there are many reviews indicating that the transmission is somewhat sluggage on kickdown. In no respect did I think the rsq8 looked like it had cheap materials. My wife also had a 2019 SQ 5 and we did like that car but it felt a little stiff and brick-like in its driving characteristics.

Of course they make different cars because everyone has their own feeling about what is best for them!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 08:58 PM   #73
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I thought the Audi was less hard edged for sure. I like Audi interiors but they're all starting to feel dated now. The refresh they did was almost invisible to me; I wasn't expecting much due to the push for EV, but they managed to exceed my expectation of just how little not much can be.
Appreciate 1
Bankerbry404.50
      05-20-2024, 08:58 PM   #74
Stealth7
Lieutenant
Rep

I forgot about the missing Q in the description. The RS7 is the pointy a@@ sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 06:07 AM   #75
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 21 M8CGC, 19 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Does Audi make a RS7 or just a S7?

I heavily cross shopped the LCI x5mc and the RSQ8 and somewhat disagree with your comments regarding the Audi. Full disclosure I have a 2025 x5mc coming at the end of next month or so.

To me the Audi felt and looked more elegant and richer and had a somewhat smoother ride that comes from the air suspension—the Audi looked like old money. It drove well but not as lively as the BMW.

The Audi was not the car for me because it felt like it needed a refresh, it is due for a refresh, I did not like the headliner position for the rear seat passengers, and there are many reviews indicating that the transmission is somewhat sluggage on kickdown. In no respect did I think the rsq8 looked like it had cheap materials. My wife also had a 2019 SQ 5 and we did like that car but it felt a little stiff and brick-like in its driving characteristics.

Of course they make different cars because everyone has their own feeling about what is best for them!

As far as I know, they just make the RSQ8 & SQ7 right now. And yes, the RS7 is the sedan (pictured below) I happen to love the looks of the RS7 especially in the Nardo Grey that I owned, but hey that's just my opinion.
That's the beauty of a forum, we can all share thoughts, opinions and experiences. Based on your own analysis though it sounds like you agree with me more than you think, and you ended up buying a 25 XM5C over the Audi. I think the Q8 body style is a modern design where "old money" would be driving an A8L. I definitely still prefer the X5MC in both style and driving capabilities. Did you spend much time driving both models to compare?
Don't forget to post some pictures and a review once you receive it.
I'll be very curious on your opinion of the ride quality, especially since you felt the SQ5 was a little stiff. I think you will be very happy with your decision, and hope you love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 02:35 PM   #76
Stealth7
Lieutenant
Rep

Nice looking rs7!

The SQ5 was not so much too stiff, but rather that it lacked flexible driving Dynamics. It was a great car that we enjoyed.

The RSQ8 felt like "old money" because it looked very rich and elegant, not really because it looked old.
I drove the rsq8 once and drove the x5mc three times.

No need to debate these issues further--they are all nice cars! Congratulations on your ride and finally sorting out your spring issue. I am also a friend and client of Ben and he is a fine gentleman.
Appreciate 0