home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-19-2024, 07:51 PM   #23
DrewNewM2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Grey G87 Manual

I’ve commuted on Long Island and all around NYC including in and out of Manhattan with multiple manual cars over the years including some pretty modified Subarus with heavy aftermarket clutches. M2 6MT is a pleasure. Easy clutch, comfy suspension and (regular)seats. I’d be more concerned about parking it anywhere as city cars get beat up.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #24
Vinknee
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M2 | '14 Cayenne

i’m in NYC, i don’t drive to work but i’m in bumper to bumper traffic often (done 6k miles since pickup in January). it’s a breeze to drive, annoying sometimes but worth the trade off once i’m out of the city
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:33 PM   #25
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, G80 & G87

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.50]
2024 M2  [9.50]
2022 BMW M3  [7.83]
Here’s a fun drive Chicago to Road America. Needed to get some break in miles before it gets too cold. The way back, getting into the city would have annoyed me if I was driving a manual but that’s me.
Attached Images

Last edited by ando; Today at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:15 PM   #26
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

I wouldn't sit in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour+ with a manual. Like someone else said, I did it in my 20s and I can't do it comfortably anymore in my early 30s. I still drive into the office with in when the weather is good and I can avoid rush hour though, and that's not an issue.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:46 PM   #27
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
My first car in 1999 was an auto. Every other car after up until my Audi S4 in 2021 was manual. This M2 I am on the fence but probably will be back to a manual.

It is personal preference and how much you can tolerate it in the traffic you experience. I was driving in central NJ from 99-2015 so traffic was a daily thing. But then before that anything that was an auto was slower and worse for driving than the auto. Now we have great auto transmissions so the choice might have been different depending on the car. Plus like we have the argument now about "manual is more sporty and manly" it was more so in the past. Also mind you my cars were all modified so a lot had really heavy clutches.

As has been said, get what you want and what you feel would make sense, rent a Turo or borrow someone's manual car for a week to see if you can deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:07 PM   #28
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Bought the manual. Thanks for everyone’s inputs. So easy to drive I don’t think it will bother me in some rush hour traffic scenarios 2-3 times a week. Regardless, the wife wants to move back to the burbs anyways so likely a moot point in 6 months. Having owned an auto and now a manual g87 I would opt for the manual as it adds a little engagement into the mix that has been lost with the increased refinement/insulation of the car but that’s just me. I commuted with my cayman t manual year round as well in relatively heavy suburb traffic so I probably have more of a tolerance than most.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:23 PM   #29
MineralGreyMetallic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2SG Throwaway View Post
Bought the manual. Thanks for everyone’s inputs. So easy to drive I don’t think it will bother me in some rush hour traffic scenarios 2-3 times a week. Regardless, the wife wants to move back to the burbs anyways so likely a moot point in 6 months. Having owned an auto and now a manual g87 I would opt for the manual as it adds a little engagement into the mix that has been lost with the increased refinement/insulation of the car but that’s just me. I commuted with my cayman t manual year round as well in relatively heavy suburb traffic so I probably have more of a tolerance than most.
Congrats. You made the right choice.
Appreciate 0