F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Forced Upshift due to DME Fault
proTUNING Freaks

11-11-2020, 03:03 AM   #1
RIZSHAUKAT
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Forced Upshift due to DME Fault

Hey Guys,

I'm reposting an earlier thread in this sub-forum for more suggestions.

I have a 2013 F30 Activehybrid 3 and I知 running JB4 with it. I recently got my alternator changed by the dealership and have been riddled with problems since then. I知 getting a rough idle and the engine seems to be stalling while stationary. Also the car won稚 rev past 2500 rpm due to forced upshift operation by the DME, a.k.a LIMP MODE.

I知 getting the following 2 malfunctions currently on I-Drive.

1) Drivetrain Malfunction- Full Performance Not Available.
2) Auto Start Stop Permanently Disabled.

ISTA Diagnostics is showing the following codes.

CDBA27 Message (actual data charging electronics, 0x108) missing, receiver DME, transmitter EME
212601 Crankshaft starter generator: Automatic engine start-stop function (MSA) permanently deactivated.
220561 Emergency operation manager: Generator operation request due to DME fault
220567 Emergency operation manager: Request, power reduction, electrical coolant compressor due to DME fault
220564 Emergency operation manager: Request, electronic gearbox control forced upshift (strong) due to DME fault

The dealership that changed the alternator reached out to BMW Germany and they have identified the recently changed alternator as the source of the errors. They致e sent a replacement Alternator which according to them is going to solve the issues. I値l know in a couple of weeks when it arrives.

In the meantime, I知 seeking opinions on this forum on whether this seems to be truly an alternator issue or does there seem to be any other mechanical/electrical fault within.

I am getting suggestions to replace the water pump and thermostat, some are telling me to remove the JB4 completely as it may be interfering with DME communications over CAN BUS.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

I am not sure if you left the JB4 installed when you went in for the alternator replacement, but I would certainly remove it this time before going back in. You want to make sure the car you get back is working properly without the JB4 as another variable. If it was left installed the first time, its possible the JB4 was messed up during that install. So, remove it, get the car back to 100%, then reinstall. If something happens after the reinstall of the JB4 you will know the JB4 is the issue.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 01:24 AM   #3
RIZSHAUKAT
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Thanks for the input. I wasn't able to uninstall the JB4 last time but this time I'll definitely do that.

Hopefully will have a positive update soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:15 AM   #4
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

The JB4 is a rather crude instrument to something as advanced as an ActiveH. Move to a flash tune - you will be blown away by the improved drivability