home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-20-2024, 02:16 PM   #1
Politicalicon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F90 M5c, c63s, c7 Z06, VB WRX

First thoughts after delivery

Put around 200 miles on the car (6MT) and have just a couple of thoughts.

Cons:
1. Clutch pedal is very springy and hard to get used to when going from one manual to another.
2. Tank size - Are you kidding me? Should have been 16 Gallons at the minimum!
3. Brake Pedal feel - It feels like some of the old Video games, I find it hard to believe it's attached to a hydraulic system
4. Idrive 8 - okay.. They need to bring back the ability to add more data on the side of the screen, this was a TERRIBLE oversight

Pros:
1 Seating Position - Love how the low the seat gets
2. The ride feels very refined - Even compared to my F90 M5 Comp
3. The shifter feel (Yes, people hate it, but I personally love the old BMW shifter feel.
4. Fit and finish is actually much nicer than I expected from a 2 series
5. The seats - These seats feel absolutely fantastic (non carbon)
6. Lack of body roll (Took it on a few twisties for fun and it's very very flat).

Indifferent however worth mentioning:
1. The wheel gap (I'd rather it not be so large, but hey..)
2. The speed at which the windows open and close (I'm very impatient)
3. Please let me see the change the cluster design like the m5. I like the fake gauges better than a video game look.
4. the matte black plastic surrounding the shifter (just worth nothing)

Overall take:

It's a fun car that feels tight and smaller than it realy is. It get's a bit of attention (Which I'm not a fan of.. but..). The motor feels lively down low however not as much so as the v8's in my lineup of course. I definitely don't regret the purchase and of course these are just MY opinions, I'm not attacking the car in any way.
Appreciate 6
      05-20-2024, 02:49 PM   #2
jhstjh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2024 GR Corolla

Garage List
Quote:
I find it hard to believe it's attached to a hydraulic system
Because it isn't? It's brake-by-wire, the pedal feel is emulated. Glad I'm not the only one disliking it. It feels disconnected and doesn't inspire confidence when trying to modulate the brake. It's probably the least favorite thing on M2 for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 04:06 PM   #3
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Interesting feedback. I have the auto & have put just 9k mi on it since the end of Nov. I don't have any issues with brake feel nor the size of the gas tank. Under the "since factory" display I'm averaging almost 25 mpg. On straight highway trips I avg almost 29 mpg with auto cruise set at 84-85 mph. That's great for a ~500 hp performance coupe.

I agree the seats & seating position are excellent. I want to put the seats in my '11 Z06 they're so good. Fit & finish is at the top of the 40+ vehicles I've owned & I'd prefer the matte black shifter surround instead of the glossy piano black that comes with the autos.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 06:53 PM   #4
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Couldn't agree more on the iDrive 8 comment (and pretty much agree on everything else you've said). The screens seem such a waste of information and not very customizable at all, heck even coming from iDrive 6. The Sport screen is focused WAY better then the silly video game red/blue information screen ('road') as I can't see most of the info on the 'road' screen through the steering wheel so the sport screen is pretty much a necessity, but at least let me change what info is shown to the left of the speedo/tach. I can pull up the tire pressures there in 'track' mode only and would love to have them there to the left side without having to revert to track mode.

Also it seems the HVAC controls are weird - you used to be able to set a maximum fan speed in a BMW and it would adjust the fan speed automagically between minimal and the speed you set when running auto program. This thing seems just dumb and even in auto it keeps the fan speed exactly where you set it - it is not automatically changing speeds. Maybe I need to select "dynamic" fan mode rather than just "normal" fan mode? --am I missing something here?

Also AC isn't that great. Need to set my controls to 62 degrees F to get the interior of the car to 70. The AC just isn't cold. Going to have my dealer check the refrigerant level when they fix my non-functioning rear taillight (surprise! backorder)...And is it too much to ask for a dang seat heater physical button?

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 05-20-2024 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 08:23 AM   #5
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
but at least let me change what info is shown to the left of the speedo/tach. I can pull up the tire pressures there in 'track' mode only and would love to have them there to the left side without having to revert to track mode.
You can do that. Just like in the road display, you can scroll through what additional information is displayed besides the tach, speed, fuel, and temp.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1177.00
      05-21-2024, 08:54 AM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Build / interior quality is legit on these cars, the two series is basically just a shorter 3 series and hasn’t been short changed at all especially if you compare how nerfed the F series M2 was. I remember going from my beautiful nappa E90 M3 interior to buying an F87 M2C and thinking the interior felt so low rent. By contrast the G87 interior feels identical to my G20 M340i.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 08:59 AM   #7
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdem View Post
You can do that. Just like in the road display, you can scroll through what additional information is displayed besides the tach, speed, fuel, and temp.
How do you change that? I can't find documentation anywhere and the manual is at least 1 version old showing things in the HVAC controls that aren't even on my car? Is it the left scroll wheel? When hitting the button near the Auto high beams that just scrolls through trip information which isn't very useful to me.
      05-21-2024, 09:00 AM   #8
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Build / interior quality is legit on these cars, the two series is basically just a shorter 3 series and hasn’t been short changed at all especially if you compare how nerfed the F series M2 was. I remember going from my beautiful nappa E90 M3 interior to buying an F87 M2C and thinking the interior felt so low rent. By contrast the G87 interior feels identical to my G20 M340i.
This is the first BMW for me out of 4 that has had issues out of the gate. Not major mechanical issues mind you, but annoying. The interior is definitely a step up from the F87 for sure though.
      05-21-2024, 09:07 AM   #9
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

Quote:
How do you change that? I can't find documentation anywhere and the manual is at least 1 version old showing things in the HVAC controls that aren't even on my car? Is it the left scroll wheel? When hitting the button near the Auto high beams that just scrolls through trip information which isn't very useful to me.
Bottom middle button on the right side of the wheel, then use the scroll wheel above it to cycle through the options.
Appreciate 2
Mr. Hankey1177.00
ayilar22.00
      05-21-2024, 09:14 AM   #10
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

The clutch took me a day of driving to adjust to. Once adjusted to the clutch, it is just like any of my manual cars before. The brake, I prefer comfort over sport (feels ON/OFF).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 10:11 AM   #11
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:

Also it seems the HVAC controls are weird - you used to be able to set a maximum fan speed in a BMW and it would adjust the fan speed automagically between minimal and the speed you set when running auto program. This thing seems just dumb and even in auto it keeps the fan speed exactly where you set it - it is not automatically changing speeds. Maybe I need to select "dynamic" fan mode rather than just "normal" fan mode? --am I missing something here?

Also AC isn't that great. Need to set my controls to 62 degrees F to get the interior of the car to 70. The AC just isn't cold. Going to have my dealer check the refrigerant level when they fix my non-functioning rear taillight (surprise! backorder)...And is it too much to ask for a dang seat heater physical button?
The auto climate control is definitely a step backward from iDrive 7. I much prefer the climate controls in my previous 330e & my wife's '22 X3MC. You can set specific temps at which the heated seats & steering wheel to activate instead of now where the car decides. I've had my heated seats and steering wheel turn on when it's 70 degrees outside but then not activate when it was 35 degrees outside.

I will say, my A/C is set to 74, and it's plenty cool in the car. So maybe something is off with yours.
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2024, 10:17 AM   #12
Digitalprty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: (pending) 2024 M2

Quote:
Going to have my dealer check the refrigerant level when they fix my non-functioning rear taillight (surprise! backorder)...
You too? Mine’s at the dealer for this right now. “Left brake lamp malfunction.” Back-ordered here too.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1177.00
      05-21-2024, 10:36 AM   #13
mpfardresher
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i & X3

Took ownership of my 2024 M2 12 days ago, the only draw back I have noticed is the fuel tank capacity. It should be at or above 15 gals. Other then that the car is fantastic!
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1177.00
      05-21-2024, 10:59 AM   #14
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfardresher View Post
....the only draw back I have noticed is the fuel tank capacity. It should be at or above 15 gals.
The only way to fit a larger tank is to increase the wheelbase or raise the back seat to give less head room. Basically an M4 is the alternative if a larger fuel tank is required.
Appreciate 1
DSTR1284.50
      05-21-2024, 11:04 AM   #15
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The only way to fit a larger tank is to increase the wheelbase or raise the back seat to give less head room. Basically an M4 is the alternative if a larger fuel tank is required.
The fuel tank data was not hidden from anyone lol. If you need range this is not the car for you.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3725.50
Geighty71622.00
      05-21-2024, 12:24 PM   #16
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
The fuel tank data was not hidden from anyone lol. If you need range this is not the car for you.
Took the words out of my mouth.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2024, 02:13 PM   #17
KindaSortaTerrible
Rep
Drives: 21 Civic Type R

Agree with your review. The clutch in particular was difficult to get used to coming from a type r which had much smoother engagement without the weird inconsistent springy feeling. And yeah the gas tank- I don’t really take a lot of road trips and I have a gas station just a couple of blocks down from my house so no biggie, but it’s small. Didn’t occur me to even think about that before buying, not that it would have made a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 07:17 PM   #18
beren
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, BMW M2 (soon)

I thought about the fuel tank, after owning a Mazda 3 hatch with its incredibly small tank it sure has been a pleasure to drive a Boxster with its huge tank. I'll have to get used to the frequent stops again.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 07:23 PM   #19
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Interesting feedback. I have the auto & have put just 9k mi on it since the end of Nov. I don't have any issues with brake feel nor the size of the gas tank. Under the "since factory" display I'm averaging almost 25 mpg. On straight highway trips I avg almost 29 mpg with auto cruise set at 84-85 mph. That's great for a ~500 hp performance coupe.

I agree the seats & seating position are excellent. I want to put the seats in my '11 Z06 they're so good. Fit & finish is at the top of the 40+ vehicles I've owned & I'd prefer the matte black shifter surround instead of the glossy piano black that comes with the autos.
The auto box top gear is massively different and you're cruising 1k rpm lower than the manual. The gas tank is objectively too small. You struggle to get 200mi in mixed driving with the 6mt.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:03 PM   #20
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero21 View Post
The auto box top gear is massively different and you're cruising 1k rpm lower than the manual. The gas tank is objectively too small. You struggle to get 200mi in mixed driving with the 6mt.
Like was mentioned, fuel capacity wasn't a secret. I have no issues with the fuel tank size. If one needs more range, there are plenty of other vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #21
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdem View Post
Bottom middle button on the right side of the wheel, then use the scroll wheel above it to cycle through the options.
Thank you for this! Added tire pressures to the Sport display. Clutch. Oil temp, fuel level, RPM, and tire pressures all in one place all the time!

I wasn't able to meet with the genius at the dealer to go over iDrive 8 and there are a lot of videos that miss the little details like this. Plus work has been a mess.

Another question - is there a way to associate your BMW ID with BOTH keys? I keep one in my work bag and one at the house. This morning it logged me in as guest and when I went to get in I smacked my head on the a-pillar because it had moved the seat so dang far forward. Plus all the EQ settings, favorites, mirror settings were ALL GONE. I figured out how to add my BMW ID to this key, but perhaps the other key will now be guest. Annoying, and this morning, painful. I don't want this thing moving the seat EVER. It even turned on both seat heaters and its 70 degrees out (!). My Wife's X5 does this all the time, mixing up and forgetting settings between the 2 keys.