E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > policy around test drives?

09-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
policy around test drives?

Not sure if this is in the right forum section so apologies if it isn’t.

Just wondering what the policy is around test drives, I have heard a lot about 'salesman discretion’ which is what I might have problems with.

I am 23 with not a great deal of driving experience but I am in the middle of saving now for a 335i m sport on AUC, I should have the money ready by March.

Ideally I want to test a new 335i and maybe a few other bmws out before it gets nearer the time it was snowing last year / start of this year. At least then I know more about the car, whether or not I like the auto with paddles etc etc.

I live quite close to Sytner Sunningdale so not sure if anybody from there can clarify.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Just turn up at any BMW showroom looking like a serious buyer and they should accomodate you, wouldn't mention you are not yet ready to buy as that would probably mean they see you as a dreamer at the moment. Take a few drives, tell them you want to think about it, say you have decided not to get into financing a car and want to save for 6 months when you will be able to buy the car. Some might be a little annoyed but most should see you as a potentail customer in a few months time.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I think that they may see you as a time-waster (whether you are or not). A great deal can happen in the next 6 months; for instance, the Salesman could have moved on.

They will probably spend some time determining your needs and when they find out your position, politely ask if they can call you again in c5 months time.

Imagine what you would do in their position - they are only really interested in a quick(ish) sale!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

Last time I went to my local BMW dealer their policy was you had to be 25 to test drive a car
      09-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the responses, I guess I will just have to try go in some of the local BMW places to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Power View Post
Last time I went to my local BMW dealer their policy was you had to be 25 to test drive a car
I hope this isn’t the case! It is kind of silly if they do rules like that, my friend bought an m3 be it an e46 at 22.

If you have the money and your serious about buying I don't think there should be such age restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
Thanks for the responses, I guess I will just have to try go in some of the local BMW places to try it out.

I hope this isn’t the case! It is kind of silly if they do rules like that, my friend bought an m3 be it an e46 at 22.

If you have the money and your serious about buying I don't think there should be such age restrictions.
I think its something to do with their insurance, but I'm not 100% sure.
      09-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

The 25 year old rule is usually to do with Insurance rather than dealer policy.

Edit: snap
      09-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I was only chatting about this last night to my mate who is a business manager at a local dealer. Their policy is over 21's only - below that and you can't test drive or have a loan car as there insurance won't cover it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Definitely insurance related ie. risk assessment. You defo can't test drive a Porsche if under 25. You may be sensible but statistically others in your age group are not necessarily so and insurance companies love nothing else than a 'reason' not to pay out or provide cover.

I'd also make sure they take you seriously when the time comes and if you're looking at a 335i from the AUC site, make sure you get a full and comprehensive BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #10
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport

Don't torture yourself.

I know if I test drove a 335i I would be leaving in it, even if it wasn't the right timing.

Get the money together then go in meaning business. You will enjoy the process better and get treated more seriously.

Good luck.
      09-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

+1

Test driving now doesn't serve much purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
Don't torture yourself.

I know if I test drove a 335i I would be leaving in it, even if it wasn't the right timing.

Get the money together then go in meaning business. You will enjoy the process better and get treated more seriously.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #12
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Different brands, different dealerships, different policies....I remember my friend telling me that Mazda was offering to let you test drive the rx8 for a weekend....(so, you get to keep the rx8 for the whole weekend!!!)

some Audi dealerships will let you have a test drive unaccompanied for a few hours...and some will only allow 30mins accompanied test drive....

I only had a 10 mins drive in the 335i....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Different brands, different dealerships, different policies....I remember my friend telling me that Mazda was offering to let you test drive the rx8 for a weekend....(so, you get to keep the rx8 for the whole weekend!!!)

some Audi dealerships will let you have a test drive unaccompanied for a few hours...and some will only allow 30mins accompanied test drive....

I only had a 10 mins drive in the 335i....
Me too and 10 minutes isn't enough time to know whether or not you would be happy with a car. Mine was an AUC but still if your parting with your hard earned you should be allowed at least half an hour so that you can find a couple of different types of road. Luckily ten minutes was all I needed to fall in love!!!!

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #14
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I do not see the point of going test driving a car 6 months before you want to buy. So many things can happen. Get the money together and then go for it. Makes the process much easier and you can straight away buy it if you like it!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #15
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Mazda was offering to let you test drive the rx8 for a weekend....(so, you get to keep the rx8 for the whole weekend!!!)
Well, that's certainly enough time to make up your mind NOT TO BUY an RX8 . To be fair you'll probably have made up your mind before you've left the dealers driveway .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #16
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
I do not see the point of going test driving a car 6 months before you want to buy. So many things can happen. Get the money together and then go for it. Makes the process much easier and you can straight away buy it if you like it!
yea i wouldnt normally but I just want to make sure

a) it's definatly the right car for me
b) i know how they should feel so when i go for an AUC i know what to expect
c) I am so worried about snow and whatever else guess it's being over paranoid really.

Thanks for the replys though, I didn't think about the insurance thing so I can understand about age restrictions now for test drives.

It's gonna be a long 6 months
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:45 AM   #17
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
The snow last year only wiped out two weeks in fairness so wouldn't worry about that . Nice motor to be getting at your age, hats off to you mate, I'm seriously considering another one.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
PTTM
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Mate my personal advice would be to go in confidently and dressed smartly. Tell them you are looking for a 335i and have the money ready to buy a car now (white lies or bull sh*t help) but your looking for the right one.
Don't worry about the insurance it only limits people under the age 21/22 and people with 9 points and / or ban within the last 5 years (include me in that bracket)
I would be very surprised if they don't bend over backwards to help you.
Clothing is very important as my father who likes his cars has gone into dealers in his gardening clothes to have a look at around and he has been ignored. What you look like is initially how the salesman will weigh you up.
Good luck fella, let us know how you get on!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #19
Freethy
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i M Sport

I agree with PTTM to a point in terms of how you look, but i often find that this is down to the salesman himself. I walked into an Audi dealership on my way home from work (shirt etc) enquiring about an S3 and wasn't even taken to a salesman desk, and then pretty much told me i couldn't afford one whilst standing in front of the receptionist....
[I emailed the dealership to tell them of my experience and then went to BMW ]

I've had various test drives in cars over the years, i've been chucked the keys for a Subaru and told to come back in an hour, i've had a 24hr test drive in an A3 2.0T (that i didn't even ask for), i've had 15 minutes in my recent 325 purchase. It kinda depends really on the salesman and the dealership policy.

I can pretty much make up my mind in 10 mins whether i like it or not, some people take longer.

Just be prepared that if you look for a test drive now they WILL try to find you a car immediately from their books, with respect unless they are really quiet they probably wont want to invest the time in you.

Would you perhaps be better off leaving it another couple of months so that your purchase date isn't so far in the future?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

It may also help to identify the car you want to try via the BMW Web Site first. Phone up and talk about the car, asking questions about the spec and it's condition and a potential 'deal'. The book to go and view it and make sure that they know you will be wanting a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #21
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

i have always found it very difficult getting test drives.. and a decent length one has really never happened.. lucky i've not had a lemon really!

being 24 when i bought my e92, i think you will have similar difficulty..

although it is a bit demoralising, i would advise you take a parent or aunt/uncle with you.. i would if i did this again.

once you get the car you will be taken far more seriously when you show them your trade in but getting sales people to give you the time to make a decision on the first one is very hard work.

good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #22
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
thanks for the replies, good folks at sytner said i can book one with them so I will be going there in oct.
Appreciate 0