BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

05-19-2024, 09:44 PM   #1
jhstjh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2024 GR Corolla

Garage List
Is it just my luck or the windshield is super fragile

I've had my M2 for about 6 month now. 3 months ago the windshield was cracked by a small rock on the highway. The crack was initially small but Safelite failed the repair (grew into larger crack) and I ended up replacing it. It was replaced with OEM windshield, had to wait for a month for the parts.

Yesterday I went out to see a movie, didn't notice anything while driving there but when I came back to my car I noticed a 15-inch long crack from driver side edge of the windshield all the way to the field of my view. The crack grew to 20+ inches and is still growing. I'm afraid if this time I need to wait for another month for replacement part the crack will grow all the way through.

I've been driving around the same area for the past 4 years and it never happened to my previous car, and the M2, only 6 months in and 3000 miles on it I had to replace the windshield twice. I wonder if it's just my luck? Or people are having similar kind of experience?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BroDoze310.00
      05-19-2024, 09:48 PM   #2
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Yikes. Sucks man!
      05-20-2024, 06:25 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstjh View Post
I've had my M2 for about 6 month now. 3 months ago the windshield was cracked by a small rock on the highway. The crack was initially small but Safelite failed the repair (grew into larger crack) and I ended up replacing it. It was replaced with OEM windshield, had to wait for a month for the parts.

Yesterday I went out to see a movie, didn't notice anything while driving there but when I came back to my car I noticed a 15-inch long crack from driver side edge of the windshield all the way to the field of my view. The crack grew to 20+ inches and is still growing. I'm afraid if this time I need to wait for another month for replacement part the crack will grow all the way through.

I've been driving around the same area for the past 4 years and it never happened to my previous car, and the M2, only 6 months in and 3000 miles on it I had to replace the windshield twice. I wonder if it's just my luck? Or people are having similar kind of experience?
Drove for years with no windshield issues.

Then got a rock chip in my Boxster's windshield. This on I580 in the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area. (I lived in Livermore and commuted 60 miles a day to/from Hayward.)

After a few years chip developed into a crack. Had to have the windshield replaced. (Safelite. Factory glass.)

Not long enough after the new windshield got a tiny chip in it.

Then got a tiny chip in my Turbo's windshield.

Then got a chip in my 2018 MINI JCW's windshield.

That stretch of I580 I drove on was a main artery for big rigs to/from the bay area. And on top of that a number of bay area cities used that stretch of freeway to haul trash to a landfill out in the hills east and north of Livermore.

Given how often I'd hear something hit one of my cars it was a wonder4 I didn't experience more windshield hits.

In August 2020 was living in Benton County AR. No windshield issues until after I bought a 2023 MINI JCW. Bought it mid March 2023 and drove it to Dec. 2023. Put around 7K miles on the car. In that time it got a chip in its windshield. Had Safelite perform a repair of the glass. Don't know how well it held up as I traded the car in. But the chip cost me in trade in value.

Most of my driving here is on surface streets. But the place is growing and there is a lot of construction and earth moving going on. So the roads have a good number of dump trucks on them. While I'm careful to not follow too close -- staying back "300 feet" is impossible though -- the odds are against my cars' windshields.

Thankfully though so far both my 230xi and my M2 windshields have managed to avoid any chips.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 07:11 AM   #4
BroDoze
Captain
Rep

Sounds like a good reason for windshield PPF.
      05-20-2024, 01:54 PM   #5
jhstjh
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Drove for years with no windshield issues.

Then got a rock chip in my Boxster's windshield. This on I580 in the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area. (I lived in Livermore and commuted 60 miles a day to/from Hayward.)

After a few years chip developed into a crack. Had to have the windshield replaced. (Safelite. Factory glass.)

Not long enough after the new windshield got a tiny chip in it.

Then got a tiny chip in my Turbo's windshield.

Then got a chip in my 2018 MINI JCW's windshield.

That stretch of I580 I drove on was a main artery for big rigs to/from the bay area. And on top of that a number of bay area cities used that stretch of freeway to haul trash to a landfill out in the hills east and north of Livermore.

Given how often I'd hear something hit one of my cars it was a wonder4 I didn't experience more windshield hits.

In August 2020 was living in Benton County AR. No windshield issues until after I bought a 2023 MINI JCW. Bought it mid March 2023 and drove it to Dec. 2023. Put around 7K miles on the car. In that time it got a chip in its windshield. Had Safelite perform a repair of the glass. Don't know how well it held up as I traded the car in. But the chip cost me in trade in value.

Most of my driving here is on surface streets. But the place is growing and there is a lot of construction and earth moving going on. So the roads have a good number of dump trucks on them. While I'm careful to not follow too close -- staying back "300 feet" is impossible though -- the odds are against my cars' windshields.

Thankfully though so far both my 230xi and my M2 windshields have managed to avoid any chips.
I have to take I-880 whenever I need to head out. It is the worst around bay area lots of trucks and crappy road. The first crack was on I-880 and the second time, despite I don't know where it happened, I drove on I-880 that day. I probably should just take the local when possible...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 01:57 PM   #6
jhstjh
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Sounds like a good reason for windshield PPF.
From what I heard it affects the clarity of the windshield. It was recommended to me by the shop when I did the PPF but I declined. Wonder if anyone has had experience with windshield PPF.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:57 PM   #7
BroDoze
Captain
Rep

I need more info on it too. ^^

Lack of clarity would drive me nuts...

I keep asking my PPF shop if I can see a demo of it on a customer car or something.