E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Taken from behind :(

08-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Scoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 C2s Crayon / Golf R 7.5

Taken from behind :(

I've just been hit from behind by a white laguna while i was stationary on a main road in traffic . Totally unexpected and considering the force the damage seems only minor to my car, his car on the otherhand looked like it had been in a fight and lost. I would say he hit me at about 20mph .

To be honest all he looks likes hes done is damaged my rear bumper and there seems to be no other damage but then again im no engineer.

This only happened 45 minutes ago , the chap driving was Polish but luckily he is insured and i have a witness who came up to me and gave me all his details.

My insurance company ( Privilege ) wants me to use their firm to repair my car but i said i wanted to go to my local BMW dealer. They said it would be a lot faster if i went with theirs and they would provide a car while mine is getting repaired. Should i stick to my guns with using BMW ?

I'm also injured , well i think i am but im still shook up. My neck is already stiff and i've hurt my wrist when i went forward in my seat. I don't know if this is just shock or im going to wake up feeling crap but should i go to the Dr's tomorrow if bad or take it like a man ?

On the bright side comparing both cars the BMW looks like its just kicked the S@@t out of the Renault .

1 nil to BMW

Will try to post pics.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Glad your not too hurt Scoot, ring your dealer and they`ll sort everything out for you, get yourself down the hospital for a check over aswell, whiplash can be a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your accident. Tis so annoying when that happens.

Glad you are ok - apart from the compensitis (only joking)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Glad you are ok mate.

It should all go through his insurance so get it done how you want and you should expect a like for like replacement car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
I've just been hit from behind by a white laguna while i was stationary on a main road in traffic . Totally unexpected and considering the force the damage seems only minor to my car, his car on the otherhand looked like it had been in a fight and lost. I would say he hit me at about 20mph .

To be honest all he looks likes hes done is damaged my rear bumper and there seems to be no other damage but then again im no engineer.

This only happened 45 minutes ago , the chap driving was Polish but luckily he is insured and i have a witness who came up to me and gave me all his details.

My insurance company ( Privilege ) wants me to use their firm to repair my car but i said i wanted to go to my local BMW dealer. They said it would be a lot faster if i went with theirs and they would provide a car while mine is getting repaired. Should i stick to my guns with using BMW ?

I'm also injured , well i think i am but im still shook up. My neck is already stiff and i've hurt my wrist when i went forward in my seat. I don't know if this is just shock or im going to wake up feeling crap but should i go to the Dr's tomorrow if bad or take it like a man ?

On the bright side comparing both cars the BMW looks like its just kicked the S@@t out of the Renault .

1 nil to BMW

Will try to post pics.

Bad luck fella. Shame that's happened - thankfully the other driver is insured. Advice to you, firstly get yourself down to the hospital for a checkup, and to register the fact that you've been in a car accident and may have potential for whiplash and a strain on the wrist. Whiplash can take effect many hours after the incident, and most often after you've woken up from sleep. It can be severely debilitating if not dealt with you, and can last many weeks after the accident.

The injury should also be reported to your insurance company, so that there is full disclosure from the beginning in case you need to pursue a medical claim at a later stage.

With regards to the repair, insist that it is done at a BMW garage. Whilst the Priviledge people may be quicker, at least you will know that the repair from a BMW garage will be done to a certain standard, and if there are any issues that you have the possibility of getting it sorted at dealer level, or going higher to customer services. Basically, you have more options with a BMW garage.

BMW actually have a service where they will organise a third party company to handle your claim in its entirety, down to organising a hire car for the duration that your vehicle is in for your repair. Given that the fault of the incident rests with the other driver, then you should have no problems at all in your claim.

Good luck, and get that neck looked at asap.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Sorry to hear whats happened, hope they repair rather than writing off!

I wouldn't go with the insurance bodyshop unless you knew them to be good.

Take your car to a local Coachworks who know what they are doing

Good luck.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Scoot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Bad luck fella. Shame that's happened - thankfully the other driver is insured. Advice to you, firstly get yourself down to the hospital for a checkup, and to register the fact that you've been in a car accident and may have potential for whiplash and a strain on the wrist. Whiplash can take effect many hours after the incident, and most often after you've woken up from sleep. It can be severely debilitating if not dealt with you, and can last many weeks after the accident.

The injury should also be reported to your insurance company, so that there is full disclosure from the beginning in case you need to pursue a medical claim at a later stage.

With regards to the repair, insist that it is done at a BMW garage. Whilst the Priviledge people may be quicker, at least you will know that the repair from a BMW garage will be done to a certain standard, and if there are any issues that you have the possibility of getting it sorted at dealer level, or going higher to customer services. Basically, you have more options with a BMW garage.

BMW actually have a service where they will organise a third party company to handle your claim in its entirety, down to organising a hire car for the duration that your vehicle is in for your repair. Given that the fault of the incident rests with the other driver, then you should have no problems at all in your claim.

Good luck, and get that neck looked at asap.

Thx E92fan will take your advice though i've got a late appointment tomorrow with my Dr.

The damage only looks like just the rear bumper but i'll wait until BMW have checked it all over. I must of been lucky getting the only local Polish chap to have insurance.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Pitva
Rep
Drives: E91 325d MSport

I was with Privilege [and still am] when someone drove into the side on my 120d a few months ago - I insisted the car was recovered to my local BMW Bodyshop who I know do a good job and if BMW do it you get a certificate of warranty on the repair. Privilege caved in pretty quick when I demanded it was BMW to "retain my warranty" as I put it. Also the third party claims and hire car service BMW dealers seem to use is Accident Exchange - they are OK but be very careful how they claim back your un-insured losses for you [additonal expenses, time off work, any extra costs etc] as they seem to have messed my claim up...

The most useful thing I can tell you is that there is a basis for a claim called diminution in many cases i.e. even though your car may be perfectly repaired you may well still lose out when you sell or part ex it when someone spots the repair. This being the case you can use a third party claims company to claim a percentage of the value of your car pre accident to put you back in the position you would have been [and you don't have to sell the car now to get it]. Recommend a quick Google on diminution for further detail.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Scoot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitva View Post
I was with Privilege [and still am] when someone drove into the side on my 120d a few months ago - I insisted the car was recovered to my local BMW Bodyshop who I know do a good job and if BMW do it you get a certificate of warranty on the repair. Privilege caved in pretty quick when I demanded it was BMW to "retain my warranty" as I put it. Also the third party claims and hire car service BMW dealers seem to use is Accident Exchange - they are OK but be very careful how they claim back your un-insured losses for you [additonal expenses, time off work, any extra costs etc] as they seem to have messed my claim up...

The most useful thing I can tell you is that there is a basis for a claim called diminution in many cases i.e. even though your car may be perfectly repaired you may well still lose out when you sell or part ex it when someone spots the repair. This being the case you can use a third party claims company to claim a percentage of the value of your car pre accident to put you back in the position you would have been [and you don't have to sell the car now to get it]. Recommend a quick Google on diminution for further detail.
Thx Pitva
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear of your accident. Get to the doctors by tomorrow morning even if you still don't feel any pain. It can be up to two weeks for whiplash to take affect. I was hit in the rear 4 months ago. I did feel a little pain in the first two weeks but got worse. I didn't realise how bad my neck was until I went to a physio supplied by the third party which was two months after the accident. You might feel like there's nothing to worry about now but keep your options open.

As the accident is not your fault you are in your right to demand repair where you see fit and get a like for like replacement vehicle.

I'm no engineer and thought my car would be repaired (see pics) but the damage was in the crumple zone within the chassis and was presumed dead within the week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Ouch, as long as you are ok, metal can be repaired. And on that note, stick to your guns and use BMW reapirers and someone like helphire, they will get you a similar spec loan vehicle in a non fault accident, like this, and handle any whiplash claim.

And like others have said, get to the doctors.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Unlucky Scoot - At least everyone is OK!! Thats the main thing. The bits of metal can be bolted back together again and made like new - people can't!

Sounds like a nice and easy claim anyway, and you can always take your frustration out on the loaner

Defo stick with a BMW repair, especially if it is your car and you want all the warranty etc so as to not affect the residual value.

Hope all goes well and your neck pain clears up
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Ouch! Been there and know exactly how you feel

All I'll say here is that the guy who hit me had your insurers and the final settlement has not been resolved after 10 months.

Make sure that you get checked out, and report it to the Police if you haven't already due to your injuries.

You have the right to have the car repaired where you want, and also a like-for-like replacement vehicle in a non-fault accident.

Goodluck

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Hey Scoot

Really bad news...

I'm with Privilege and from what they say in their policy you are entitled to go where you want for repairs.
Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  397.7 KB

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I would insist that BMW look at the car to check for any damage but let them carry out any work needed. Most dealers farm out any bodyshop work anyway so I really wouldn't worry about it, only problem I can see is if it is done by BMW all warranty will also be with warranty, if you get any problems later BMW can pass the buck and say "it has been in an accident and repaired, there for we can't cover that anymore."
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
They shouldn't really argue as I would have thought the other parties insurance will be picking up the tab.

Mate of mine (non-BMW car) had the same he asked them to direct bill to the other parties insurance an equivalent hire car as the garage only offered Ford Ka.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #17
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Sorry to hear that - like has already been said - get to the docs!!!
      08-07-2008, 02:43 AM   #18
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hope you feel better soon Scoot. Definitely see the quack for a check-up

Personally I would want BMW to repair my vehicle and no one else
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #19
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 325I M Sport

I echo the comments above hope you feel better soon.

The important thing is you walked away..

I know excatly how you are feeling, so good luck..
Appreciate 0