F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Smoke - Oil from or just on exhaust?
GetBMWParts

04-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #1
qluvaas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Smoke - Oil from or just on exhaust?

Twice I’ve seen light smoke coming out of the passenger side of my engine bay between the coolant and engine areas. The first time occurred before a multi hour roadtrip in which I saw no smoke, so I think it may be related to when I apply more power/turbo pressure. The only oil or burning substance I can see is in the attached photos, which I think is the exhaust. Is the tube going into the exhaust leaking oil or could the oil be from somewhere else and sliding down the line going into the exhaust.

View post on imgur.com

Circled on the diagram is where I think the photos are.
No codes, no overheating, engine oil level is still at max after changing last year.

2013 BMW 335i N55
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:08 PM   #2
qluvaas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

If it is the VCG, considering the small amount of leaked oil, do you think this is an urgent fix or could I wipe it off and see if the leak comes back?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #3
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qluvaas View Post
If it is the VCG, considering the small amount of leaked oil, do you think this is an urgent fix or could I wipe it off and see if the leak comes back?
It's not drop everything urgent, but that's been leaking for a good amount of time. After you change the VCG you'll find that it will still burn off residual oil for well over a week after, in my case at least. There is going to be a lot more above the cat on the side of the block.

If you notice the metal heatshield underneath the silver insulated line, further underneath that is where you'd want to wipe in the interim. Personally, it made me uneasy putting this off while having something that can catch fire dripping on hot exhaust components.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 12:15 AM   #4
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

My valve cover gasket was leaking for a year before I got around to changing it--these things leak more and more and you do have to add oil as it gets worse. And the smoke, especially after stopping gets to the point where its too much. So, yeah, it basically depends on how long you want to put up with that stuff.
Appreciate 0