BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #1
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Carbon fiber inner door handle mod/cover

Paint was scratched off and looked terrible. The dealer told me I'd have to replace the entire inner door cover to fix the damage.

So, I went the carbon fiber stick on route. I was expecting low quality and an improper fit.

After "installation" I am very pleased. Perfect fit and it actually looks halfway decent.

Here is a pic-
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
boneca2038.00
-=LD=-17.00
Burnt C6257.50
      04-18-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
nice little touch, I'm assuming you have CF trim to match?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
nice little touch, I'm assuming you have CF trim to match?
That's the first carbon fiber inside. All four doors got it. It almost looks black when you don't have flashlight on it. Next I'm going to put a cf cover in the cup holder area. Beyond that, a few small silver trim pieces will eventually get covered. I want enough in there so it doesn't look out of place.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
That's the first carbon fiber inside. All four doors got it. It almost looks black when you don't have flashlight on it. Next I'm going to put a cf cover in the cup holder area. Beyond that, a few small silver trim pieces will eventually get covered. I want enough in there so it doesn't look out of place.
be careful, once you go cf you will want to cover everything in it

I've been down that road before, that's why I'm trying to stay away from cf completely (there is nothing wrong with cf though)
Appreciate 1
-=LD=-17.00
      04-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #5
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
Quote:
be careful, once you go cf you will want to cover everything in it

I've been down that road before, that's why I'm trying to stay away from cf completely (there is nothing wrong with cf though)
Honestly, I had that thought too. I was forced into the door handle covers….hiding damage that, as a perfectionist, was driving me up the wall. Next, I was forced into the cup holder cover to tie the door handles in. I hope the cup holder cover isn't overkill and I hope I can stop there.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #6
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Honestly, I had that thought too. I was forced into the door handle covers….hiding damage that, as a perfectionist, was driving me up the wall. Next, I was forced into the cup holder cover to tie the door handles in. I hope the cup holder cover isn't overkill and I hope I can stop there.
I have damage on my driver side one and it is killing me.. same interior color too...
I really want to avoid going the route of adding a cover which would not match anything else inside

Any ideas of the part is replaceable?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 02:02 PM   #7
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Quote:
I have damage on my driver side one and it is killing me.. same interior color too...
I really want to avoid going the route of adding a cover which would not match anything else inside

Any ideas of the part is replaceable?
A bmw service rep told me the whole inner door had to be replaced to repair. This particular rep has been wrong before mind you. I'd estimate he's batting about .800, which is probably well above average nowadays.

I saw a black gloss version of these handle covers which I might buy at some point. I'd imagine a matte black version is out there somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #8
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
A bmw service rep told me the whole inner door had to be replaced to repair. This particular rep has been wrong before mind you. I'd estimate he's batting about .800, which is probably well above average nowadays.

I saw a black gloss version of these handle covers which I might buy at some point. I'd imagine a matte black version is out there somewhere.
Thanks.
When I take the doors apart to install the remainder of the speaker grills, I'll take a look at them to see if they have a part number perhaps.

If not, I'd love to get an insert that OP has, but color matched to the doors, which I have a feeling will be hard to find/source unless spray painted :-/
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #9
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
When I take the doors apart to install the remainder of the speaker grills, I'll take a look at them to see if they have a part number perhaps.

If not, I'd love to get an insert that OP has, but color matched to the doors, which I have a feeling will be hard to find/source unless spray painted :-/
That was my first hope, something color matched. I couldn't find them anywhere. As previously stated, I was able to find a gloss black version that seems to fit in with the color scheme.

I highly doubt anyone would know the black version of these trim covers wasn't from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 03:42 AM   #10
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Paint was scratched off and looked terrible. The dealer told me I'd have to replace the entire inner door cover to fix the damage.

So, I went the carbon fiber stick on route. I was expecting low quality and an improper fit.

After "installation" I am very pleased. Perfect fit and it actually looks halfway decent.

Here is a pic-
Where did you buy them from?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 06:44 AM   #11
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Quote:

Here is a pic-
Where did you buy them from?
eBay. Shipped from China. Cheap crap but it looks decent and does the job of hiding damage. I added a piece of carbon fiber to the cup holder area and CF mirror caps to attempt tie it all in.

It looks like it belongs.
Appreciate 0