BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2024, 02:04 AM   #1
ddigiri
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Smile Asking tips on deal on X40i 25

Hi,

Like many others, I'm new to this forum and receiving massive help while hunting for MY25 x40i in the market. Here's my situation, and I still need your help in terms of getting the best deal:

I sent out my build to all dealers in my area (Dallas, TX) to get their offers a couple of weeks ago, mentioning that I'm willing to purchase it in cash. (I didn't realize at that time this isn't helpful at all in negotiating the price. I actually thought paying in full cash would give me more leverage.)

I settled with a dealer and ended up ordering my build, with the production set for the week of the 20th in May, along with a production number.

I also received a final quote on my build from the dealer, without any discount off of MSRP. At that time, I thought it would be fine without any discount since it’s the latest model with a custom order.

After realizing how much off of MSRP others ended up getting in this forum, and the mistakes I’ve made, I want to push really hard on dealers to give me a discount. Here are a few things I’d like to ask:

What’s the strategy I can use at this point, given that I already settled with this dealer that didn’t give me any discount in the first place, to get the deal I want? In my situation, I need the new vehicle ASAP, so walking out might unfortunately not be an option. The other option I’m considering is financing the car to get the best deal out of it and paying off early.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 05:33 AM   #2
MitchDog
Private
Rep
Drives: 25' BMW X5 40i, 23' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigiri View Post
Hi,

Like many others, I'm new to this forum and receiving massive help while hunting for MY25 x40i in the market. Here's my situation, and I still need your help in terms of getting the best deal:

I sent out my build to all dealers in my area (Dallas, TX) to get their offers a couple of weeks ago, mentioning that I'm willing to purchase it in cash. (I didn't realize at that time this isn't helpful at all in negotiating the price. I actually thought paying in full cash would give me more leverage.)

I settled with a dealer and ended up ordering my build, with the production set for the week of the 20th in May, along with a production number.

I also received a final quote on my build from the dealer, without any discount off of MSRP. At that time, I thought it would be fine without any discount since it’s the latest model with a custom order.

After realizing how much off of MSRP others ended up getting in this forum, and the mistakes I’ve made, I want to push really hard on dealers to give me a discount. Here are a few things I’d like to ask:

What’s the strategy I can use at this point, given that I already settled with this dealer that didn’t give me any discount in the first place, to get the deal I want? In my situation, I need the new vehicle ASAP, so walking out might unfortunately not be an option. The other option I’m considering is financing the car to get the best deal out of it and paying off early.

Thanks in advance.
Sent you a PM. I am from the DFW area as well, and nobody that I found in this immediate area will play ball. You can definitely do better than MSRP without having to travel far...and still get a production date without much delay.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 08:41 AM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome to the forum. You wouldn't like it if they came back and changed their price after an agreement so you probably shouldn't change yours. Obviously you can ask but I wouldn't expect them to change the deal at this point. Best would be to walk away, may have to forfeit any deposit, and start over. Unfortunately with your time crunch that really isn't an option.

My suggestion would be to just follow through with your deal. It it still the same deal you were happy with until you read about others. You will never get a deal better than everyone else so why chase it? Once you have your new X5 and are driving it you will not be thinking about how your deal compared to others.

Good luck.
      05-08-2024, 08:53 AM   #4
MitchDog
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Welcome to the forum. You wouldn't like it if they came back and changed their price after an agreement so you probably shouldn't change yours. Obviously you can ask but I wouldn't expect them to change the deal at this point. Best would be to walk away, may have to forfeit any deposit, and start over. Unfortunately with your time crunch that really isn't an option.

My suggestion would be to just follow through with your deal. It it still the same deal you were happy with until you read about others. You will never get a deal better than everyone else so why chase it? Once you have your new X5 and are driving it you will not be thinking about how your deal compared to others.

Good luck.
I get what your saying TB, but respectfully, we're talking multiple thousands of dollars . I'm all for keeping my word, but sometimes a person might have to walk away. They will still sell the car, probably at MSRP. You don't have to do much chasing to find a deal on a 40i. As you know, OP could find an existing allocation and convert it, and have his/her car within 3 weeks or so.
Without this forum and the amazing folks on here, I would be in the same position as OP and would also think that a new build BMW, new model year would be at MSRP without asking any questions. I am extremely thankful for this community!!

Last edited by MitchDog; 05-08-2024 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:00 AM   #5
ddigiri
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Good luck.
It makes moral sense, thanks for your valuable input.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #6
ddigiri
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchDog View Post
I get what your saying TB, but respectfully, we're talking multiple thousands of dollars . I'm all for keeping my word, but sometimes a person might have to walk away. They will still sell the car, probably at MSRP. You don't have to do much chasing to find a deal on a 40i. As you know, OP could find an existing allocation and convert it, and have his/her car within 3 weeks or so.
Without this forum and the amazing folks on here, I would be in the same position as OP and would also think that a new build BMW, new model year would be at MSRP without asking any questions. I am extremely thankful for this community!!
Thanks for our kind input!
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2024, 09:08 AM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchDog View Post
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. As I said, walking away would be the best course of action. There is nothing unethical about doing so. I was referring to going back on the deal you agreed to and trying to renegotiate it. I look at that differently than walking away. As part of walking away if they open negotiations that would be good.
      05-08-2024, 09:13 AM   #8
MitchDog
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. As I said, walking away would be the best course of action. There is nothing unethical about doing so. I was referring to going back on the deal you agreed to and trying to renegotiate it. I look at that differently than walking away. As part of walking away if they open negotiations that would be good.
Ahhhh. Ok, my misunderstanding. Yes that makes perfect sense.
Appreciate 0