E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > xHP Flashtool Stage 3 Review 2006 E90 330D

02-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #1
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

xHP Flashtool Stage 3 Review 2006 E90 330D

Hello All.

After a painfully long wait for it to become available for my specific TCU hardware, I finally had the chance to purchase this and flash the Stage 3 map a couple of weeks ago. I thought I would put some miles on before writing an initial review just so it is more representative of everyday, real world driving.

When I first seen xHP launch this, I instantly wanted it as I really felt the lazy shifts was what was holding back the full potential of the car's performance. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting and neither should anyone else expect software to transform a torque converter into a DCT or something, as there is no comparison.

So, I connected my phone (Note 8) with the xHP software to the car using the OBD cable. I used a Carly cable and it connected without a hitch. First, it backed up my existing OEM software onto my phone. I made a copy of this to a safe place just in case. This took exactly 30 minutes to do and then it was ready to flash. I had already purchased the Super License so have all the maps including the general flash license. I may get an urge to try other maps in the future so this was the best value. Then, I flashed the Stage 3 file which took approx. 15 minutes to do. That was it! There were a few worrying yellow and red warning signs pop up on the dash but I was told this was normal. Once the ignition was switched off and then on again, I placed the car into D and noticed it had now changed to D1. This gear indicator in itself is extremely useful to have!

One thing to note, I did not connect a charger to my battery as advised and luckily I was okay and wasn't left stranded. HOWEVER, I do not recommend this and advise the official instructions to be followed!

I was told to driving smoothly and gently for the first 50 miles to let the car adapt to the map, which I did. I did give it a few prods within that time and I don't think it had any adverse effects.

So...any difference? Yep, definitely so. in D, the best way to describe it is that it feels much more "optimized" and efficient. It seems to change gears much more effectively than before and feel progress is made in a much smoother manner than before. It feels more energetic and modern. Dare I say it, it is almost as good as the 8HP gearbox I have tried out in a few cars. The shifts feel much crisper. Then there is S mode. This, in my opinion is only suited to spirited driving and not for your daily commute - unless you want to of course! This is where the biggest difference I felt was. The shifts are FAST and I can definitely feel the acceleration of the car to be quicker. Does it even rev a little higher? I think it does and makes the most of the custom map I have on the engine. It really is a different animal and all the better for it. I currently run at approx. 300bhp and 500lb/ft and this gearbox map really does try and make use of all of this power and torque. The torque aspect though, I feel because of it and the map together, the wheels do spin up much more readily than before so I have had to sensitize my inputs slightly. However, it has given it more of a fun factor.

EDIT: In M mode, I was slightly disappointed as there is a delay between shifting and the gearbox reacting. However, I have just read in the official xHP thread that this is designed in at low loads and it should be much faster on full throttle. I haven't tried at full throttle yet so will give it a go!

Prior to the map, I also had this weird jolt from 2 to 1 when coming to a stop in D mode which was extremely annoying and it resulted in me driving in M everywhere just to avoid this. I did a lot of searching about and there have been a few people with the same issue on this gearbox across a range of models. Some people suggested that it was definitely an overhaul of the gearbox required or at least the actuators to get rid of this and back to normal and some said it was simply a software update required on the early gearboxes. Some said that BMW themselves could update the TCU with the latest firmware which would solve it. I did approach them but they didn't want to know as they said my car was too old The gearbox is perfect in all other gears i.e. shifts smooth and it is obvious there was nothing wrong with it mechanically. It has had an oil/filter change once in its life (car currently on 106k). So I was confident that the mechanics were all okay and hence it had to be the software. I am pleasantly surprised that this issue has now gone away! I wasn't expecting it to to be honest as xHP said the shift point in D from 2 to 1 would still be the same. However, I can happily report that this map resolved this issue. I am not entirely sure how software could have sorted it and would be interested to find out...

Last edited by blueh88; 02-20-2018 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Fabulous to hear a review from someone with the same car as mine I basically only ever drive in D so happy that is improved a lot too. Just waiting on the new MOT rules to decide if I should spend more money on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

i'm interested in that too, have you read about the DWR tune?

i think when in D and not in DCT mode the car limits the torque in lower speeds as the traction light comes on alot, which i guess is the wheels starting to spin and it cutting power. which is swings and round abouts really.

thats for the review, think this is next on my list. although i only have apple phones

Would you mind posting up the costs? the general licence and then the super licence?

Edit,

General is 119 Euros
Super 149 Euros
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

I'd like to try stage 3 but doesn't increase the wear on the gearbox? Stage 1 and 2 don't apparently
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
Fabulous to hear a review from someone with the same car as mine I basically only ever drive in D so happy that is improved a lot too. Just waiting on the new MOT rules to decide if I should spend more money on the car.
Yep, definite improvement.

Yeah will be interesting to see what happens in May with the MOT!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
i'm interested in that too, have you read about the DWR tune?

i think when in D and not in DCT mode the car limits the torque in lower speeds as the traction light comes on alot, which i guess is the wheels starting to spin and it cutting power. which is swings and round abouts really.

thats for the review, think this is next on my list. although i only have apple phones

Would you mind posting up the costs? the general licence and then the super licence?

Edit,

General is 119 Euros
Super 149 Euros
DWR? No, not heard of that? How does it compare?

Yep, you are right and you can notice the power cutting in a lot more hence switching DTC off eliminates this. Although, I do think an LSD would be the next mod for me!!

You can get a cheap android phone purely for this A lot of people have done this.

The total price for the super license came in at £219.99 which was a good chunk cheaper than purchasing the general license and the three maps separately but if you are only interested in one stage, it would be cheaper to purchase the general and your chosen stage 1, 2 or 3.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
I'd like to try stage 3 but doesn't increase the wear on the gearbox? Stage 1 and 2 don't apparently
I think the way xHP put it is that no it doesn't increase wear on the gearbox providing you don't drive like a d***. However, if you do, then there is no "nanny" system to stop additional wear? They also said that there is no possibility to over-rev in any stage so a bit of a safety net there.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
DWR? No, not heard of that? How does it compare?

Yep, you are right and you can notice the power cutting in a lot more hence switching DTC off eliminates this. Although, I do think an LSD would be the next mod for me!!

You can get a cheap android phone purely for this A lot of people have done this.

The total price for the super license came in at £219.99 which was a good chunk cheaper than purchasing the general license and the three maps separately but if you are only interested in one stage, it would be cheaper to purchase the general and your chosen stage 1, 2 or 3.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420149

He's in this thread, maybe drop him a PM to get any more details

Thats a good price when you add up the cost of all 3 tunes!
and yeah i think i'd go that route and just have a dedicated phone for it,

i'm on eagle F1's at the min and will get PS4's next and failing that maybe an LSD lol but theres a cost difference there
Appreciate 1
blueh8870.00
      02-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #9
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420149

He's in this thread, maybe drop him a PM to get any more details

Thats a good price when you add up the cost of all 3 tunes!
and yeah i think i'd go that route and just have a dedicated phone for it,

i'm on eagle F1's at the min and will get PS4's next and failing that maybe an LSD lol but theres a cost difference there
Thanks. I'm more than happy with xHP Stage 3 for now but it is good to know there are other developers out there utilizing xHP!

Haha yeah just a bit!!
Appreciate 0