E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New bmw, what's needed for double din?

11-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Jslater92
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw

New bmw, what's needed for double din?

Hi there, I'm looking at getting a 2007 e91 but want to replace the original radio and bring it into 2015 with a pioneer Apple CarPlay double din, however I'm looking for help as to what I need to make this happen. Ino I need to move the heating controls and get a new fascia but what wiring will be needed.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
Wobble
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E91 Bluewater 325d m sport

Hi bud why not just get one of these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/141551082724
they look original BMW and best of all they fit really easy,I'm definately buying one for my next BMW x
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55

You need the connect2 kit. A few slightly different kits depending on whether the car has pdc etc.

The dynavin looks cool, but the pioneer with carplay is awesome with solid reliability.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Jslater92
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Thanks for the replys, the dynavi looks good but really looking for Apple CarPlay and I think pioneer are on top with that. I have looked at the connects2 kit but seems very expensive to me and wondered if anyone found a cheaper way to buy the wiring individually, maybe I will have to clear the cobwebs from my wallet and splash out lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Wobble
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslater92 View Post
Thanks for the replys, the dynavi looks good but really looking for Apple CarPlay and I think pioneer are on top with that. I have looked at the connects2 kit but seems very expensive to me and wondered if anyone found a cheaper way to buy the wiring individually, maybe I will have to clear the cobwebs from my wallet and splash out lol.
Hi bud when I recently had a 120d m sport I went down the more expensive pioneer route,added the sat nav com box and had the connects kit as well,may seem expensive but to able use the steering wheel controls was a must for me,so after spending just under a grand on the head unit n sat nav,it was a no brainer,head unit was class,but if I'm honest,if I was to do it all again,I'll be getting the dynavin as everything is in one box,plus it doesn't need the connects kit,so the savings are at least half,that's just my opinion,plus looks more original,keep me informed of what you decide,all the best x
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

I'm looking at installing an iPad Mini in my dash over a CarPlay unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 03:39 AM   #7
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
I'm looking at installing an iPad Mini in my dash over a CarPlay unit.
But you'll have to replace it every year. Lol.

For a car, it has to be a dedicated unit with everything. Reverse camera, dab, USB music, carplay, mixtrax. And with a great sounding built in amp with separate sub woofer controls, crossover settings etc. It's a beast.

Here's mine just installed 77dab.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #8
Wobble
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialas View Post

For a car, it has to be a dedicated unit with everything. Reverse camera, dab, USB music, carplay, mixtrax. And with a great sounding built in amp with separate sub woofer controls, crossover settings etc. It's a beast.

Hi bud what head unit is this,and is it a plug n play or does the dash inside need cutting to fit it and can the steering wheel controls control the head unit and price ,thanks x
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 05:49 AM   #9
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialas View Post

Ironically the best iPad to use for an audio install is the original iPad Mini without Retina, as it has far superior audio processing.

Granted you then ideally run an all digital setup from the iPad to an amp.

There's simply no way a traditional headunit can match an iPad for features and usability. Not forgetting when tethered to an iPhone that all calls and texts will go through the iPad.

My main problem with Carplay is that Apple don't allow other navigation apps to be used with it, and as I do not use Apple Maps, this is a huge sticking point.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
Hi bud what head unit is this,and is it a plug n play or does the dash inside need cutting to fit it and can the steering wheel controls control the head unit and price ,thanks x
This one here, a bit pricey, but it has a better screen than the next model down.

Plug and play with the connect2 kit. No wires cut.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

Last edited by Rialas; 11-14-2015 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #11
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post

My main problem with Carplay is that Apple don't allow other navigation apps to be used with it, and as I do not use Apple Maps, this is a huge sticking point.
I agree, don't like Apple maps at all, I've always used Google maps.
But you won't be disappointed with pioneer's on board navigation.
Appreciate 0