BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

06-15-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Theatre Screen Roku Wifi Question

So, I unnecessarily added a Roku 4k Stick to the back of the theatre screen, to add the functionality of a physical dedicated remote, despite the touch-panel door controls and to test the improved performance of the Plex app to my home server.

The Roku will not detect the eSIM Hotspot SSID, however I have been able to successfully pair a couple of iPad and my Macbook without any issue in both the i7 and iX. I even manually entered the SSID of the car with the correct passkey, and it will not pair. I know it's not an i7 eSIM issue with the Hotspot.

Does anyone know if BMW has programmed some sort of block to prevent the pairing of a Roku to the Mobile Hotspot in the car? I have paired the Roku directly to my iPhone hotspot and it works beautifully and the streaming of LiveTV via Plex is much more reliable than using the Plex App installed on the built-in FireTV.

Looking to solve for why I can't pair the Roku to the in-car hotspot. Any suggestions?

Anyone know if the mobile hotspot can be accessed via web browser at a non-standard port to view / change any settings?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 07:11 AM   #2
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

FYI ... just an update on this ... still no solution, and will not detect/connect to local BMW's SSID. The Internal Theatre Screen works flawlessly with the local BMW SSID (eSIM). For RoKu, I need to pair to my iPhone's Hotspot to work.

I'm getting annoyed also with the entertainment system randomly (but regularly enough) defaulting the car audio source to Theatre Screen randomly even when the last source was not Theatre Screen, but USB media or Apple CarPlay. I am going to complain to my dealer and have them put the car on the latest ISTEP w/ iDrive 8.5 to see if that resolves the issue with either of these problems and report back.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 10:46 AM   #3
rollingtaser
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

hm, there should not be any blocking of wifi clients... never heared of that...

especially reading that:
https://faq.bmwusa.com/s/article/BMW...language=en_US

can you adjust 2.4G / 5G or any other settings on the BMW hotspot?
have you tried changing the SSID? (if possible)

i don't know the options available to set - maybe there is a problem or bug!
how old is your roku stick?

as i don't have my car yet i have to guess what you could check...
Appreciate 0