BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-08-2024, 10:30 PM   #1
garageoverflow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Toyota Supra, Corvette Z06

Anyone have aftermarket clutch experience?

I was looking at the 2025 M2 as a possible next car for me, but I know that at least after a few years I would want to add some power. Getting up to 700whp from just a few easy mods is incredibly tempting on these S58s, but I would be worried about needing a very aggressive clutch to handle that power. I wouldn't want to compromise the drive, since this is a bit more of a luxury cruiser.

I have a 2009 C6 Z06 right now with ~600whp NA, and definitely had to upgrade the clutch. It impacted the daily drivable nature of the car, but not as much as the cam required to do so with a naturally aspirated motor. Part of the appeal of the S58 is that you can make that kind of power with pretty tame manners if you aren't in boost.

Does anyone have direct experience with aftermarket clutches and how close they can get to a stock experience? Manual is a non-negotiable with this car (or whatever I pick up next).

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 04:16 AM   #2
MonkeyDLuffy
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garageoverflow View Post
I was looking at the 2025 M2 as a possible next car for me, but I know that at least after a few years I would want to add some power. Getting up to 700whp from just a few easy mods is incredibly tempting on these S58s, but I would be worried about needing a very aggressive clutch to handle that power. I wouldn't want to compromise the drive, since this is a bit more of a luxury cruiser.

I have a 2009 C6 Z06 right now with ~600whp NA, and definitely had to upgrade the clutch. It impacted the daily drivable nature of the car, but not as much as the cam required to do so with a naturally aspirated motor. Part of the appeal of the S58 is that you can make that kind of power with pretty tame manners if you aren't in boost.

Does anyone have direct experience with aftermarket clutches and how close they can get to a stock experience? Manual is a non-negotiable with this car (or whatever I pick up next).

Thanks in advance!
Some people on the G80 forum have installed PTB or Clutch Masters clutches but issues seem to be fairly common which is why I haven't tuned my G87 yet. Actually just bought a 2011 z07, already had headers, exhaust, and a tune but still stock otherwise. Did you get your heads ported/reworked? And are there any specific or unusual maintenance items I should keep an eye on?
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2024, 08:49 AM   #3
garageoverflow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
Some people on the G80 forum have installed PTB or Clutch Masters clutches but issues seem to be fairly common which is why I haven't tuned my G87 yet. Actually just bought a 2011 z07, already had headers, exhaust, and a tune but still stock otherwise. Did you get your heads ported/reworked? And are there any specific or unusual maintenance items I should keep an eye on?
I did have the heads "fixed" and highly suggest that everyone do it.
While they were in there, they did mill the factory heads a tiny bit, but probably not enough to make a huge difference.

Nothing unusual for maintenance other than that, honestly.
You can search for the "Ranger Method" of replacing clutch fluid, which is a good one if the fluid is already dark. They are pretty awesome cars, and incredibly capable. Hope you enjoy! I've had mine for 11.5 years, and that's honestly the only reason I'm considering something else. It's a hard vehicle to replace.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2024, 08:55 AM   #4
RandomBro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (G87)

I think Wagner has an option also. But I'm pretty sure it is just a rebranded PTB.

https://www.bmptuning.com/products/w...H1f5osaGrq4v2o

From what I've researched the few guys over on the G80 forums who tried the Clutch Master offering HATTTTEDDD it. I've also seen many other platforms have issues with the CM stuff, no personal experience, just online research. Personally, I'd prolly stay away from CM.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 09:09 AM   #5
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Feedback was almost universally negative on G8x forums with the available options.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2024, 09:11 AM   #6
RandomBro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Feedback was almost universally negative on G8x forums with the available options.
Even the PTB (Wagner option)?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 09:22 AM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBro View Post
Even the PTB (Wagner option)?
Less bad but still seemed mixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 09:50 AM   #8
RandomBro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Less bad but still seemed mixed.
Well, that's not very promising lol.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:56 AM   #9
MonkeyDLuffy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garageoverflow View Post
I did have the heads "fixed" and highly suggest that everyone do it.
While they were in there, they did mill the factory heads a tiny bit, but probably not enough to make a huge difference.

Nothing unusual for maintenance other than that, honestly.
You can search for the "Ranger Method" of replacing clutch fluid, which is a good one if the fluid is already dark. They are pretty awesome cars, and incredibly capable. Hope you enjoy! I've had mine for 11.5 years, and that's honestly the only reason I'm considering something else. It's a hard vehicle to replace.
Well, the clutch master failed the day after I bought it so I have new clutch fluid now. It was super dark, probably the original fluid. Fixed that and changed the starter, new head unit, and new spark plugs and wires. Running great now, sounds awesome! Did you wrap your headers?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #10
Southtown
Private First Class
Rep

Click_ID has the PTB. Maybe he can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #11
garageoverflow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
Well, the clutch master failed the day after I bought it so I have new clutch fluid now. It was super dark, probably the original fluid. Fixed that and changed the starter, new head unit, and new spark plugs and wires. Running great now, sounds awesome! Did you wrap your headers?
I didn't get the headers wrapped, but if I had to do it all over again, I might get them jet hot coated or something similar. Keep that heat down and away from the starter.

Hope you enjoy! The raw NA power is addicting.
I have the stock 2011+ Z06/ZR1 mufflers, and it's still pretty damn loud with the cam. Much better when the valves are closed, but it's not quiet 😄
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #12
MeTHREE
Rep
Drives: G80

G80 owner, bought my car from a friend -BMW enthusiast who had a PTB clutch (PTB Racing twin disc- one organic disc, one ceramic disc, stock pressure plate). Initially tuned to 700 whp. I had him detune it to around 600 to run on 93. No issues with the clutch, no slipping or trouble with shifts. Thinking about a G87 at some point so might do the same clutch when I switch.
Appreciate 2
RandomBro106.50
chris7197536.50