BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

06-01-2024, 08:49 AM   #1
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

EDIT: It isn’t a thing on these cars. If you have Auto-Blip set to ON and just in driving around town speeds you can do it, but really no need to. If at full throttle you will get some over-revs before the computer catches it and drops the throttle.

Is that a thing in these cars now? If I have auto blip ON I can no-lift shift on acceleration. I'm still in break-in period so I'm not really on it but if you keep the throttle pedal down (1/3 to 1/2 in my case) the RPMs drop between shifts, not over-rev like one would expect, so I'm able to just drive it without lifting between shifts (if you give it gas with clutch in it will then rev up for instance if you catch yourself missing a shift and have to give a quick blip to match your transmission speed it will do it, but if you maintain throttle position between shifts the Revs drop so the computer is lifting).

It for sure allows no lift shifts in mine just like my manual 911 but again I'm staying below 4000K RPMs and 1/2 throttle max. Turn off Auto blip and this feature definitely goes away...Anyone else notice this? Once I'm past break in I will try it again under a little more throttle but at normal "around town driving" mine is definitely no lift shifting.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 06-01-2024 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 01:22 PM   #2
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
Is that a thing in these cars now? If I have auto blip ON I can no-lift shift on acceleration. I'm still in break-in period so I'm not really on it but if you keep the throttle pedal down (1/3 to 1/2 in my case) the RPMs drop between shifts, not over-rev like one would expect, so I'm able to just drive it without lifting between shifts (if you give it gas with clutch in it will then rev up for instance if you catch yourself missing a shift and have to give a quick blip to match your transmission speed it will do it, but if you maintain throttle position between shifts the Revs drop so the computer is lifting).

It for sure allows no lift shifts in mine just like my manual 911 but again I'm staying below 4000K RPMs and 1/2 throttle max. Turn off Auto blip and this feature definitely goes away...Anyone else notice this? Once I'm past break in I will try it again under a little more throttle but at normal "around town driving" mine is definitely no lift shifting.
Noticed and love it. It really comes in handy when speed/power shifting. I still lift a bit just off muscle memory but not all the way, around 1/3rd for me feels nice when I’m really on it.

With auto rev match ON, I noticed it won’t over rev between shifts at all in WOT.

If you get used to it, from a 20 roll or more, you’ll rival the autos. Almost sounds like I’m driving an auto now that I took the CDV route and got rid of that little sucker. Shifts sound immaculate.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1552.00
      06-01-2024, 01:29 PM   #3
mynameisnick4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

I'd be curious if this is there as a safety feature to prevent people from accidentally clutch kicking the car leading to a potential crash OR if it's an actual performance feature. I would think if it was there as a true no lift shift performance feature, they would advertise it as such.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1552.00
      06-01-2024, 08:35 PM   #4
youloze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisnick4 View Post
I'd be curious if this is there as a safety feature to prevent people from accidentally clutch kicking the car leading to a potential crash OR if it's an actual performance feature. I would think if it was there as a true no lift shift performance feature, they would advertise it as such.
Agreed on the advertising point. Strange that if it is a thing that they didn't advertise that at all. I had no lift shift in my C7 Z06 but it felt so foreign I never used it
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1552.00
      06-01-2024, 09:32 PM   #5
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Noticed and love it. It really comes in handy when speed/power shifting. I still lift a bit just off muscle memory but not all the way, around 1/3rd for me feels nice when I’m really on it.

With auto rev match ON, I noticed it won’t over rev between shifts at all in WOT.

If you get used to it, from a 20 roll or more, you’ll rival the autos. Almost sounds like I’m driving an auto now that I took the CDV route and got rid of that little sucker. Shifts sound immaculate.
I lift a little as well just out of habit. Agree with others it feels foreign, but makes for much quicker shifts and much smoother shifts. Thanks for checking the WOT revs.

I know in my F80 with auto blip on it would hang at the proper RPM level to match the next shift if you delayed with clutch in for a couple seconds but if you kept the pedal down and clutched in it would over rev…this thing clearly just hangs out at the engine/transmission RPM match point for a couple seconds but doesn’t rev as long as you don’t give it extra gas during the shift. I can see at WOT where this would save accidentally bouncing off the limiter.

I will test it out tomorrow more aggressively.
      06-01-2024, 09:35 PM   #6
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post

I might need to do this CDV delete.
      06-01-2024, 09:37 PM   #7
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisnick4 View Post
Could be both…safety measure for sure, but one that can be used as a performance advantage.
      06-01-2024, 10:01 PM   #8
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
I might need to do this CDV delete.
Highly recommend. Loads of fun.
Appreciate 1
Click_ID772.50
      06-02-2024, 07:27 PM   #9
CadolinaRipr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My next shop task is the CDV delete. BMS clutch stop is in and feels great.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1552.00
      06-03-2024, 05:52 AM   #10
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Does it only work after a certain RPM?
Mine is working below 5K RPM, haven't done the break in service yet, but even just below 5K if I don't change accelerator position mine drops revs as if I lifted. Just make sure Auto blip (or whatever they call it - Gear shift assist) is ON, because when that's OFF it doesn't work.
      06-03-2024, 08:11 AM   #11
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 ZB (Manual)

Quote:
I’m not sure what I’m expecting since I’ve never driven a car with no-lift shift.

But if I don’t take my foot off the gas and press the clutch, the RPMs go up. If half throttle, they go up a bit, if WOT it redlines.

I don’t think it works.
I have a 23 as well, I'll try it out when I get off work. I'm interested in seeing if it works too
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2024, 02:44 PM   #12
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I think this worked yesterday when I was driving. It for sure did not work today when I was shifting from 4th to 5th gear at about 3000 RPM's. With my foot staying on the gas it revved up. Need to toy around with it some more.
      06-03-2024, 03:27 PM   #13
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Mine hasn’t revved up on me. But I’m not on it…yet. What happens in my car is clutching, keep gas the same, RPMs drop
      06-03-2024, 03:32 PM   #14
daddyjaxx
Private
Rep

I tried this during lunch break. When shifting from 2 to 3, I did not lift my right foot off the gas, and the revs continued to climb when I put in the clutch. This car does not have no-lift shift.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2024, 03:35 PM   #15
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 ZB (Manual)

Yeah I have a 23 and tried it on the drive home, it didn't red line but it did climb to 5k rpms. I was in 3rd going to 4th at about 3k rpms. I do think it climbed slower then I would have thought though
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2024, 09:06 AM   #16
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Maybe your brain is fooling you because you have it ingrained to lift a bit when clutching in?

Try WOT as that has less of an effect of “lifting” a bit. Let us know if the RPMs still drop, which would be amusing and proof that it works. I guess technically RPMs have to drop with your foot on, not climb.
depending on where your foot is, they climb hysterically as expected.
Reviewed some M2 write ups/reviews. Mention is made of manual transmission assistance when downshifting. But no mention of any assistance during up shifts.

I checked my M2's owners manual regarding shift assist:

Gear Shift Assistant

When the Gear Shift Assistant is activated, the rpm will be adjusted automatically during a shifting operation for a fast gear change. 
The system is automatically active when the vehicle is turned on. 
The Gear Shift Assistant can be deactivated/activated via the M Setup menu.

Additional information:
M Setup menu, refer to page 179.

The above doesn't say it is for down shifts only. But of course the assistance is real. I have *experienced* assistance (rev matching) when down shifting.

I have not tried no lift up shifting. Old habits die hard and I invariably lift a bit when up shifting.

But my up shifts -- and especially those made under hard acceleration and at near red line -- are awesome. It almost feels like I'm lifting just the right amount. And to such a degree that TBH I don't think I can legitimately attribute this to my shifting skills.

However, I'm not ready to state there is some assistance during up shifts. I'd need to see something official from BMW.

So I'm going to continue to follow my old habit of lifting when up shifting.

As an aside with my 2018 MINI JCW 6-speed in sport mode there was rev matching during down shifts. My first car with this feature.

But it felt like there was some assistance during up shifts too. In sport mode under hard acceleration the up shifts were ungodly fast. In the lowest gears I could feel the front tires break loose.

Because of this I didn't use sport mode that often as I realized I'd go through a set of front tires in no time. Because the JCW was my daily driver getting the most service lift out of consumables -- like tires -- was a priority.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1552.00
      06-04-2024, 11:53 AM   #17
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Tried mine today under harder acceleration. With harder acceleration I get a very slight increase in RPMs (maybe 50-100) then it drops right down. With lighter acceleration there isn’t this increase in RPMs so it is acting like no lift shift.

My conclusion is it “sort of” has no lift shift. But it isn’t actual no lift shift. What the computer does if you clutch in and hold it with an up shift it will hold RPMs for the next gear for a couple seconds, so I think it’s just running that algorithm taking over throttle input to match the next up shift, making it seem like a no lift shift.

My conclusion is it doesn’t “officially” have no lift shift, but at least in my car I can treat it as such and acts 98% like no lift shift. If slamming through the gears the shifts will be fast enough that it likely doesn’t matter and does help smooth those shifts out…After break in period I’ll be driving with gearshift assist off anyhow so likely doesn’t apply to me anyhow!
      06-04-2024, 12:16 PM   #18
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.33]
Quote:
After break in period I’ll be driving with gearshift assist off anyhow so likely doesn’t apply to me anyhow!
Why? The downshift blip works really well in traffic or when gradually slowing down to make a turn. Like, you're not blipping the throttle when you're slowing to make the right hand turn into the Target parking lot, it's physically impossible because you're not slamming on the brake pedal. Trust me, it's good to have it on. With spirited driving, sure, because it's much easier as you're applying more pressure on the brake pedal.
      06-04-2024, 02:16 PM   #19
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Why? The downshift blip works really well in traffic or when gradually slowing down to make a turn. Like, you're not blipping the throttle when you're slowing to make the right hand turn into the Target parking lot, it's physically impossible because you're not slamming on the brake pedal. Trust me, it's good to have it on. With spirited driving, sure, because it's much easier as you're applying more pressure on the brake pedal.
Oh I like the auto shift but BMW like in the F80 has these pedals set up perfectly for ball of foot on the brake and 5th metatarsal head (ball of little toe) “heel toe” downshifts. That’s how I normally drive having driven manual my entire life before shift assist.

I will try and video what is happening in my car…don’t have any phone mounts, might have an old GoPro mount.
      06-05-2024, 01:24 PM   #20
Charley135
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

i have a 24 and i tried yesterday and it hitted the rev limiter.
so clearly not working
Appreciate 4
      06-05-2024, 06:38 PM   #21
clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [10.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [10.00]
also tested this and could not reproduce a no-lift shift
Appreciate 4
      06-06-2024, 06:50 AM   #22
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Wow. Don’t know what it is about mine but my revs just drop. Break-in service is next week and I will try with full throttle. But normal around town driving it’s doing it. If you have gear shift assist on and are driving and clutch in, the computer holds revs to match transmission speed. I honestly think that’s what I’m experiencing, I’m also not double clutching. Will get a video, just really busy at work at the moment.