bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

07-24-2023, 05:42 PM   #1
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Maintaining Sensatec leather and preventing it from becoming hard/shiny

Wife and I just took delivery of her new X1 with Sensatec leather and I'm looking for opinions on the best way to care for this type of leather. On her old F48 with Sensatec, the front seats became very hard and shiny over time (60k miles), while the rear seats maintained their matte, soft finish mostly due to mild use.

Now I realize that normally, shiny = dirty, but this wasn't the case with the F48. I'm pretty big into detailing and wiped them down religiously. I could never return them to matte like I've been able to do with real leather and the right products.

On previous cars and my current M2, I use Colourlock mild cleaner and leather protector, which looks great, maintains the matte finish, and visibly nourishes the leather without making them greasy. However, I'm not sure that is the best course of action for fake leather and I'm considering coating them with Gyeon Leathershield or similar product, for the simple fact that fake leather doesn't need to "breathe" like real leather does, so I might as well put some added physical protection on them. I think the action of sliding in and out attributed to the problems in our old F48.

What say you on the topic of Sensatec care? Colourlock products or jump to a ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 06:55 PM   #2
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Griot’s 3-in-1 is what I’ve used, and it seems to do a decent job. Others’ opinions may differ.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:42 PM   #3
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

I don’t think coating sensatec is needed or worth it. Obviously won’t hurt, but since you are well versed in detailing your maintenance of the sensatec will be enough.

Was the F48 the first generation or LCI? I had a bad experience with Dakota in my F30. Only BMW I’ve had in 15 years to give me such problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 04:50 AM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
I don’t think coating sensatec is needed or worth it. Obviously won’t hurt, but since you are well versed in detailing your maintenance of the sensatec will be enough.

Was the F48 the first generation or LCI? I had a bad experience with Dakota in my F30. Only BMW I’ve had in 15 years to give me such problems.
It was a first gen. I remember being super impressed by the look and feel of the sensatec, only to be disappointed later.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 08:07 AM   #5
ultrared93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post

On previous cars and my current M2, I use Colourlock mild cleaner and leather protector, which looks great, maintains the matte finish, and visibly nourishes the leather without making them greasy.
Colourlock has: "Protector for Artificial Leather and Plastic - Surface Seal and Protection". I have not used it, as I have leather in our cars, but based on the quality of their other products, it may be worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 06:06 PM   #6
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Everyone will disagree with coating leather on the detailing ...but I would do a test sport. IMO. there is a minute color shift/sheen and -texture-. Comes with territory though....

I don't have a benchmark for fake leather but good leather is -dyed- and the cheaper leather if not pleather is color coated (aka, plastic color coat sprayed ontop)...

I suspect the benchmark on how you compare sheen/shine on good leather vs *color coat* is not a good comparison. I don't know if it's necessarily hard and shiny in what you describe or simply more than the texture of the *plastic color coat* is more worn, so it's smoother....and due to the texture change, you also perceive it as a color change if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 05:02 AM   #7
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just as an update, I went ahead with Carpro Leather 2.0 on all leather surfaces and it turned out great. No color change, leather feels the same. Only difference is the leather is 5-10% more slippery, noticeable when you get in and out and touching the steering wheel. However, if someone didn’t know the coating was there they wouldn’t likely notice. We will see about durability, but so far I’m glad I did it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 12:02 PM   #8
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Sensatec is not leather.
https://www.bmwofsterling.com/bmw-se...e-leather.html
https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/12/23/k...ather-options/

(Weird that they won't let this URL post) Also see leatherh a n d y.com/bmw-sensatec-leather for care and maintenance.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 06:37 AM   #9
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
I use Meguiar’s interior detailer spray. Works great on every surface including my Merino leather. Leaves no residue and not shiny or slippery.

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 0