BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-05-2024, 11:46 AM   #1
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Seasoned BMW owners - what long term reliability things can I expect after warranty?

I bought a '22 last summer, and have put 16k miles on it so far. Bone stock, garage kept, broke in properly for the first 2k miles, and first service right at 10k miles.

I love this car, but I also love the B8.5 Audi RS5, and the time to find a clean one is running out since they stopped making them in 2015. I'm buying one of those, but would also love to keep this.

I know the RS will have some costly maintenance over time, but what can I expect with the BMW? I hate hybrid/electric cars, and would love to keep both cars til they're at a point where only a mechanic would want to own them. I have the +1 ultimate care so that should cover first brake service and keep me clean thru 50k miles. What things are likely to pop up or break as the car ages? I don't plan on tuning it or modding it at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:05 PM   #2
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

$2,000 oil gasket repairs
$1,500 Fuel pump failures
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:17 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
I bought a '22 last summer, and have put 16k miles on it so far. Bone stock, garage kept, broke in properly for the first 2k miles, and first service right at 10k miles.

I love this car, but I also love the B8.5 Audi RS5, and the time to find a clean one is running out since they stopped making them in 2015. I'm buying one of those, but would also love to keep this.

I know the RS will have some costly maintenance over time, but what can I expect with the BMW? I hate hybrid/electric cars, and would love to keep both cars til they're at a point where only a mechanic would want to own them. I have the +1 ultimate care so that should cover first brake service and keep me clean thru 50k miles. What things are likely to pop up or break as the car ages? I don't plan on tuning it or modding it at all.
Depends upon how long you own the car how many miles you drive it, and luck.

As miles accumulate various wear items like water pump, accessory drive idler/tension roller bearings, fuel pump, alternator, O2 sensors, MAP/MAF, wheel bearings can go bad.

Even though as my auto tech buddies advised me -- this years ago -- and I change coolant every 4 years radiators can leak. But with coolant changes I've never had a hose go bad and this includes my 2002 Boxster even after 16 years and 317K miles on it.

All I have done over the years is give my cars factory (or better) servicing and take care of things as soon as they pop up.

So as with my other cars so too for my 230i (and M2) they'll get better than factory called for oil/filter services. Brake fluid flush/bleed every 2 years. Air filters, plugs changed on schedule. Coolant change every 4 years. Transmission/diff fluid services as is my habit sooner than called for by the factory.

And any issues that develop I'll have these addressed ASAP.

The cars will prove to be reasonably/acceptably reliable or if they don't I'll replace them.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 10:13 AM   #4
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Does BMW offer extended warranties ?

Or is 3rd party warranty companies the only option ?

Will 3rd party warranty companies even cover heavily modded vehicles ?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 07:30 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
Does BMW offer extended warranties ?

Or is 3rd party warranty companies the only option ?

Will 3rd party warranty companies even cover heavily modded vehicles ?
I'd offer BMW probably offers extended warranty plans.

A quick search of "BMW extended warranty" (without the quotes) turned up a number of links to various extended warranties. And at least one link to what BMW offers. The link to this is below.

https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-ser...n-program.html

Another link that has some more info:

https://www.motor1.com/products-serv...nded-warranty/

Be aware of the possibility extended warranties generally -- I have not found any exception though -- run concurrent with the factory warranty.

Thus a 7 year extended warranty the first 4 years is concurrent with the 4 year new car warranty. One only gets 3 years of warranty coverage after the new car warranty expires.

My advice for an extended warranty is to speak to the service department/senior techs where you will have the car in for service and any warranty issues and ask which after market warranty they recommend. I say aftermarket but I'd consider a BMW offered extended warranty first.

The techs will have experience dealing with the extended warranty companies. When I looked into an extended warranty for one of my Porsche cars and I discussed this with a couple of senior techs the techs told me the name of an extended warranty company -- the name escapes me -- but said when a covered vehicle was in for a what proved to be a warranty claim the company bombarded the tech with questions about the car's service history, usage, etc. Obviously looking for any reason to deny the warranty claim.

Which brings up another point and that is you need to be quite familiar with the fine print and what is required of you to ensure the coverage remains in effect.

I would hazard a guess mod's are out. And track use, too. But the extended warranty coverage could require more frequent than factory servicing. And possibly annual "inspections". But this should be covered in the warranty contract. You can't rely on the glossy sales brochure for this level of *critical* info.
Appreciate 2
VegasG42591.00
PP3121373.00