home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-06-2024, 09:24 PM   #1
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Has Anyone Removed Their Door Panels ?

Already replaced the center dash speaker and tweeter. Couldn't have been simpler.

Planning on now replacing the door speakers and tweeters now. And I don't want to destroy anything popping off the door panel.

I recall watching a video or some tutorial of a BMW model similar to the G42 removing the door panels.

If I remember correctly, you start with the door handle , and then the door open lever ? And then pop out all the tabs going around the perimeter of the door ?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:06 PM   #2
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

I removed mine. This is the order if I remember correctly.

Pop plastic cover off, located behind the door handle lever. This covers 2 T25-ish (or something like that) bolts.

Unscrew total of 5 screws, two by the door handle lever, one in the lower door pull area (not covered but kind of hidden), and two towards the bottom of the door card.

Use a plastic pry tool to begin popping the fasteners starting from the bottom. Pop enough to make room to get your hands under, then pull the rest by hand. Look out for the door pin (it will fall out of the way on its own) and the electrical connection.

That’s all, pretty easy. Speaker is right there, no need to break the vapor barrier.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42591.00
      01-07-2024, 06:30 PM   #3
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
I removed mine. This is the order if I remember correctly.

Pop plastic cover off, located behind the door handle lever. This covers 2 T25-ish (or something like that) bolts.

Unscrew total of 5 screws, two by the door handle lever, one in the lower door pull area (not covered but kind of hidden), and two towards the bottom of the door card.

Use a plastic pry tool to begin popping the fasteners starting from the bottom. Pop enough to make room to get your hands under, then pull the rest by hand. Look out for the door pin (it will fall out of the way on its own) and the electrical connection.

That’s all, pretty easy. Speaker is right there, no need to break the vapor barrier.
Exactly right. Thank you.

One thing to note, is that replacement speakers that are labeled as "offset fitment" are absolutely needed for the doors.

I learned this the hard way. The center dash speaker is indeed a slightly different size than the door speakers.

And another thing - be gentle when working off the door panel so you don't pop out and damage the door lock that comes out of the top of the door.

BimmerTech G42 Alpha One Speakers Installation Instructions and User Guide-3.pdf
Appreciate 0