E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 doesn't start

05-12-2024, 06:37 AM   #1
sashm57
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 05' 330xd E91

E91 doesn't start

Hello, a few days ago after leaving the car for 3-4 hours it didn’t want to start. I then jump started the car and it fired up fine, then after leaving it again for a couple hours same story. I went ahead and charged the battery, after fully charging it the car started fine, but then after leaving it for some time it doesn’t want to start again all it does is the cluster flashes and there’s electrical clicking

I have changed the starter 3 weeks ago

What I have figured out is when placing a fully charged battery or jump starting the car it will start, but after that trying to start it on its own doesn’t work

Clicking
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 07:40 AM   #2
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

make sure the battery is good, agm or lead dont like complete discharge and charging.

If its all good, Ill guess the ground wire to the engine is broken (common). Check both : exhaust manifold side and the driver side. The driver side is visible from under the car. Passenger side visible from the top.
Appreciate 2
Mike K332.00
      05-12-2024, 07:43 AM   #3
sashm57
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
make sure the battery is good, agm or lead dont like complete discharge and charging.

If its all good, Ill guess the ground wire to the engine is broken (common). Check both : exhaust manifold side and the driver side. The driver side is visible from under the car. Passenger side visible from the top.
Yeah, I wasn’t sure about my battery so I got another one which I am 100% sure is okay, but it only starts the first time then car runs fine I drived it for like 50km then left it home and it was the same thing so I suppose it is not it. I will check the ground wire thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 10:17 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashm57 View Post
... after leaving the car for 3-4 hours it didn’t want to start. I then jump started the car and it fired up fine, then after leaving it again for a couple hours same story. I went ahead and charged the battery, after fully charging it the car started fine, but then after leaving it for some time it doesn’t want to start again all it does is the cluster flashes and there’s electrical clicking. I have changed the starter 3 weeks ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashm57 View Post
Yeah, I wasn’t sure about my battery so I got another one which I am 100% sure is okay, but it only starts the first time then car runs fine I drived it for like 50km then left it home and it was the same thing so I suppose it is not it. I will check the ground wire thank you!
It appears you have either: (1) Parasitic Draw/ Quiescent Current draining battery rapidly (possibly bad Alternator Diode), or, (2) No charge from Alternator with engine running. Rather than $pend money on Starter, Battery, Whatever, spend ~ $10 US on a cheap Multimeter. Then conduct following tests:

A) Charge Battery & Start Engine. Measure System Voltage at Jumpstart Terminals under Hood, with engine running. DC Volts should be in 14V range.

B) Fifteen (15) minutes AFTER engine shutdown, measure voltage at Jumpstart Terminals again, and RECORD value. Measure AGAIN in 3 hours & Record Value.

C) With engine OFF, feel rear of alternator, to see if noticeably WARM (warmer than adjacent engine parts).

Report those results. There are OTHER possible causes of your issue, but those tests are "Starting Point" to identify cause of issue.
George
Appreciate 2
Mike K332.00
      05-12-2024, 10:28 AM   #5
sashm57
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
It appears you have either: (1) Parasitic Draw/ Quiescent Current draining battery rapidly (possibly bad Alternator Diode), or, (2) No charge from Alternator with engine running. Rather than $pend money on Starter, Battery, Whatever, spend ~ $10 US on a cheap Multimeter. Then conduct following tests:

A) Charge Battery & Start Engine. Measure System Voltage at Jumpstart Terminals under Hood, with engine running. DC Volts should be in 14V range.

B) Fifteen (15) minutes AFTER engine shutdown, measure voltage at Jumpstart Terminals again, and RECORD value. Measure AGAIN in 3 hours & Record Value.

C) With engine OFF, feel rear of alternator, to see if noticeably WARM (warmer than adjacent engine parts).

Report those results. There are OTHER possible causes of your issue, but those tests are "Starting Point" to identify cause of issue.
George
Will try it and I will reply back, thank you!
Appreciate 0