BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-28-2024, 03:32 PM   #1
BabyM240i
Cruising the Green Hell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Pebbles sticking in brakes

Anyone else have recurring experiences with pebbles getting stuck in the brakes? Three times now, since picking the car up in December, I’ve had pebbles get stuck between the heat shield and back of the rotor. HOLY SHIT the sound. Loud like people across parking lots stairring at me.

Only once I’ve actually retrieved the pebble by wiggling the shield. The two other times I had to drive it out. Has anyone else experienced this? Can I be sure it is pebbles? I don’t exactly drive down gravel roads so I’m not entirely sure why I’m experiencing this so much with this car. My Hyundai with over 100k miles never had it happen. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2024, 02:51 AM   #2
JoeyJoeJo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

I've had it and the sound is truly awful, there must be some specific resonance in the setup. It didn't shift after a couple of emergency stop hard braking so BMW came out and removed it, techs said it's surprisingly common. Luckily only quarter a mile from home, was literally screaming.

06-29-2024, 07:41 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyM240i View Post
Anyone else have recurring experiences with pebbles getting stuck in the brakes? Three times now, since picking the car up in December, I’ve had pebbles get stuck between the heat shield and back of the rotor. HOLY SHIT the sound. Loud like people across parking lots stairring at me.

Only once I’ve actually retrieved the pebble by wiggling the shield. The two other times I had to drive it out. Has anyone else experienced this? Can I be sure it is pebbles? I don’t exactly drive down gravel roads so I’m not entirely sure why I’m experiencing this so much with this car. My Hyundai with over 100k miles never had it happen. Thoughts?
First encountered this with my Porsche Boxster. Once when driving on a city street littered with twigs -- the result of an ice storm -- managed to get a twig caught between the rotor and splash shield.

Reversing the car and while backing up turning the steering wheel full lock to lock dislodged the twig.

Second time when backing out of a parking space at the office what proved to be a tiny sharp rock dropped off the tire and down in between the rotor and splash shield. Thought the noise the twig made was bad... Oh my this was 10 times worse.

Long story short had to jack up the right front corner of the car remove the wheel and pry the splash shield away from the rotor a bit and the rock fell out.

More recently my 230ix managed to get a something -- probably a small rock/pebble -- caught in the brakes of one front wheel. Fortunately whatever it was fell out a couple of moments later before I felt it necessary to try to dislodge the item.

This appears to arise due to the wide front tires and when turned at close to or at full lock that the inside wheel/tire is canted over with the brake rotor/splash shield exposed to any trash that falls off the tread of the tire.

Haven't bothered to take a pic of either my 230ix or M2 but a pic of my Boxster's front tires turned full lock is attached.

While the brake rotor/splash shield is not visible -- hidden in the shadow -- it is clear it is at risk of any debris that might fall off the tire as it rotates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BabyM240i108.50
      06-29-2024, 09:28 PM   #4
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.10]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Has happened toe as well. 2 or 3 times in the same day at an autocross event. Backing up while wiggling the steering worked in all cases

I wonder if it could be spacer related that the inner edge of the tire is pushed too far out making it easy for stuff to drop in.
Appreciate 1
BabyM240i108.50
      06-30-2024, 12:49 PM   #5
BabyM240i
Cruising the Green Hell
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
Has happened toe as well. 2 or 3 times in the same day at an autocross event. Backing up while wiggling the steering worked in all cases

I wonder if it could be spacer related that the inner edge of the tire is pushed too far out making it easy for stuff to drop in.
I do have more open or exposed, wider wheels… spacers, sticky tires, and dirty streets due to fiber install. Perhaps there is something to your theory!

Crazy, never ever had this happen. Had a GTO, GTO, Jeep, and several other cars. On and off road. And now I seemingly can’t get down my road own street 😂

It’s unbelievably, alarmingly, loud!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 12:51 PM   #6
BabyM240i
Cruising the Green Hell
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
First encountered this with my Porsche Boxster. Once when driving on a city street littered with twigs — the result of an ice storm — managed to get a twig caught between the rotor and splash shield.

Reversing the car and while backing up turning the steering wheel full lock to lock dislodged the twig.

Second time when backing out of a parking space at the office what proved to be a tiny sharp rock dropped off the tire and down in between the rotor and splash shield. Thought the noise the twig made was bad... Oh my this was 10 times worse.

Long story short had to jack up the right front corner of the car remove the wheel and pry the splash shield away from the rotor a bit and the rock fell out.

More recently my 230ix managed to get a something — probably a small rock/pebble — caught in the brakes of one front wheel. Fortunately whatever it was fell out a couple of moments later before I felt it necessary to try to dislodge the item.

This appears to arise due to the wide front tires and when turned at close to or at full lock that the inside wheel/tire is canted over with the brake rotor/splash shield exposed to any trash that falls off the tread of the tire.

Haven't bothered to take a pic of either my 230ix or M2 but a pic of my Boxster's front tires turned full lock is attached.

While the brake rotor/splash shield is not visible — hidden in the shadow — it is clear it is at risk of any debris that might fall off the tire as it rotates.
Is your user name related? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 06:20 PM   #7
Navin_Johnson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post

That's a great point! Others who have had this happen should chime in with if they have any spacers between their wheels and the hub.
Having had many cars, and done many brake jobs, I seem to recall most cars had the top of the dust shield rolled over towards the wheel, sort of adding material to cover the gap between the shield and the back of the rotor. When I had my wheels off the other day, I didn't notice the shape of the shield. If it doesn't roll over at all, it very well could leave a space for pebbles to fall into.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 09:40 AM   #8
lachyn
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix '24 G42

Happened to me last week. I have stock M240i with ZTK. I didn't hear it at first because I had the radio on loud and the windows rolled up, and I wondered why everyone was staring at me. After the song stopped playing, I immediately realized why. I stopped and, as already said, by moving back and forth on the spot and turning the steering wheel, the stone came loose.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 10:41 AM   #9
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin_Johnson View Post
That's a great point! Others who have had this happen should chime in with if they have any spacers between their wheels and the hub.
Having had many cars, and done many brake jobs, I seem to recall most cars had the top of the dust shield rolled over towards the wheel, sort of adding material to cover the gap between the shield and the back of the rotor. When I had my wheels off the other day, I didn't notice the shape of the shield. If it doesn't roll over at all, it very well could leave a space for pebbles to fall into.

Only happened to me once on the M240i. At the time, no spacers (ZKT kit)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 02:29 PM   #10
BabyM240i
Cruising the Green Hell
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
ZTK seems to be common 🤔
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2024, 02:05 PM   #11
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I had it happen once on track (and no, I did not drive into a gravel pit). I have not noticed it happening since. I was able to wiggle the shield and dislodge the stone. I am on 893m (ZTK) wheels, but not the ZTK package for brakes and cooling.

I work with someone who owns a FK8 Civic Type R, he mentioned the CTR likes to lodge rocks between the caliper/shield and rotor. Seems to be a performance car issue. All the various factors coming together, and maybe the large multi-piston brakes play a role.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2024, 12:47 PM   #12
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
You guys are a curse.

A stone stuck in between the heat shield and disc in the front nearside today. Picked up as i pulled out of a parking space.
Took the wheel off to prise it out.
Appreciate 0