home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-03-2024, 05:11 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Thanks for some ppl finally being reasonable and giving me support.

To that guy w the dealer who didn't give him? much fuss, that's great, but is indicative of sneaky dealers in general, they tried to pass it off and only when the client noticed, oops! Ok, we'll fix it. There's no true honor there. Wth, esp w the wiper and bumper and dash scratches? At least they didn't give you much flack or deny liability but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Don't all BMW dealers do the walk around? tranquility, does yours?
They do generally but even though in my case they didn't, the point was moot because it didn't matter to them, as their argument was 'oh, your car's old, so there *must've* been some tear in the emblem's membrane so when we powerwashed it, ofc it's gonna disintegrate like that!". Incredible 'logic' and excuse.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 05:17 PM   #24
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
If they offered to sell you the part at 50% off, then that is probably their cost. So on the part they’re not out anything. On the labor, what, 5 minutes worth? Big generosity there.
Haha, that's what I'm thinking. I can't believe they even thought of that, kinda like it was *their* principle not to let *me* 'get away' w something in their minds. This million dollar dealership or whatever is haggling w me over peanuts instead of owning up and doing the simple right thing. I can't even...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 05:24 PM   #25
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Don't all BMW dealers do the walk around?
The local one here has not done a walk around in either of my two visits. Their service lot is so full most days that they will just hand you a numbered service department mirror tag when you check in and wish you luck in finding a place to park it.....
      08-03-2024, 06:23 PM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Thanks for some ppl finally being reasonable and giving me support.

To that guy w the dealer who didn't give him? much fuss, that's great, but is indicative of sneaky dealers in general, they tried to pass it off and only when the client noticed, oops! Ok, we'll fix it. There's no true honor there. Wth, esp w the wiper and bumper and dash scratches? At least they didn't give you much flack or deny liability but still.

They do generally but even though in my case they didn't, the point was moot because it didn't matter to them, as their argument was 'oh, your car's old, so there *must've* been some tear in the emblem's membrane so when we powerwashed it, ofc it's gonna disintegrate like that!". Incredible 'logic' and excuse.
That would be me. Things happen. I'm pretty tolerant to mistakes as long as they're taken care of. I have a somewhat unique perspective with the automotive repair business. A friend ran his own repair shop and I hung around him at his shop. I got to see all aspects of how things are done in the shop from the service writer side to the activities in the repair bays to the ownership side of things.

Also, I do recognize that some mechanics just don't care. This happens too. I see the same in my industry being IT. This is why I try to do most work on my vehicles myself. What separates dealerships is how they handle problems. And my dealership has shown they take care of things. It also helps to work with a single SA to establish a relationship. Both SAs I work with are car guys. The one that left also owned a 1er. The next one I worked with is also into motorcycles.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2024, 06:25 PM   #27
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The local one here has not done a walk around in either of my two visits. Their service lot is so full most days that they will just hand you a numbered service department mirror tag when you check in and wish you luck in finding a place to park it.....
That sucks. Can you go somewhere else? Probably not close by... if I remember right, you're in a remote area, yes?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 06:37 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
That would be me. Things happen. I'm pretty tolerant to mistakes as long as they're taken care of. I have a somewhat unique perspective with the automotive repair business. A friend ran his own repair shop and I hung around him at his shop. I got to see all aspects of how things are done in the shop from the service writer side to the activities in the repair bays to the ownership side of things.

Also, I do recognize that some mechanics just don't care. This happens too. I see the same in my industry being IT. This is why I try to do most work on my vehicles myself. What separates dealerships is how they handle problems. And my dealership has shown they take care of things. It also helps to work with a single SA to establish a relationship. Both SAs I work with are car guys. The one that left also owned a 1er. The next one I worked with is also into motorcycles.
Yup, I didn't mean to make you incognito, I'm on my phone and sometimes it's hard to edit haha.

For sure, 💯, I'm TOTALLY COOL AND UNDERSTANDING about that, things happen. What I have a prb w is that the first thing they do is deny and then try to talk down the damage we as clients incurred. I've had many years of being a client and to date I have had only *one* SA who I thought was really decent and the way one should be treated. I don't want to be royalty, I just want someone to be decent, it's not a high standard but apparently it is in the service industry. Funny story, as soon as that SA left upon my first return to that place they screwed up majorly and I had to switch to another carshop. Joke.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 07:02 PM   #29
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

One of my mercedes I recently took in to have a headlight restored - the young man walks back into the waiting room and asks me if there is a way to start the car besides turning the ignition over? Confused by his question I went outside and after about 30 mins it was determined that the ignition failed the 1 time someone else turned the ignition. It’s a 2012 with 70k miles on it. I paid the $900 to have it fixed of course because it wasn’t his fault in my eyes.

I kind of see this situation the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2259.50
      08-03-2024, 07:08 PM   #30
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
One of my mercedes I recently took in to have a headlight restored - the young man walks back into the waiting room and asks me if there is a way to start the car besides turning the ignition over? Confused by his question I went outside and after about 30 mins it was determined that the ignition failed the 1 time someone else turned the ignition. It’s a 2012 with 70k miles on it. I paid the $900 to have it fixed of course because it wasn’t his fault in my eyes.

Yea but they didn’t turn the car wash to turbo mode causing the failure of your 14 year old roundel.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 07:39 PM   #31
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:

That's nice of you to let them off the hook and swallow the 900 bucks but I don't see how it makes sense or how it's similar to my situation. Everybody apparently reacts differently and I have my principles on what's reasonable and what's not.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 08:17 PM   #32
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Similar because it’s my car they broke. Which is the logic you’re using. They wash plenty of cars without issue - you’re emblem - for whatever reason was defective - or - on its way out. My cars ignition - was fine - then one day it when someone else tried to start it - it wasn’t - is that their fault it was ready to break? Car parts have life cycles - 50% off and free install sounds like a really nice solution to me.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 08:23 PM   #33
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Can you imagine if you had to borrow a friends car that is 14 years old and the transmission giving it up only for your friend to ask you to pay to have it repaired? I guess maybe only if he makes more money than you since that seems to be in play here.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 09:25 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Similar because it’s my car they broke. Which is the logic you’re using. They wash plenty of cars without issue - you’re emblem - for whatever reason was defective - or - on its way out. My cars ignition - was fine - then one day it when someone else tried to start it - it wasn’t - is that their fault it was ready to break? Car parts have life cycles - 50% off and free install sounds like a really nice solution to me.
Well, I'd havta disagree. Again, it's a big assumption and doesn't sit well w me cuz I powerwash my car all the time. Maybe they got lucky all the times they washed my car but then again they already admitted that it happens when they wash other clients' cars and yet *they still don't have a workaround*, so that ought to tell you something about their level of attention.

Anyway, I'm not debating if my car's old or not but the condition of the badge was fine, regardless of whatever assumptions ppl have. Like I said many, many times already, if there was any pre-existing damage, I would've let it go.

Your ignition issue is A LOT more complicated as many things could've happened but my roundel was very simple to assess liability. However, it's some freaky bad luck if you believe that they were just unlucky when that one time they started your car it went bonkers. Good on you to swallow that 900 but then again it's hard to prove they did something wrong to it, vs my case, they admitted wrecking it but just wanted to blame something else.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2024, 09:27 PM   #35
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That’s some really serious PSI then.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2024, 09:30 PM   #36
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They turned it up to try and make $50.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 09:34 PM   #37
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For sure, I know shops have more powerful eqt than my humble home powerwasher, but jezuz, that doesn't mean they havta leave it at the max setting all the time for all applications.

Anyway, I'm glad this issue was finally resolved and I got my new roundel (which btw looks exactly the same as my old one), so basically I wasted an extra trip there to 'rip off the dealer' as I'm sure some ppl (read: dealer apologists lol) would say haha.
Attached Images

Last edited by tranquility; 08-07-2024 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0