bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

08-06-2024, 10:01 AM   #1
Stick435
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Pontiac G6 GTP

$800 option to install Ceramic tint?

Hey all,

I'm looking at custom ordering a 230ix and as part of the "dealer installed options" they are offering a bundle of 3 services, one of which is tinting the windows with Ceramic tint. Unfortunately when I asked what brand the sales person said he didn't know. I feel $800 would be appropriate if it was NanoCeramic, but not regular Ceramic. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #2
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

First, I had to look up ceramic tint to be sure that's actually a thing, it is. I thought the dealer was just throwing the word "ceramic" around to make something sound better when it isn't.

Second, more often than not, you're paying more for a "dealer installed" extra versus having it done at an independent shop after taking delivery of your car. Furthermore, any anecdotal experience I have with dealer installed items like stone guard and ceramic coating, the end result has always been worse than an experienced independent shop that specializes in the process. Dealers typically will use whoever can install the stone guard, tint, or ceramic as cheap as possible, thus the quality suffers.

I always advocate that someone interested in tint, coatings or stone guard price out independent shops compared to the dealer's option. Even if the price was identical, I would still go with the independent shop since I expect the overall quality will be better.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 10:53 AM   #3
Stick435
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
First, I had to look up ceramic tint to be sure that's actually a thing, it is. I thought the dealer was just throwing the word "ceramic" around to make something sound better when it isn't.

Second, more often than not, you're paying more for a "dealer installed" extra versus having it done at an independent shop after taking delivery of your car. Furthermore, any anecdotal experience I have with dealer installed items like stone guard and ceramic coating, the end result has always been worse than an experienced independent shop that specializes in the process. Dealers typically will use whoever can install the stone guard, tint, or ceramic as cheap as possible, thus the quality suffers.

I always advocate that someone interested in tint, coatings or stone guard price out independent shops compared to the dealer's option. Even if the price was identical, I would still go with the independent shop since I expect the overall quality will be better.
Yeah, I've been out of the car buying game for 17 years, so it was new to me too haha. The other two options they are offering are Door Edge Guards and putting Nitrogen in the tires for $300 and $200. I thought about maybe doing the edge guards since the door edges on my current car are beat and chipped to shit after 17 years.

They also said they offer the official BMW Car Care package (https://www.bmwofkansascitysouth.com...are-system.htm) which for the exterior is some sort of spray protection that you have to have reapplied twice a year, but also covers pretty much any damage to the interior. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the inside without the outside.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 01:01 PM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick435 View Post
The other two options they are offering are Door Edge Guards and putting Nitrogen in the tires for $300 and $200.
$200 for nitrogen in tyres
Do you get a free deluxe *anking machine with that cos they must have see you coming.

Neatly 80% of the air you put in tyres is nitrogen “as standard”. Costco will do that for free.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 01:17 PM   #5
Stick435
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
$200 for nitrogen in tyres
Do you get a free deluxe *anking machine with that cos they must have see you coming.

Neatly 80% of the air you put in tyres is nitrogen “as standard”. Costco will do that for free.
Well it sounds like it comes standard on every car unless you custom order, which I will be doing. I think I might do the door guards though just cause I'm lazy haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 03:10 PM   #6
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick435 View Post
Well it sounds like it comes standard on every car unless you custom order, which I will be doing. I think I might do the door guards though just cause I'm lazy haha.
I will just put out the fact that as a buyer you can argue the added extras that are not mandatory. As far as a consumer is concerned, if the dealer chose to add an extra of their own accord, we as the buyer can refute paying for it. Either they take the charge off the invoice, or they take take $200 off the sale price to offset. I don't care either way. This is besides the fact that $200 is grossly overpriced. A tire shop I regularly order wheels and tires from only charges $13.96 CAD for all 4 tires filled with nitrogen. As noted as well, Costco adds it for free.

I had to argue the nitrogen charge on my wife's car both before ordering, and after when they tried to add it back on. I told them point blank we signed with no nitrogen and no charge. If they added nitrogen, then thanks because it's going to be free for us. They took it off the bill of sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 05:23 PM   #7
kudos
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I think I paid $200 or $300 for ceramic tint. I saw that $800 dealer price when I got shuttled to the finance dept and told him it's stupid.
      08-06-2024, 06:31 PM   #8
Stick435
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
I think I paid $200 or $300 for ceramic tint. I saw that $800 dealer price when I got shuttled to the finance dept and told him it's stupid.
Yeah, that was my thought too after him telling me it was just normal Ceramic and not Nano.
Appreciate 0