BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

05-19-2024, 09:44 PM   #1
jhstjh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2024 GR Corolla

Garage List
Is it just my luck or the windshield is super fragile

I've had my M2 for about 6 month now. 3 months ago the windshield was cracked by a small rock on the highway. The crack was initially small but Safelite failed the repair (grew into larger crack) and I ended up replacing it. It was replaced with OEM windshield, had to wait for a month for the parts.

Yesterday I went out to see a movie, didn't notice anything while driving there but when I came back to my car I noticed a 15-inch long crack from driver side edge of the windshield all the way to the field of my view. The crack grew to 20+ inches and is still growing. I'm afraid if this time I need to wait for another month for replacement part the crack will grow all the way through.

I've been driving around the same area for the past 4 years and it never happened to my previous car, and the M2, only 6 months in and 3000 miles on it I had to replace the windshield twice. I wonder if it's just my luck? Or people are having similar kind of experience?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BroDoze1523.00
      05-19-2024, 09:48 PM   #2
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Yikes. Sucks man!
      05-20-2024, 06:25 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstjh View Post
I've had my M2 for about 6 month now. 3 months ago the windshield was cracked by a small rock on the highway. The crack was initially small but Safelite failed the repair (grew into larger crack) and I ended up replacing it. It was replaced with OEM windshield, had to wait for a month for the parts.

Yesterday I went out to see a movie, didn't notice anything while driving there but when I came back to my car I noticed a 15-inch long crack from driver side edge of the windshield all the way to the field of my view. The crack grew to 20+ inches and is still growing. I'm afraid if this time I need to wait for another month for replacement part the crack will grow all the way through.

I've been driving around the same area for the past 4 years and it never happened to my previous car, and the M2, only 6 months in and 3000 miles on it I had to replace the windshield twice. I wonder if it's just my luck? Or people are having similar kind of experience?
Drove for years with no windshield issues.

Then got a rock chip in my Boxster's windshield. This on I580 in the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area. (I lived in Livermore and commuted 60 miles a day to/from Hayward.)

After a few years chip developed into a crack. Had to have the windshield replaced. (Safelite. Factory glass.)

Not long enough after the new windshield got a tiny chip in it.

Then got a tiny chip in my Turbo's windshield.

Then got a chip in my 2018 MINI JCW's windshield.

That stretch of I580 I drove on was a main artery for big rigs to/from the bay area. And on top of that a number of bay area cities used that stretch of freeway to haul trash to a landfill out in the hills east and north of Livermore.

Given how often I'd hear something hit one of my cars it was a wonder4 I didn't experience more windshield hits.

In August 2020 was living in Benton County AR. No windshield issues until after I bought a 2023 MINI JCW. Bought it mid March 2023 and drove it to Dec. 2023. Put around 7K miles on the car. In that time it got a chip in its windshield. Had Safelite perform a repair of the glass. Don't know how well it held up as I traded the car in. But the chip cost me in trade in value.

Most of my driving here is on surface streets. But the place is growing and there is a lot of construction and earth moving going on. So the roads have a good number of dump trucks on them. While I'm careful to not follow too close -- staying back "300 feet" is impossible though -- the odds are against my cars' windshields.

Thankfully though so far both my 230xi and my M2 windshields have managed to avoid any chips.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 07:11 AM   #4
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sounds like a good reason for windshield PPF.
      05-20-2024, 01:54 PM   #5
jhstjh
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Drove for years with no windshield issues.

Then got a rock chip in my Boxster's windshield. This on I580 in the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area. (I lived in Livermore and commuted 60 miles a day to/from Hayward.)

After a few years chip developed into a crack. Had to have the windshield replaced. (Safelite. Factory glass.)

Not long enough after the new windshield got a tiny chip in it.

Then got a tiny chip in my Turbo's windshield.

Then got a chip in my 2018 MINI JCW's windshield.

That stretch of I580 I drove on was a main artery for big rigs to/from the bay area. And on top of that a number of bay area cities used that stretch of freeway to haul trash to a landfill out in the hills east and north of Livermore.

Given how often I'd hear something hit one of my cars it was a wonder4 I didn't experience more windshield hits.

In August 2020 was living in Benton County AR. No windshield issues until after I bought a 2023 MINI JCW. Bought it mid March 2023 and drove it to Dec. 2023. Put around 7K miles on the car. In that time it got a chip in its windshield. Had Safelite perform a repair of the glass. Don't know how well it held up as I traded the car in. But the chip cost me in trade in value.

Most of my driving here is on surface streets. But the place is growing and there is a lot of construction and earth moving going on. So the roads have a good number of dump trucks on them. While I'm careful to not follow too close -- staying back "300 feet" is impossible though -- the odds are against my cars' windshields.

Thankfully though so far both my 230xi and my M2 windshields have managed to avoid any chips.
I have to take I-880 whenever I need to head out. It is the worst around bay area lots of trucks and crappy road. The first crack was on I-880 and the second time, despite I don't know where it happened, I drove on I-880 that day. I probably should just take the local when possible...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 01:57 PM   #6
jhstjh
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Sounds like a good reason for windshield PPF.
From what I heard it affects the clarity of the windshield. It was recommended to me by the shop when I did the PPF but I declined. Wonder if anyone has had experience with windshield PPF.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:57 PM   #7
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I need more info on it too. ^^

Lack of clarity would drive me nuts...

I keep asking my PPF shop if I can see a demo of it on a customer car or something.
      05-26-2024, 09:29 AM   #8
TorontoRedCoastie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW G87 M2

I was just having my 2024 windows tinted yesterday by a pretty reputable installer here in the Seattle region. They were doing the rear window, found some issue areas, and went to re-do it again only to find out there are some fairly noticeable impurities/contaminants in the glass that with the tint, can be noticed, and appear to stem from manufacturing.

A little disappointing to hear but new plant in Mexico might not be using a high quality glass or something.

Purely anecdotal but figured could be somewhat related.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 02:04 AM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoRedCoastie View Post
I was just having my 2024 windows tinted yesterday by a pretty reputable installer here in the Seattle region. They were doing the rear window, found some issue areas, and went to re-do it again only to find out there are some fairly noticeable impurities/contaminants in the glass that with the tint, can be noticed, and appear to stem from manufacturing.

A little disappointing to hear but new plant in Mexico might not be using a high quality glass or something.

Purely anecdotal but figured could be somewhat related.
Assuming the glass is from AGC Automotive (as it is for my car), Mitsubishi is the parent company of AGC, that manufacturers the glass for BMW. Just another global supply chain that is country independent and probably used in many BMW factories.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2024, 04:41 AM   #10
DutchBoysRacing
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2013 Mini GP

I have two cracks on my windshield from track use already. It's a bit surprising as I've had my E92 M3 and Mini GP on track and sometimes get pebbles kicked up, but this time it seems any rock that finds my windshield is going to crack it.

I got one crack my two track days ago, and this last one a dude dropped a wheel and then I got another solid crack.
      06-09-2024, 07:53 AM   #11
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sounds like windshield PPF might make sense for track rat cars.
      06-09-2024, 08:18 AM   #12
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I think the rake of BMW windshields is just inherently more prone to cracking.

My M2 is my 9th car. Before this I had a G42 and before that I had an F30.

I had never broken a windshield on any car until the F30. Right before I sold it I took it for a drive and a pick up truck in oncoming traffic on a single lane road threw a rock up that cracked the windshield almost in half instantly.

The G42 had to have two windshields replaced in the 11 months I owned it. First was from a rock that flew off a front loader being towed on a trailer by a dump truck. I was attempting to pass in the left most lane of a 3 lane highway while the dump truck was on the right most lane. The second was because the first was installed completely incorrectly.

The G87 has had one windshield and it hasn't even been a year. This one was broken by a detailer when cleaning my dashboard.

All I can say is I'm glad I have glass coverage, because these 2-seried windshields are like $2k a clip.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2024, 08:23 AM   #13
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
All I can say is I'm glad I have glass coverage, because these 2-seried windshields are like $2k a clip.
Dayum!
      08-07-2024, 04:10 PM   #14
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

OP-- did you ever get a resolution on this? I started another thread on windshield replacement to get some more info as I had a rock hit my car this am and later in the day a foot long crack formed. Looking to see how people go about getting to the right replacement company and what to expect.
      08-08-2024, 11:36 PM   #15
jhstjh
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
OP-- did you ever get a resolution on this? I started another thread on windshield replacement to get some more info as I had a rock hit my car this am and later in the day a foot long crack formed. Looking to see how people go about getting to the right replacement company and what to expect.
Both time I went with my insurance (geico). Had to pay my comprehensive deductible.

The first time I replaced it with Safelite. Second time with Caliber. Both time OEM windshield. Both waited around a month for parts. Safelite is cheaper (billed ~1200 vs ~1400 parts/labor/calibration/etc).

I found Safelite didn't correctly install the moulding while Caliber left small damage on the hood PPF But the windshield is good so that's that.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2528.00
      08-09-2024, 08:14 AM   #16
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Well, I spoke too soon. Sometime after my post my 2024 230ix got a rock chip in the windshield. Down low. Just left of center over to the driver's side.

Had Safelite do a structural repair. $180.

Won't know how well this will hold up because just last Friday I sold the car to the local BMW dealer. (Decided to make do with just one car: My M2.)

The dealer employee who was appraising the car spotted the windshield damage: It was not as strikingly visible as it was before the repair but it was visible. Saw him take a picture of the area.

Don't know if the windshield chip affected the offer. He didn't say anything -- unlike when I traded in my 2023 JCW last Dec. when I bought the 2024 230ix -- to him and on the offer there was no mention of the chip.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2528.00
      08-09-2024, 09:49 AM   #17
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Well, I spoke too soon. Sometime after my post my 2024 230ix got a rock chip in the windshield. Down low. Just left of center over to the driver's side.

Had Safelite do a structural repair. $180.

Won't know how well this will hold up because just last Friday I sold the car to the local BMW dealer. (Decided to make do with just one car: My M2.)

The dealer employee who was appraising the car spotted the windshield damage: It was not as strikingly visible as it was before the repair but it was visible. Saw him take a picture of the area.

Don't know if the windshield chip affected the offer. He didn't say anything -- unlike when I traded in my 2023 JCW last Dec. when I bought the 2024 230ix -- to him and on the offer there was no mention of the chip.
Darn rocks. I can't help but notice the irony though as your forum name is Rockcrusher.

We sold our 4 runner a couple years ago with a big rock chip in it. The buyer didn't care at all and did not affect the price.
      08-09-2024, 09:51 AM   #18
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstjh View Post
Both time I went with my insurance (geico). Had to pay my comprehensive deductible.

The first time I replaced it with Safelite. Second time with Caliber. Both time OEM windshield. Both waited around a month for parts. Safelite is cheaper (billed ~1200 vs ~1400 parts/labor/calibration/etc).

I found Safelite didn't correctly install the moulding while Caliber left small damage on the hood PPF But the windshield is good so that's that.
I talked to my insurance guy and confirmed I have full glass coverage so I'm going to take it through the BMW dealer's glass provider network. I'm really hoping there isn't a long delay in parts. The crack is slowly getting bigger day by day.
      08-12-2024, 03:04 PM   #19
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

10k mi on my M2 with no rock chips or cracks. It's been hit several times on the highway at high speeds where I thought for sure there would be a crack.

I've used the Rain-X windshield repair kit ($11 on Amazon) on several previous vehicles when I've had a chip or crack. It worked very well & there is plenty in the kit to repair multiple cracks/chips. Much better than $180 from Safelite.
Appreciate 0