BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-12-2024, 04:29 AM   #45
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
How can people be respectful when they don’t even respect themselves? Take a look at how a lot of people display themselves on social media these days. A good bit expose everything in one form or another.

In 2016, I went to Japan for the first time and that was the first time I was truly disappointed in how Americans handle respect. You don’t talk on your phone in the trains. People respect the rules. Here in America, who’s going to tell me I can’t talk on my phone. I mean look at the amount of people who walk around talking on speakerphone or play videos/games out loud. I remember being on the train to Osaka. A lady sits next to me with her young daughter on her lap. She asks me if it’s ok if her daughter has a snack because she didn’t want to disturb me. I was shocked. In a lot of areas in Japan trash cans aren’t prevalent (at least not like here). Very clean. People don’t throw stuff on the ground because a trash can isn’t near.

I think entitlement has really blown respect out the door.
I agree that sense of entitlement is definitely prevalent in many people. I see so many people consistently willing to cry "foul" but have no issues "fowling" others, either purposely or obliviously.
I've been stationed in Japan and Germany. You're right about highlighting the lack of common courtesy or respect for others found in cities across the US when compared to other countries, even in countries less developed than the aforementioned ones.
I've also been to a few states/cities tha thave somewhat of a more "welcoming" atmosphere, so it's not the entire US culture that is guilty of lacking respect.
Unfortunately, the lack of respect you mentioned extends to many peoples' driving habits, as well, lol.
Im back in NY this past weekend after being out of town on business for a few weeks and I got spoiled when I was out in the med west....
I did NOT have a pleasant driving experience when going back and forth between Brooklyn and Queens
🤬😱😡🤯🤢🫤🤮
tcphoto3967.00
Kaizer84108.50
hubbahubba10831.50
rebekahb3178.00
      08-12-2024, 09:09 AM   #46
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Quote:
How can people be respectful when they don’t even respect themselves? Take a look at how a lot of people display themselves on social media these days. A good bit expose everything in one form or another.

In 2016, I went to Japan for the first time and that was the first time I was truly disappointed in how Americans handle respect. You don’t talk on your phone in the trains. People respect the rules. Here in America, who’s going to tell me I can’t talk on my phone. I mean look at the amount of people who walk around talking on speakerphone or play videos/games out loud. I remember being on the train to Osaka. A lady sits next to me with her young daughter on her lap. She asks me if it’s ok if her daughter has a snack because she didn’t want to disturb me. I was shocked. In a lot of areas in Japan trash cans aren’t prevalent (at least not like here). Very clean. People don’t throw stuff on the ground because a trash can isn’t near.

I spent seven months in Tokyo and Osaka back in '90 and it was an amazing experience. My father was in the camera industry and we hosted employees from Japan when I was young, I was taught to be respectful of others and different cultures. I found Japan to be very interesting, it's quite a clash of East and West but they respect others and nature. I saw very little litter, those pamphlets for clubs and 1-900 lines (yes, I'm that old) were concentrated in the club districts.

These days, parents simply hand their child an iPad and leave them alone. Perhaps the downfall started with participation trophies, we have a generation of prices without putting forth an effort.
Attached Images

hubbahubba10831.50
rebekahb3178.00
      08-12-2024, 03:50 PM   #47
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

I'm not sure Japan is a great example here Japan is one of the most socially repressed countries in the Western world. They are a society hell-bent on pleasing others and what others may think of you/perception, showing minimal emotion, repressing all social and sexual desires, avoiding any sort of conflict, and one hell of a heavy focus on "honor" and conformity. All of this is much of the reason why they have an extremely high suicide rate.
      08-12-2024, 04:16 PM   #48
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer84 View Post
I hear what you’re saying but I respectfully disagree. I am not 50+ like yourself. I am 35 years old and I’ve been courteous and had good manners, values, and principles instilled in me from a young age. To echo what Lady Jane said, the morality and values are lacking in this country. We all know it whether we want to admit it or not.

In regards to “professionalism”, it develops from having basic decency as a person and cultivating that into learning social cues and how to conduct oneself in the work place and a professional environment. If you are a teen working your first job, you should have that basic foundation from home and go out and know how to be respectful of others, greet people accordingly and know how to not be flat out rude. It’s not acceptable and I don’t think excuses should be made.

By your 20’s I don’t think it is too high of an expectation for ppl to understand how to conduct themself in the workplace whether it’s at Target/Walmart or at the airport, to reference the places the OP mentioned.

Setting low expectations such as you mentioned when you said you can’t expect a 15-25 y/o to act overly professional is part of the issue I believe. Why must we set the bar so low for ourselves and our young people?
Like I've said earlier, I've been all over this country and manage professionals in their mid 20s to mid 30s. I don't see see much difference between the way teens and 20 somethings conduct their job duties at Target, grocery store, fast food, etc. at present day compared to the 1990s. I don't expect someone to be gushing and overly professional doing that type of work is a tall order. They're young, a bit socially awkward, etc. and they aren't being paid a whole lot. The jobs are often boring as F too. Sometimes you get someone really professional and then sometimes you get someone a bit rude or cold. Most of the time, it's just average and meets expectations.

I worked many service jobs between 14 and 22 back in late 1980s to later 1990s. I was not treated very well at most of them and I was a really good kid. Same crap happens these days with many service jobs. We all know places where the service staff as a whole are rockstars and that's not a coincidence. It's how managment treats their employees. My 19 y/o son works part-time for a local grocery chain. He is paid fairly well (~$13/hr) and he could make a bit more elsewhere, but the management treats him and everyone nice. They give him various little perks, occasional gift cards, provide free lunches occasionally to thank their employees, etc. The only real turnover they have is from students going back to school or graduating and starting a professional career. Point being, sometimes it's management that is the root of the issue when it comes to service quality.

Regarding my management of professionals, these young folks coming in are no socially different/awkward/professional than what we were like back when I started in 1998. Some employees kick serious ass and some just don't work out because of various reasons. Nothing has really changed with respect to that. What has changed with the younger generations entering the professional environment is that they don't want to slave away at a job and have no real life outside of it. They've seen how it's affected the Baby Boomers, the Gen Xers, and families as a whole. They want real work-life balance and as a Gen Xer that worked way too hard from the mid 2000s to around 2021, I respect that and see nothing "lazy" about that. I took a 20% pay cut to reduce my "fulltime" hours from 55-60 hours to a mere 32 hours (can't work a minute more) and I'm so much happier. I don't fault the younger professionals in being pretty rigid with work time and work hours. It's a slippery slope with corporations. They'll take every piece of you that you give it and then want more.

Last edited by XutvJet; 08-12-2024 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2024, 06:28 AM   #49
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

^truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
DrVenture887.50
      08-13-2024, 01:47 PM   #50
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Name:  1723560980262.png
Views: 54
Size:  910.5 KB

cmyx6go16580.00
      08-13-2024, 02:42 PM   #51
Gemini562
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If speaking kindly to plants helps them grow, imagine what sweet-talking my bank account could do!
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go16580.00
vreihen1619086.50