home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

08-18-2024, 06:11 PM   #1
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Okay so super experienced 6MT driver, yet stuff still happens, right…?

Decided to let her loose today after driving around with my CDV delete and BMS clutch stop as normal. Some dudes in a tuned 340i F chassis pulled up beside me so I decided to give them the gapplesauce…from a dig.

Welp….after obliterating them, instead of slowing down I kept going. Probably shouldn’t. I got to the top of 3rd about 96mph and slammed into 4th. Well I guess rookie mistakes still happen and I did not properly disengage my clutch during a speed shift and completely grinded and locked up.

Rear wheels seized and luckily I kept my car straight. Was about a 1-2 second happening however I did ANOTHER rookie mistake and tried to get back into 3rd whilst still at the top of the power band. Auto rev match put me at the top RPM making me think I hit a money shift not thinking straight while this is all happening.

Thankfully I just threw her in N and took a breath. I ended up realizing I did not money shift (as I could not possibly money shift going from 3rd to 4th and back down to 3rd at the same speed) but hit the rev limiter on my way into 3rd instead around 7000-7200rpm. Jeez.

I did however really grind my gear in that severe lockup. No real way to check her out other than take the trans apart, but no over heating or weirdness after that incident.

I decided to rip her around hard as I could DSC off hitting my rev limiter and sliding around to see if anything was wrong with my engine and or 4th/3rd gear. All is well, but still super embarrassing.

Car drives perfectly fine. Suprised at how bulletproof these transmissions and engines are. I for sure would have broke off a gear in an older car.

Moral of the story- we are all rookies at some point of the day, even MT veterans like myself and many others in this forum.

Enjoy and don’t be like me today LOL.

“For sale- G87 never driven hard, garaged 98% of the time”

Kidding…
Appreciate 4
      08-18-2024, 08:48 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Are you going to change the MTF and check for glitter?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 10:11 PM   #3
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Are you going to change the MTF and check for glitter?
Was thinking about it. Is it a good idea you think? I feel like there will be glitter anyways in general.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 10:50 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Was thinking about it. Is it a good idea you think? I feel like there will be glitter anyways in general.
I would get it done and also talk to the mechanic, see if they think there’s anything to be concerned over for peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
Geighty72330.00
      08-18-2024, 10:57 PM   #5
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I would get it done and also talk to the mechanic, see if they think there’s anything to be concerned over for peace of mind.
Likely will call my shop tomorrow and see what they say can be done for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 06:18 AM   #6
DrewNewM2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Grey G87 Manual

Moral of the story is don’t street race, especially if prone to multiple rookie mistakes�� I actually didn’t know you could lock the wheels up on an UP shift. I remember having old manuals that would lock up wheels on the downshift though.

I would guess that there’s no real damage.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2024, 06:54 AM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
From what you wrote I don't think any "grinding" took place. Think you got into a lower gear and when you released the clutch the amount of engine braking caused the rear tires to momentarily lock up.

If there was any transmission damage I think you'd know it by now by how the transmission behaves.

You can of course have the fluid changed if you want.

But there will almost certainly be glitter/metal in the transmission fluid. May not be that much but if you let hot fluid sit for a while in a previously clean drain pan you will likely find some debris (fine debris) on the bottom of the pan. But this is normal.
Appreciate 1
Geighty72330.00
      08-19-2024, 09:55 AM   #8
robopp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
From what you wrote I don't think any "grinding" took place. Think you got into a lower gear and when you released the clutch the amount of engine braking caused the rear tires to momentarily lock up.

If there was any transmission damage I think you'd know it by now by how the transmission behaves.

You can of course have the fluid changed if you want.

But there will almost certainly be glitter/metal in the transmission fluid. May not be that much but if you let hot fluid sit for a while in a previously clean drain pan you will likely find some debris (fine debris) on the bottom of the pan. But this is normal.
That would be a money shift. I can’t think of a condition going from 3 to 4 where you did/didn’t fully engage 4th gear that would cause the tires to lock up. Going from 3 to 2 would definitely do that though!

Also, I’m surprised you pulled on a tuned B58 from a dig.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 10:08 AM   #9
daddyjaxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

GA (Grinding Anonymous) Meeting

Me: Hi, I'm Jackson.
Group: *Hi Jackson*
Me: ...and I grinded a gear

I decided to do a pull from a dig a couple of months ago. Spun through first, then threw it into second before I fully disengaged the clutch. It was a quiet drive home...

For a month, downshifting into second did not feel good at all (I Felt like it was binding up and didn't want to fully go into gear). I was sick to my stomach that I toasted second gear's synchronizer or the gear itself.

The good news is that it somehow fixed itself. I do not know why or how it has fixed itself, but second gear does not bind up anymore. I didn't just wake up one day and it was fixed; it gradually improved since the incident.

When the transmission fluid heats up after a longer drive, downshifting into second at higher RPMs occasionally causes a small bind. This is why I think I damaged the synchronizer rather than the gear itself.

The moral of the story is that "botching a gear change" truly humbles a man.
Appreciate 0