BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

08-07-2024, 04:08 PM   #1
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Recommended windshield replacement companies

I had an unfortunate incident this am when a landscape truck flew past me and a rock kicked up (or bounced out of the pickup) and hit the top of my windshield. Initially there wasn't a crack but when I went back to my car later today there was this foot long crack that formed.

What companies do people trust for replacement and anything I should be thinking about to ensure my car is in good hands? I did have tint applied to my windshield so I am going to see if insurance covers the redo of that as well.

Thank you for any insights
Attached Images

08-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #2
BradMX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I had an unfortunate incident this am when a landscape truck flew past me and a rock kicked up (or bounced out of the pickup) and hit the top of my windshield. Initially there wasn't a crack but when I went back to my car later today there was this foot long crack that formed.

What companies do people trust for replacement and anything I should be thinking about to ensure my car is in good hands? I did have tint applied to my windshield so I am going to see if insurance covers the redo of that as well.

Just search around for shops that offer free tint with insurance replaced windshields, then read reviews for those shops.

That's what I've always done and haven't had any complaints.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2527.00
      08-09-2024, 09:52 AM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMX5 View Post
Just search around for shops that offer free tint with insurance replaced windshields, then read reviews for those shops.

That's what I've always done and haven't had any complaints.
I like this idea. I've honed in on a glass provider that my BMW dealer uses so I need to see if they do the tinting.
BradMX5330.00
      08-11-2024, 10:05 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post

Needed a new windshield in my Boxster. Rock chip grew into a windshield wide crack right at eye level. (See pic.)

Talked to various Porsche dealers. What I found out is none of them actually replaced the windshield, most farmed this out to Safelite. (This was the case not only with Porsche dealers but other dealers: M-B, Lexus, BMW, etc.; in my area.

From one or two more cooperative dealers I found out which Safelite office was used. I contacted that Safelite office and arranged for the guy who was used by the dealers to replace the windshield. I specified *factory* glass be used and paid the premium for this. (Oh, replacement was out of pocket. Insurance refused to help as it insisted on aftermarket glass.)

Added: As an aside, the windshield of the Boxster served to stiffen the car and was a "stressed" piece of glass. Thus I wanted factory glass which was designed with this in mind.

The Safelite guy arrived at the car. Oh, I arranged to have the glass replaced at my place of work, in Hayward CA same city in which the Safelite office was located.

We talked a bit and he showed me the replacement windshield and we confirmed it was *identical* to the glass in the car.

Left him to do his job.

Occasionally I walked to a window that over looked where he was working. Every time I saw him it looked like he was on his phone. But it didn't appear to affect his work.

In about 2 hours he had the old glass out and new seal/adhesive strip in place and then the windshield in place. The radio antenna leads connected.

He advised me for 24 hours to avoid any driving which could flex the glass. I may have been advised to not wash the car for 24 hours, too. But I had washed the car the morning of the appointment.

The replacement windshield proved to be just fine. No issues. Had the glass replaced in late February/early March of 2007 and I continued to drive the car until January of 2018.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2527.00
      08-11-2024, 07:06 PM   #5
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Needed a new windshield in my Boxster. Rock chip grew into a windshield wide crack right at eye level. (See pic.)

Talked to various Porsche dealers. What I found out is none of them actually replaced the windshield, most farmed this out to Safelite. (This was the case not only with Porsche dealers but other dealers: M-B, Lexus, BMW, etc.; in my area.

From one or two more cooperative dealers I found out which Safelite office was used. I contacted that Safelite office and arranged for the guy who was used by the dealers to replace the windshield. I specified *factory* glass be used and paid the premium for this. (Oh, replacement was out of pocket. Insurance refused to help as it insisted on aftermarket glass.)

Added: As an aside, the windshield of the Boxster served to stiffen the car and was a "stressed" piece of glass. Thus I wanted factory glass which was designed with this in mind.

The Safelite guy arrived at the car. Oh, I arranged to have the glass replaced at my place of work, in Hayward CA same city in which the Safelite office was located.

We talked a bit and he showed me the replacement windshield and we confirmed it was *identical* to the glass in the car.

Left him to do his job.

Occasionally I walked to a window that over looked where he was working. Every time I saw him it looked like he was on his phone. But it didn't appear to affect his work.

In about 2 hours he had the old glass out and new seal/adhesive strip in place and then the windshield in place. The radio antenna leads connected.

He advised me for 24 hours to avoid any driving which could flex the glass. I may have been advised to not wash the car for 24 hours, too. But I had washed the car the morning of the appointment.

The replacement windshield proved to be just fine. No issues. Had the glass replaced in late February/early March of 2007 and I continued to drive the car until January of 2018.
Good info to know but crazy how much customers have to advocate to get their car done the right way. I will only have a direct OEM replacement installed in my car, regardless of how long it takes and the cost.

The BMW dealer I purchased my car through uses a company here in Minneapolis named Walser Collision and Glass for all their glass repair and replacement. They have a couple locations and have good reviews. I'm going to talk to them this week and ask about their process and how long to get the work done.
      08-15-2024, 11:40 AM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Update: I am going with the preferred glass provider that my BMW dealer uses. The windshield came in today (direct from BMW) and they are coming to my house to install tomorrow. Very pleased that the part was quickly available.
BradMX5330.00
      08-16-2024, 12:55 AM   #7
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Can they calibrate it at your house?
      08-16-2024, 07:21 AM   #8
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Yes they said they can cover the complete install and calibration. I will be home keeping a close eye on things and asking all the questions to make sure all is good.
      08-16-2024, 07:37 AM   #9
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:

That would be my concern. I had to replace the glass in my B9 S5 and the company came to my friend's shop to do the work, claimed he knew how to and could recalibrate...well, he tried to reuse an adhesive sticker that must be replaced (not reusable) and did not have the ability to recalibrate (blamed it on a new version , the B9 platform).
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2527.00
      08-16-2024, 01:28 PM   #10
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well just kidding. The tech could not get his tablet to connect to the car using his Bluetooth OBD port dongle thing. Luckily he was trying to connect prior to putting the new glass in. Not a big deal as they are 2 blocks away from my BMW dealer and will meet me at the dealer to get it sorted out. The dude was nice and was geeking out about the car so that was the best part of the experience.
      08-20-2024, 04:24 PM   #11
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

I met the glass people at the dealership and got the replacement all squared away. The glass looks good (though I lost my tint) but the inside and out are all smudged and streaky. I also see small scratches in my clear on the a pillars and on the roof right next to the windshield. I'm going to call the place tomorrow and ask about that. They also do auto body and detailing so I may ask they clean it up.

There must have been a tech update with my iDrive as now my hill assist isn't working the same way. Previously my car would not roll back or forward on a hill with my clutch in and after releasing the brake. Now after releasing the brake it holds for maybe a second and then starts rolling. It did not behave this way before. There is another thread on this exact issue so will read up there.