bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-12-2024, 12:45 AM   #1
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Xhp reviews?

Hey all,

I recently had my dme unlocked by none other than femto and went with a mhd stage 2 ots tune. So far I love it. Much better than the racechip setup I had. I was thinking about goin with the xhp transmission tune next but I need to know more reviews on it with the g42. I feel like the transmission in sport plus is already decent and idk how much better it is from a cost to value point of view. Any opinions from fellow g42 owners?

I know theres a variety of options like limiting torque by gear and what not which adds to value but lets say I just want better numbers and more consistency. How much better is it than stock trans tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 05:17 AM   #2
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Yes yes yes to xHP. It makes a HUGE difference and since you are tuned you will definitely want to flash your transmission to properly handle the extra torque.

Here is what you want to do:

Buy xHP but don’t use their maps
Buy a sutphin tuning custom map for $250. https://sutphintuning.com/store/G42-...ing-p629459159
Flash the custom map with xHP

XHP is required to flash the trans

The sutphin tuning custom map is night and day difference from the included xHP maps. So much smoother, faster, just better all around. Definitely worth the $250.

If you have any questions just let me know. I’ve been running xHP for close to 2 years now and a sutphin custom tune since the day he released them for the g42 in February 2024.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-12-2024, 07:53 AM   #3
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Yes yes yes to xHP. It makes a HUGE difference and since you are tuned you will definitely want to flash your transmission to properly handle the extra torque.

Here is what you want to do:

Buy xHP but don’t use their maps
Buy a sutphin tuning custom map for $250. https://sutphintuning.com/store/G42-...ing-p629459159
Flash the custom map with xHP

XHP is required to flash the trans

The sutphin tuning custom map is night and day difference from the included xHP maps. So much smoother, faster, just better all around. Definitely worth the $250.

If you have any questions just let me know. I’ve been running xHP for close to 2 years now and a sutphin custom tune since the day he released them for the g42 in February 2024.
Okay so first question

Does xhp give me more torque? Or protect my trans from shifting dumb since I am tuned now. I am a bit lost on that.

Also... if I get that sutphin custom tune do I also get to customize throttle blips and all that jazz? And do the options like ignition cut ruin times like 0-60 60-130?
Sorry for unloading but I get mixed answers from google
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 10:22 AM   #4
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopG42 View Post
Okay so first question

Does xhp give me more torque? Or protect my trans from shifting dumb since I am tuned now. I am a bit lost on that.

Also... if I get that sutphin custom tune do I also get to customize throttle blips and all that jazz? And do the options like ignition cut ruin times like 0-60 60-130?
Sorry for unloading but I get mixed answers from google
With a DME tune you are pushing a ton more torque than stock. The stock tuning for the transmission has all sorts of torque limits set so yes you are not getting for torque from your tune. Also the stock trans tuning will slip clutches more since it sees torque hitting these limits.

XHP raises those torque limits very high, so that you don’t encounter them. Also if you stick with their maps provides all sorts of crazy customization.

XHP while providing much quicker shifts, etc also has settings that can harm your transmission if you aren’t careful. One being drag mode. Never use that.

A tune from sutphin has all sorts of optimizations in his custom maps. Think of it as his expertise of tuning all of the parameters that xHP allows and then some. He isn’t just tweaking what is available to us end users but going way beyond that with tuning tools we don’t have access to.

While the OTS maps from xHP are decent, some shifts can be a bit jarring and not very smooth. Until you get a tune from sutphin it’s then you realize the big improvements that can be made over the xHP OTS maps.

Sutphin tells you certain xHP custom properties to never change as it can negatively affect the custom tune. For example do not touch torque reduction upshifts, but you can mess around with changing shift blips. He really has perfected all of the settings within his tune. So I don’t bother adjusting anything as I don’t find it necessary. It’s insane how fast the shifts are on his tune.

Lots of the fastest b58s out there are using him and cutting tenths off their 1/4 miles.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-12-2024, 10:52 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I tried it on my G82 for a week and removed it; the shifts were too much for me. since my car is a daily driver and not a track car, i decided to go back to stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-12-2024, 10:56 AM   #6
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
With a DME tune you are pushing a ton more torque than stock. The stock tuning for the transmission has all sorts of torque limits set so yes you are not getting for torque from your tune. Also the stock trans tuning will slip clutches more since it sees torque hitting these limits.

XHP raises those torque limits very high, so that you don’t encounter them. Also if you stick with their maps provides all sorts of crazy customization.

XHP while providing much quicker shifts, etc also has settings that can harm your transmission if you aren’t careful. One being drag mode. Never use that.

A tune from sutphin has all sorts of optimizations in his custom maps. Think of it as his expertise of tuning all of the parameters that xHP allows and then some. He isn’t just tweaking what is available to us end users but going way beyond that with tuning tools we don’t have access to.

While the OTS maps from xHP are decent, some shifts can be a bit jarring and not very smooth. Until you get a tune from sutphin it’s then you realize the big improvements that can be made over the xHP OTS maps.

Sutphin tells you certain xHP custom properties to never change as it can negatively affect the custom tune. For example do not touch torque reduction upshifts, but you can mess around with changing shift blips. He really has perfected all of the settings within his tune. So I don’t bother adjusting anything as I don’t find it necessary. It’s insane how fast the shifts are on his tune.

Lots of the fastest b58s out there are using him and cutting tenths off their 1/4 miles.
Okay okay that sounds very enticingg!
I think I would also just let the sutphin custom tune do its thing then as long as it doesnt stress the transmission. I heard the stage 3 ots is super jerky.
Another question I have is regarding the tuning options on the sutphin site, race mode both sport and m

What exactly is that referring to? Sport and sport plus since its just m240 and we dont have m modes?

Also where can I buy the xhp license without being forced to buy the ots maps
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 11:00 AM   #7
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I tried it on my G82 for a week and removed it; the shifts were too much for me. since my car is a daily driver and not a track car, i decided to go back to stock
I see. It's hard for me to imagine beefing up a g82 transmission but I think the stock g42 trans is snappy in sport plus but I do notice in regular sport mode and especially in comfort there is hesitation sometimes from 2nd to 3rd (auto mode). When paddle shifting I highly doubt I would notice a difference because it's infinitely better than my camaro paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 01:30 PM   #8
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay okay that sounds very enticingg!
I think I would also just let the sutphin custom tune do its thing then as long as it doesnt stress the transmission. I heard the stage 3 ots is super jerky.
Another question I have is regarding the tuning options on the sutphin site, race mode both sport and m

What exactly is that referring to? Sport and sport plus since its just m240 and we dont have m modes?

Also where can I buy the xhp license without being forced to buy the ots maps
Race mode for the sutphin tune is just a “super mode” when WOT in our cars sport modes. I didn’t get it and the shifts are still crazy fast in that scenario.

I would be more worried about the transmission with the OTS maps, but even then it’s almost no worry.

Unfortunately xHP got rid of just their flashing license. They now force you to buy the bundle with flashing license and maps.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-12-2024, 08:09 PM   #9
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Race mode for the sutphin tune is just a “super mode” when WOT in our cars sport modes. I didn’t get it and the shifts are still crazy fast in that scenario.

I would be more worried about the transmission with the OTS maps, but even then it’s almost no worry.

Unfortunately xHP got rid of just their flashing license. They now force you to buy the bundle with flashing license and maps.
I see, so if I was to rock the ots stage 2 map would it feel worth or would it be best to ball out and go straight for the sutphin custom tune and ignore the ots maps? How does the trans tune change daily driving? I am heavy on the pedal anyways but just curious if downshifts become more aggressive or is this more of an upshift kind of tune
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2024, 06:49 AM   #10
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

The OTS maps are still worth it. Stick with stage 2 and then tweak any of the properties you want to fine tune it.

There are differences with how the entire trans works, shift points, shift speed, paddle shift speed, etc.

Daily driving is improved no matter how you drive.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-16-2024, 02:50 AM   #11
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
The OTS maps are still worth it. Stick with stage 2 and then tweak any of the properties you want to fine tune it.

There are differences with how the entire trans works, shift points, shift speed, paddle shift speed, etc.

Daily driving is improved no matter how you drive.
Hey I went for it and flashed stage 2! I love it so far but I wanted to ask if you knew how to decrease the fart noise? Its not that bad but i want the fast shifting without the exaggeration. Please let me know what setting to mess with for that
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 02:52 PM   #12
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey I went for it and flashed stage 2! I love it so far but I wanted to ask if you knew how to decrease the fart noise? It's not that bad but i want the fast shifting without the exaggeration. Please let me know what setting to mess with for that
It's definitely worth the money!

The stage 2 maps includes ignition cut shifting. That is where the brraaaapppp comes from when shifting. You will see in the settings that you can customize when ignition cut shifting kicks in but because it's built into the stage 2 map you cannot fully disable it.

You could try playing around with the rpm and ft-lb settings so it doesn't happen as often.

Another option, and before I had the Sutphin Tune, I ran the xhp stage 1 map and then modified things to exactly how I liked. It takes a bunch of trial and error but I could provide some suggestions if you wanted to try that route.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-16-2024, 03:36 PM   #13
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:

The stage 2 maps includes ignition cut shifting. That is where the brraaaapppp comes from when shifting. You will see in the settings that you can customize when ignition cut shifting kicks in but because it's built into the stage 2 map you cannot fully disable it.

You could try playing around with the rpm and ft-lb settings so it doesn't happen as often.

Another option, and before I had the Sutphin Tune, I ran the xhp stage 1 map and then modified things to exactly how I liked. It takes a bunch of trial and error but I could provide some suggestions if you wanted to try that route.
So is stage 1 just less forced options and all like shift points and stuff are similar by default? Theres so many options like torque reduction and torque punch that dont really make sense to me even after watching videos.

Yeah throw me some settings you did that helped out. My priority is a more consistent 60-130 (granted I don't have a dragy yet so this is just butt dyno estimation magic for now)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2024, 01:03 PM   #14
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:

Sorry to bug again but I saw videos and some people say the sutphin is too much for daily driving? Can you confirm? My stage 2 so far has been great (only one time has it hesitated in auto mode from a dig) but besides that it is better than stock
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2024, 11:08 AM   #15
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to bug again but I saw videos and some people say the sutphin is too much for daily driving? Can you confirm? My stage 2 so far has been great (only one time has it hesitated in auto mode from a dig) but besides that it is better than stock
I’ve had b58s for a long time now. I have never seen anything bad ever mentioned about a sutphin tune.

If anything the OTS xHP tunes are too much for daily driving. Sutphin refines everything for the better. Less wear and tear combined with the OTS maps. Overall much more comfortable driving with his tune than xHP in all driving styles. Just reach out to him with any questions. He’s a great guy and has been doing this a long time.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-23-2024, 11:42 AM   #16
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
I’ve had b58s for a long time now. I have never seen anything bad ever mentioned about a sutphin tune.

If anything the OTS xHP tunes are too much for daily driving. Sutphin refines everything for the better. Less wear and tear combined with the OTS maps. Overall much more comfortable driving with his tune than xHP in all driving styles. Just reach out to him with any questions. He’s a great guy and has been doing this a long time.
Would you say sutphin is also faster?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2024, 04:31 PM   #17
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would you say sutphin is also faster?
100%